Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Ice Storm wrote: »
    Maybe it was Beibhinn?

Although I would pronounce it Bevin.

I've heard it pronounced both ways but more often an bev-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

Yeah that's probably it alright - was a new one on me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Ice Storm wrote: »
    Maybe it was Beibhinn?

Although I would pronounce it Bevin.

I love the name Beibhinn, but hubby hates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

tishandy wrote: »
    Due in 5 weeks with my third girl and cannot think of a single girls name I want.
    My two daughters already are called Evie and Sadhbh so I want something that doesn't sound alike to those.
    Also I love flowery names like "Rose" "Fearne" and "lily" but my surname is the name of a plant so that rules those out :( .
    I kind of like "Jaime" would she be confused as a boy a lot?

You could go with the Irish for a flower - Róise or Nóinín.

Jaime is 'jaym' to me, Jaimie maybe or Jamie Lee (as in Curtis). It seems to be more common as a girl's name nowadays.

If you want another Irish name, I've always liked Síofra and Aifric.

P.S. I LOVE your girls' names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Nóinín is so sweet, it's Daisy is it?

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Nóinín is so sweet, it's Daisy is it?

Yep. I think it'd be gorgeous on a wee girl, not so sure about an adult though.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nuttykat

tishandy wrote: »
    I love the name Beibhinn, but hubby hates it.

Same as that! Hoping he'll change his mind

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

You could go with the Irish for a flower - Róise or Nóinín.

Jaime is 'jaym' to me, Jaimie maybe or Jamie Lee (as in Curtis). It seems to be more common as a girl's name nowadays.

If you want another Irish name, I've always liked Síofra and Aifric.

P.S. I LOVE your girls' names.

Thanks Implausible. Roise is one of my fav names but again my husband wont hear of it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

Where I work see lots of Irish names. There was a guy a couple of weeks back called Lughaidh. He was in his 40's. First time I've seen Louis spelled that way. He said he lived in a gaeltacht area so never had a problem with people pronouncing it or spelling it. I really like it!

Glad to see Róise is picking up speed, my favorite name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I usually am not mad on Irish names, but have recently fallen in love with the name Peadar. We aren't expecting, but are always playing about with names. We would tend to be drawn towards uncommon, sometimes kooky names, but I just love the way Peadar sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

ElleEm wrote: »
    I usually am not mad on Irish names, but have recently fallen in love with the name Peadar. We aren't expecting, but are always playing about with names. We would tend to be drawn towards uncommon, sometimes kooky names, but I just love the way Peadar sounds.

Shocking choice in my opinion - unless you're from knocknagoshal!
    Up there with Tadhg

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

I like the name tadgh. Peadar however? No!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

A week ago I would have agreed with yiz, but I just love the flow of it or something. And I never met a Peadar so I feel like it can work for a baby in my head.
    I also really like the name Tadgh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I cannot see any reason for the harsh reaction to Peader. It's a good Irish name. Not one I would chose personally, but it's nice. Also Tadgh is another such good name. You'd swear they were names such as Toot-Toot and Pikachu the way some people react!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I cannot see any reason for the harsh reaction to Peader. It's a good Irish name. Not one I would chose personally, but it's nice. Also Tadgh is another such good name. You'd swear they were names such as Toot-Toot and Pikachu the way some people react!

I prefer pikachu to peader personally :D

peader puts mein mind of an aul farmer dressed in tweed with a flat cap and a pipe. could of course be due to the fact that my mother had an uncle peader who was an aul farmer dressed in tweed and a flat cap with a pipe!

Rachel_Ann wrote: »
    Where I work see lots of Irish names. There was a guy a couple of weeks back called Lughaidh. He was in his 40's. First time I've seen Louis spelled that way.

It has no relation to the name Louis really. Lugh was an ancient god, the month of August (Lúnasa) is named after him.

Toot-toot is better than Peader or Tadhg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Karmella wrote: »
    Was in the park yesterday and overheard a girl's name I'd never heard before - it was pronounced Bay-Van ....

Sounds like it is Irish. Certainly very unusual anyway. Didn't like it if I'm honest.

This one has come onto my top 3 list in the last week after spotting it on facebook. i've been looking into it and there are 2 variations:

bay-veen (beibhinn)

bay-van (beibheann)

i'm considering beibheann, really like it actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Lucuma wrote: »
    This one has come onto my top 3 list in the last week after spotting it on facebook. i've been looking into it and there are 2 variations:

bay-veen (beibhinn)

bay-van (beibheann)

i'm considering beibheann, really like it actually.

To me, Bebheann is pronounced like Bevvin.

Beibhinn doesn't look quite right. And I can't even explain why, but Beibheann really doesn't, if you want to think of it as an Irish name? There's an unnecessary vowel in there somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

To me, Bebheann is pronounced like Bevvin.

Beibhinn doesn't look quite right. And I can't even explain why, but Beibheann really doesn't, if you want to think of it as an Irish name? There's an unnecessary vowel in there somewhere!

Yeah I dunno I saw Béibhinn on a fb forum I'm in, I sent her a PM and asked her how her name is pronounced and she replied 'it's Bay-veen'
    And Béibheann I got from a book I bought in Waterstones called 'A-Z of Irish Names for children' by Diarmaid O' Muirithe. He has a pronouncuation guide at the back and it says that Béibheann is pronounced Bay-van. It also gives the story of Bèibheann in the book, she was a character in Agallamh na Seanórach she was spotted by Fionn Mac Cumhaill one day when he was out walking with 1 of his warriors. She was a giant woman fleeing her giant husband and on the story goes....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Lucuma wrote: »
    Yeah I dunno I saw Béibhinn on a fb forum I'm in, I sent her a PM and asked her how her name is pronounced and she replied 'it's Bay-veen'
    And Béibheann I got from a book I bought in Waterstones called 'A-Z of Irish Names for children' by Diarmaid O' Muirithe. He has a pronouncuation guide at the back and it says that Béibheann is pronounced Bay-van. It also gives the story of Bèibheann in the book, she was a character in Agallamh na Seanórach she was spotted by Fionn Mac Cumhaill one day when he was out walking with 1 of his warriors. She was a giant woman fleeing her giant husband and on the story goes....

I'm an Irish speaker and one of my dogs is called Béibhinn - it's pronounced Bay-veen. It means 'fair lady'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Toot-toot is better than Peader or Tadhg

In your opinion, and that is all it is, an opinion, which of course you are entitled to have.

But they are two normal names, no different to Peter and Tom really.

In your opinion, and that is all it is, an opinion, which of course you are entitled to have.

But they are two normal names, no different to Peter and Tom really.

Of course it's just my opinion - no better or worse than anyone else in this matter.

I prefer Peter and Tom (or even Tim) though

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭BarraOG

List of given names typical among Irish speakers. Note that not all names are Irish (e.g. Tim, Amy) or even the Irish spelling of an Irish Name (e.g. Neil, Ryan). Also note that the name "Aodán" is confusing since it suggests that the d should be pronounced (as in English version Aidan), even though in Irish it is silent (correct spelling is actually Aodhán). Seánie is also an unusual name since it postfixes the name Seán with the English "ie".

Most common names appear first in the lists.

Male:

Seán, Ciarán, Mícheál, Tomás, Cathal, Pól, Micheál, Pádraig, Colm, Liam, Cian, Gearóid, Diarmuid, Cormac, Máirtín, Séamus, Brian, Eoin, Niall, Caoimhín, Oisín, Stiofán, Muiris, Daithí, Darren, Barra, Aodán, Damien, Tadhg, Éamonn, Seosamh, Peadar, Éanna, Ruairí, Eoghan, Dónall, Aindriú, Seamus, Conall, Fiachra, Rónán, Sean, Dáithí, Críostóir, Diarmaid, Dónal, Neil, Darragh, Eóin, Déaglán, Andrew, Mark, Conchúr, Aodh, James, Donnchadh, Ciaran, Criostóir, Lorcán, Marcas, Gearoid, Ian, Cionnaith, John, Stíofán, Tim, Pádraic, Dylan, Deaglán, Ryan, Malachy, Ruaidhrí, Jonathan, Murt, Kevin, Philip, Domhnall, Derek, Aodhán, Séan, Fergal, Pilib, Fionn, Callum, Alan, Dan, Feargal, Breandan, Proinsias, Breandán, Daniel, Odhrán, Paul, Conchúir, Maitiú, Naoise, Dara, Marcus, Tommie, Stephen, Caomhán, Maitiu, Réamonn, Seánie, Gavin, Aonghus, Deasún

Female:

Niamh, Aoife, Sinéad, Aisling, Emma, Deirdre, Áine, Ciara, Siobhán, Eimear, Máire, Caoimhe, Róisín, Bríd, Sarah, Sorcha, Orla, Gráinne, Clár, Lisa, Fiona, Amy, Eithne, Maria, Caitríona, Karen, Edel, Gillian, Eibhlín, Caitlín, Elaine, Clíona, Kate, Neasa, Kelly, Brídín, Dearbhla, Úna, Saoirse, Lorraine, Michelle, Dee, Síofra, Maire, Mairéad, Emer, Laoise, Méabh, Danielle, Mairead, Cáit, Oonagh, Louise, Cíara, Marian, Íde, Laura, Jess, Doireann, Rebecca, Rachel, Catríona, Martina, Eileen, Clíodhna, Cliona, Cailín, Níamh, Tara, Aifric, Ellen, Orlaith, Muireann, Eilís, Caroline, Brenda, Dearbhaile, Jessie, Andrea, Katie, Hazel, Carol, Christine, Christina, Cliodhna, Meadhbh, Mary, Cristín, Jenny, Ailín, Charlotte, Pádraigín, Éadaoin, Máirín, Tríona, Shona, Nóirín, Sharon, Dawn, Áine Máire, Shóna, Nóra, Ailbhe, Lorna, Seána, Leah, Gemma, Shauna, Bláithín, Deborah, Aoibheann, Clodagh, Nuala, Olivia, Aine, Claire, Roisin, Helena, Becky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Quackles wrote: »
    Oooh names :) My favourite subject!

Boy names:
    Darwin
    Elijah
    Joshua (but I hate Josh, so maybe not)
    Ferdia
    Diarmuid
    Senan

Girl names:
    Alice
    Aoife
    Ailbhe
    Caoimhe
    Maebh
    Eve
    Muireann
    Caoimhinn
    Realtin
    Siofra
    Laoise

My firstborn is Emmett, if he was a girl he'd have been Ciara, but I've totally gone off that now. I'm going to keep it quiet, maybe. I'm telling everyone Ghenghis for a boy, Gobnait for a girl.

Although your post is 6 years old, please tell me you didn't name your kid one of those

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

What is wrong with them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I know a Darwin who's about 5/6, he's in my daughters class.

How is Aodhán pronounced? I heard someone say "A-dawn" the other day but other people say "A' in a elongated way? Correct, incorrect? I have no idea!

Supposed to spell Aodhan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Rachel_Ann wrote: »
    How is Aodhán pronounced? I heard someone say "A-dawn" the other day but other people say "A' in a elongated way? Correct, incorrect? I have no idea!

The correct pronunciation is the long A. If you imagine ay as in hay then it's ay-dawn.

Advertisement