Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double buggy confusion

Options
  • 16-07-2014 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I'm due my 2nd baby in October. My son will be 19 months when the 2nd one is born so i don't think I'll get away without a double buggy.

At the weekend i had a look at the Out n About Nipper and almost bought it but said I'd think about it first. Now I'm not sure.

My issue is that i was going to sell my Uppababy and just have the double. Then I thought what if i just want to go for a walk with the baby (my son will be spending some time with the childminder) - i'd need a single for that - so maybe i should get a convertible one. I have a cheap stroller but obviously can't use that with a baby for quite a while.

My sister has the Baby Jogger City Select but i find it very heavy with two kids to get up and down kerbs etc. Its like a train!

I don't like the Phil n Teds type. Think my son would go crazy if he was in the bottom seat.

Should i just hold on to the Uppababy, buy the Out n About and then sell whatever i don't need in a few months time? Any other options that might be good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I'm not up to date with all the hip buggies but I got the gracho trekko and love it. It can be a double or single and my two Love it.. Its down from 260 to 150 in Smyth's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I'm due my 2nd baby in October. My son will be 19 months when the 2nd one is born so i don't think I'll get away without a double buggy.

At the weekend i had a look at the Out n About Nipper and almost bought it but said I'd think about it first. Now I'm not sure.

My issue is that i was going to sell my Uppababy and just have the double. Then I thought what if i just want to go for a walk with the baby (my son will be spending some time with the childminder) - i'd need a single for that - so maybe i should get a convertible one. I have a cheap stroller but obviously can't use that with a baby for quite a while.

My sister has the Baby Jogger City Select but i find it very heavy with two kids to get up and down kerbs etc. Its like a train!

I don't like the Phil n Teds type. Think my son would go crazy if he was in the bottom seat.

Should i just hold on to the Uppababy, buy the Out n About and then sell whatever i don't need in a few months time? Any other options that might be good?

You don't want "rumble seat" on the vista? I personally am not into tandem buggies. I always see people with the out n out nipper and the baby jogger city mini double.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

I had a look at the rumble seat but it just didn't look like it would be comfortable. Also, if using it I'd need to use the car seat for the baby

I had a look at the rumble seat but it just didn't look like it would be comfortable. Also, if using it I'd need to use the car seat for the baby

I totally agree with you :)

Yeah, its not really much of an option.
    I'm struggling to let go of the Uppababy so maybe I'll just hang on to it and buy a baby jogger city mini double or out n about nipper 2nd hand

• Advertisement

Yeah, its not really much of an option.
    I'm struggling to let go of the Uppababy so maybe I'll just hang on to it and buy a baby jogger city mini double or out n about nipper 2nd hand

I would sell it tbh and buy your double buggy! Even when eldest is walking you will use your stroller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Househunter I've the exact same age gap as you will have. I sold my bugaboo and bought a double (baby jogger city mini double - fantastic by the way). And from the outset I really regretted selling my bugaboo. Ended up buying another single buggy (city mini single) so I could take baby out on her own sometimes which tbh is lovely and very easy with a single. We had a maclaren and even tho it is suitable for newborns I just wanted something a bit more sturdy that could also carry the car seat.

IMHO I really think you should hold on to your single for now and also buy a double. You can always sell your single if you decide it's not being used after baby comes....

If you are looking for a double I would rate the baby joggers ahead of the out and abouts. The seats are bigger (we have a big boy) and they collapse easier. My friend had the out and about double and she has to take the wheels off to fit it in her car. She wouldn't have it do that with the baby jogger. And it's just so easy and so handy. The out and about would have been our second choice tho....

Thanks Sligo1 - good to get advice from someone in the same situation. My husband wants to just have the one buggy (a space issue really) but I think I'll hang on to the Uppababy for now. Like you say, I can sell it later. I'm looking at the Baby Jogger City Mini double too - think they sell that in Mothercare, must check it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I'm raging to hear this :( My little boy will only be 12 months when the new baby is born and I had my heart set on the City Select. I already have a City Mini (a godsend!), the reason I bought it was because I have back problems and this was the only buggy I could manage to lift in and out the car etc. When I bought it, the lady in mothercare told me that if I had another baby, the Select double would be the way to go because it's not much heavier than the Mini and has the easy fold as well? I much prefer a tandem so I guess the mini double is out for me.

I'm raging to hear this :( My little boy will only be 12 months when the new baby is born and I had my heart set on the City Select. I already have a City Mini (a godsend!), the reason I bought it was because I have back problems and this was the only buggy I could manage to lift in and out the car etc. When I bought it, the lady in mothercare told me that if I had another baby, the Select double would be the way to go because it's not much heavier than the Mini and has the easy fold as well? I much prefer a tandem so I guess the mini double is out for me.

Are you sure it was the city select double she was talking about and not the city mini double? These are 2 different buggies altogether. The baby jogger curt mini double is basically like a double side by side buggy of the city mini single. It has the easy fold like the single and is the most light weight buggy you will find on the market. Retails for around €450-€500.

The baby jogger city select is a double buggy tandem (one seat behind and one seat infront). It is a lot heavy than the city mini double and as far as I know doesn't have the easy fold that the city mini double has. That's why I think you have confused the 2? I'm pretty sure to fold the city select you have to take the seats off etc while in double mode. I think the select price is around te €800 mark and above? Gets more expensive depending what mode you're using it in...

• Advertisement

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Are you sure it was the city select double she was talking about and not the city mini double? These are 2 different buggies altogether. The baby jogger curt mini double is basically like a double side by side buggy of the city mini single. It has the easy fold like the single and is the most light weight buggy you will find on the market. Retails for around €450-€500.

The baby jogger city select is a double buggy tandem (one seat behind and one seat infront). It is a lot heavy than the city mini double and as far as I know doesn't have the easy fold that the city mini double has. That's why I think you have confused the 2? I'm pretty sure to fold the city select you have to take the seats off etc while in double mode. I think the select price is around te €800 mark and above? Gets more expensive depending what mode you're using it in...

Yup, it was definitely the select double because she actually pointed out the city mini double to me first abd I told her that I wouldn't like a side by side double buggy, I'd rather a tandem. So then she said 'ah well the city select double is the way to go so. More expensive but more versatile and not that much heavier blah blah...' Of course, looking back at it now, she was probably just talking up the select because it's more expensive :)

Yup, it was definitely the select double because she actually pointed out the city mini double to me first abd I told her that I wouldn't like a side by side double buggy, I'd rather a tandem. So then she said 'ah well the city select double is the way to go so. More expensive but more versatile and not that much heavier blah blah...' Of course, looking back at it now, she was probably just talking up the select because it's more expensive :)

Lol. Ah ok. I didn't think the select had the easy fold mechanism of the double mini tho? I thought you had to take the seats or basinettes off before folding it? Anyone with the select please feel free to correct :). And it's definitely heavier with the extra parts. That's why we chose the city mini. :)

Just checked the instruction video on their website, looks like it has the folding mechanism for the select single but by the looks of it, I presume you'd have to remove the second seat to fold it. How do you find the mini double for maneuvering/going in and out of shops etc?

Just checked the instruction video on their website, looks like it has the folding mechanism for the select single but by the looks of it, I presume you'd have to remove the second seat to fold it. How do you find the mini double for maneuvering/going in and out of shops etc?

Yea I thought you had to take the seat off before folding. That's pretty much what I meant by its not the exact same easy fold as the city mini. Or perhaps just not as quick.

I had an absolute phobia of double biggies initially if I'm honest! My mum was telling me they were ridiculous blah blah and tht I should just keep my bugaboo and get a sling. Which I think was a bit unrealistic tbh. Tried out a load Of doubles including the city select and ended up getting the mini. It's a lifesaver!!! It's not heavy compared to a lot of other doubles. I was looking at the bugaboo donkey aswell for example. And it's just so so simple. Take the 2 babies out, pop them in the car, grasp the 2 fold handles and hey presto... It's collapsed and just throw it in the boot. I go for walks with it every day for an hr and half uphill... And I find it lighter than the single bugaboo I had! Maybe thats just coz I'm fitter now! Lol. And with the shops it's totally grand. I've never had a problem wheeling it around any shops in Dublin or taking it anywhere... Yet... That was a big concern of mine tbh... That the side by side wouldn't be narrow enough to get around shops and through doors etc. but its never been a problem. One thing is do tho is measure your house entrance door just to make sure it will get through!

P.s. I'm not a rep for baby jogger!! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Yea I thought you had to take the seat off before folding. That's pretty much what I meant by its not the exact same easy fold as the city mini. Or perhaps just not as quick.

I had an absolute phobia of double biggies initially if I'm honest! My mum was telling me they were ridiculous blah blah and tht I should just keep my bugaboo and get a sling. Which I think was a bit unrealistic tbh. Tried out a load Of doubles including the city select and ended up getting the mini. It's a lifesaver!!! It's not heavy compared to a lot of other doubles. I was looking at the bugaboo donkey aswell for example. And it's just so so simple. Take the 2 babies out, pop them in the car, grasp the 2 fold handles and hey presto... It's collapsed and just throw it in the boot. I go for walks with it every day for an hr and half uphill... And I find it lighter than the single bugaboo I had! Maybe thats just coz I'm fitter now! Lol. And with the shops it's totally grand. I've never had a problem wheeling it around any shops in Dublin or taking it anywhere... Yet... That was a big concern of mine tbh... That the side by side wouldn't be narrow enough to get around shops and through doors etc. but its never been a problem. One thing is do tho is measure your house entrance door just to make sure it will get through!

P.s. I'm not a rep for baby jogger!! Lol

Hi, just wondering does this buggy take a Maxi Cosi or similar for newborns? It's all so complicated!!

Hi, just wondering does this buggy take a Maxi Cosi or similar for newborns? It's all so complicated!!

The city mini double doesn't take the maxi cosi but the city mini single and the city select do. The city mini double will take a basinette attachment tho. But we didnt get the basinette as the seat lies flat so if fine for newborn. The basinette looks nice but you'd prob only use it for a couple of months.

You can get a car seat adapter for the city mini double, not sure how much it costs but it looks a little awkward to me.... http://www.babyjogger.com/product/city-mini-double/

You can get a car seat adapter for the city mini double, not sure how much it costs but it looks a little awkward to me.... http://www.babyjogger.com/product/city-mini-double/

Nope unfortunately you definitely can't on the uk and Irish versions. That's a USA web page and te dimensions of the buggy is slightly different apparently which enables it to fit the carseat and adapters. Lol... I asked all this prior to buying mine and showed them this same web page :). Thought I was on a roll hen saw the carseat on it inthe picture... But unfortunately not :(

Re: the City select - i think the heaviness has a lot to do with the fact that its a tandem and its long so theres a child on the end of it making it difficult to get up kerbs. My husband even finds it difficult but my sister thinks its great so i think you'd have to try it out to know for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 6 flagnoflag

Hey there,would you not rethink the phil and teds, We got the classic reduced in smyths for 299, half price, it has worked a dream, our kids are 5, 3 and now 1, it was just fantastic, lightweight but so sturdy and strong, very easy to get in and out of car, easy to keep clean, we bought the cosy thing for the baby to sleep in from 0-6 months, snug as a bug. really I think you should try it, just my twopence worth, good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

Re: the City select - i think the heaviness has a lot to do with the fact that its a tandem and its long so theres a child on the end of it making it difficult to get up kerbs. My husband even finds it difficult but my sister thinks its great so i think you'd have to try it out to know for sure

If u put the heavier baby near the handle it's much easier to manoeuvre. Big fan if the city select - have 15 month age gap.
    Def need some muscle to get up steps as ur right the fact that it's a tandem means you will always have to lift one but other that's that it pushes like a dream and has a great basket and they can face each other or away and we have our buggy board on it now too and it works great with that, I manage all of that and the dog on several walks per week! If I'm nipping to the shops I often take my stroller and a sling or even the sling and a scooter! But no issue ever with the baby jogger fitting in shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

Also big fan of city select, have 12 months gap and then 22 months so have been using it for 3 years. The trick to getting it up steps is to just use foot on bottom bar to tip it up. I find the fold easy, even though you have to take off seats.

Advertisement