Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strike

Options
  • 03-03-2008 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=341

Connolly services: cancellations due to unofficial action by Corporate Communications

13.00hrs 3rd March 2008

Due to unofficial action by drivers, the following services will be cancelled today:

14.45hrs Pearse-Balbriggan

16.16hrs Balbriggan-Connolly

17.07hrs Connolly-Balbriggan

18.07hrs Balbriggan-Connolly

14.46hrs Connolly-Clonsilla

15.30hrs Clonsilla-Docklands

16.20hrs Docklands-Clonsilla

17.12hrs Clonsilla-Docklands

17.38hrs Docklands-Clonsilla

18.14hrs Clonsilla-Connolly

Customers are advised to travel on other scheduled services on these routes: customers travelling to and from Docklands have the option of travelling on other Docklands services, or diverting to Connolly Station, for Connolly-Maynooth services.

As a result of these cancellations, there are expected to be heavier loadings on other scheduled services this afternoon and evening.

Iarnród Éireann apologises for the inconvenience caused.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

B'stards. Unofficial action should be punishable by flogging by the inconvenienced travelling public (always the innocent victim).

Quite topical as I mentioned the problems of strikes in my submission to the Public Consultation on Sustainable Travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

As far as I am aware this is not due to a strike.

There is currently a work to rule whereby drivers are only working their rosters and not working overtime, or covering for other drivers' illness or absence by working their rest days. This is due to a long list of issues relating to their conditions of work that they feel are not being resolved.

From that list it looks like IÉ are down two drivers this afternoon (for whatever reason) in Connolly and due to the work to rule cannot replace them.

I realise this is no consolation to anyone whose train has been cancelled, but I think that it is important that the difference be highlighted.

Talks are underway at the LRC and hopefully a solution will be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Daymobrew, you are believing what is put on the IE website - i.e. not particularly objective.

RUI report this is due to a lack of drivers not unofficial action.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

KC61 wrote: »
    There is currently a work to rule whereby drivers are only working their rosters and not working overtime, or covering for other drivers' illness or absence by working their rest days. This is due to a long list of issues relating to their conditions of work that they feel are not being resolved.
    I realise this is no consolation to anyone whose train has been cancelled, but I think that it is important that the difference be highlighted.
    You're right it's no consolation to the hundreds who will be put out by this and many won't have found out until they arrive at Docklands station.

I have zero sympathy for the "conditions of work" - cried wolf too many times. IIRC it was Irish Rail drivers that were being driven to Maynooth in taxies to start their shifts. IIRC it was Irish Rail drivers who threatened to strike when the 8 carriage DARTs were introduced. My trust and sympathy has to be earned back and it won't be easy.

daymobrew wrote: »
    You're right it's no consolation to the hundreds who will be put out by this and many won't have found out until they arrive at Docklands station.

I have zero sympathy for the "conditions of work" - cried wolf too many times. IIRC it was Irish Rail drivers that were being driven to Maynooth in taxies to start their shifts. IIRC it was Irish Rail drivers who threatened to strike when the 8 carriage DARTs were introduced. My trust and sympathy has to be earned back and it won't be easy.

It was actually Longford that the taxi issue arose - there were drivers based there to cover the morning trains, but none for the evenings. Hence the Connolly drivers had to cover them, and be sent back to Dublin in taxis. That has now resolved itself as there are more drivers based there, and the extra train works back to Dublin.

Either way, it would appear that there are insufficient drivers to cover the current timetable without resorting to overtime, and this is part of the issue in this dispute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0304/rail.html
    Fresh contact due in train drivers' dispute
    Tuesday, 4 March 2008 15:00

The Labour Relations Commission was expected to renew contact with management and unions at Iarnród Éireann today, as part of the continuing efforts to resolve a dispute over driver rostering.

Talks at the commission adjourned without agreement yesterday.

The dispute has caused disruption to train services.

Today's 6.30am Portlaoise to Dublin Heuston train and the 5.35pm train from Heuston to Carlow are cancelled.

Ten trains in the north Dublin area were also cancelled yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Polar101

"customers travelling to and from Docklands have the option of travelling on other Docklands services"

Interesting, wonder what other services IE are running to Docklands?

Polar101 wrote: »
    "customers travelling to and from Docklands have the option of travelling on other Docklands services"

Interesting, wonder what other services IE are running to Docklands?

There are two trains allocated to Docklands. Only one was off, the second was operating.

Advertisement