Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Nationwide mortgage hikes..worth moving to another lender?

Options
  • 12-09-2010 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Hi, I have a mortgage with Irish Nationwide for the past 5 years. I'm on their variable rate and I'm not exactly sure what it is but it's pretty high. Recently there's been 2 hikes in repayments, one jump in June of almost 70 euro and another jump this month of 80 euro. That's 150 euro more in the space of 4 months. Has anyone else been hit...can they hike their rates willy nilly like this at the drop of a hat?
    My other question is would it be worth moving my mortgage to another lender? I'm not up on all the different ones and what rates they charge, so would love to know if any other lender provides better value. Also is it costly and a lot of hassle to move mortgages these days?

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 petermurp

Irish Nationwide have extremely competitive rates at present. You are correct that they have increased their rates recently, but who hasn't?? If you want to protect yourself against further anticipated increases you should look at fixing for a period of 3 years or so, of which INBS have very good rates. Depending on the mortgage amount and your Loan to Value ratio the highest 3 year fixed rate on offer with INBS is 3.65% which is a market leader...

Correction:
    INBS offer a 3 yr fixed at 3.99% to existing customers. Still very competitive. AIB have a 3 yr fixed at 3.89% but aren't actively refinancing mortgages presently. KBC Homeloans( formally IIB Homeloans) offer a 3 yr fixed @ 3.75% provided your LTV is below 80%
    Hope that's of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hi, I have a mortgage with Irish Nationwide for the past 5 years. I'm on their variable rate and I'm not exactly sure what it is but it's pretty high. Recently there's been 2 hikes in repayments, one jump in June of almost 70 euro and another jump this month of 80 euro. That's 150 euro more in the space of 4 months. Has anyone else been hit...can they hike their rates willy nilly like this at the drop of a hat?
    My other question is would it be worth moving my mortgage to another lender? I'm not up on all the different ones and what rates they charge, so would love to know if any other lender provides better value. Also is it costly and a lot of hassle to move mortgages these days?

TIA

Ok you need to at least be aware of the rate you are on at the moment and have a look at other rates from other banks. Also everyone has hiked up rates so its not really a factor.

The rate for them is not too bad to be honest. You may want to consider fixing for 3 years as looks good.

Most lenders will not take on existing mortgages and if so its hard to get approved.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Are you in negative equity at the moment? If so, you're stuck with your current lender for the moment I'm afraid.

Toots* wrote: »
    Are you in negative equity at the moment? If so, you're stuck with your current lender for the moment I'm afraid.

would've thought that was a given!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Some_randomer

That's a good question, really have no clue of the current value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Assuming that you only have the house/appt 5 years then you will be hard pushed to find a bank to move to.

I recently moved to AIB - just got in as they stopped taking movers - and got 5 yrs for 4.25 (Was 3.86 when I started the process but missed it:rolleyes:). I bought in 1998 and my LTV was something like 35% and I was politely told that if it was anything above 50% then forget it. I think this means that if you owe more than half the value of your house then your out of luck; but I would imagine this is open to negotiation.

I left TSB and went to AIB - what galled me the most is this policy of screwing existing customers who are on regular variables and TSB seem to be top of the pile in that respect.

Anyway's - the paperwork I had to go through and the documentation and statements etc I had to provide was massive. You really gotta wonder what the hell went on when all the bad money was lent... they weren't letting me off on anything!!

The whole process cost me approx €1k, and then we paid an extra €800 to get my wifes name on the deeds too at the same time as I had bought myself originally.

HTH
    Paddy

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

petermurp wrote: »
    would've thought that was a given!;)
    Depends on what the OP's original loan to value ratio was. If it was fairly low, like 60% or something, then they could still be in with a shot.
    That's a good question, really have no clue of the current value.
    Have a look on daft.ie or one of those sites and see if there's similar houses going in your area, and see what they're going for. That'd give you a very very rough estimate of what you'd be looking at. Also you need to check what amount you have left outstanding on your mortgage. The most you can borrow now is 92% at the absolute max, so if your mortgage outstanding is more than 92% of the value of your house, then it's not going to be a runner.

Depends on what the OP's original loan to value ratio was. If it was fairly low, like 60% or something, then they could still be in with a shot.

Have a look on daft.ie or one of those sites and see if there's similar houses going in your area, and see what they're going for. That'd give you a very very rough estimate of what you'd be looking at. Also you need to check what amount you have left outstanding on your mortgage. The most you can borrow now is 92% at the absolute max, so if your mortgage outstanding is more than 92% of the value of your house, then it's not going to be a runner.

When I said I thought that was a given , I meant that if the op was in negative equity then a refinance of their mortgage was out of the question with all lenders..

Advertisement