Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeves and reactions to them

Options
  • 28-12-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

Ok,

Just wondering for those with full sleeves done...

In office environments, has your sleeve(s) held you back, have you not gotten jobs because of it? Are you required to cover it at all times?

I got a piece done when my son was born , from the shoulder to my 'tshirt sleeve line' so depending on the TShirt nothing is visible in work or the bottom inch is. I've never had anyone comment on it nor is there a policy on having visible tattoos where I work. I'm now looking to get else something done as we've added to the son ;) and when trying to work out where to get it done, I keep landing on the same arm.

However, im not delusional enough to think I'll never be leaving my current job, so I'm just wondering is a sleeve likely to hamper me if it came to looking for another job? do companies have policies to keep tatts covered?

I firmly believe in doing your own thing but I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot either

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I guess it really depends on the office environment. Some places can be a bit 'funny' about them.

A good philosophy to take is to only get places tattooed where a long sleeve collared shirt will cover them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The way I look at it, when thinking of ink if it will hamper your future job. Imagine working for the most clean cut anything kind of company/manager/boss.

Piercings? no, tattoos? no? Dressing up in a diaper and posting pics online? no.

Basically no

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

The way I look at it, when thinking of ink if it will hamper your future job. Imagine working for the most clean cut anything kind of company/manager/boss.

Piercings? no, tattoos? no? Dressing up in a diaper and posting pics online? no.

Basically no

You're supposed to work to live, not live to work y'know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

You're supposed to work to live, not live to work y'know.

You own the company you make the rules. Don't like it? Start a company and change the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Even if I did start my own company, I still wouldn't want Raze posting pics of himself in a nappy online.

Or anywhere else.

:pac:

The solution if you think the tattoo sleeve would/could be an issue is long sleeves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Mine stops at shirt sleeve length wear a long sleeve shirt and it cant be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

its different if you are female, women are more likely to be wearing blouses/shirts in an office environment without long sleeves and or a high collar.

it would be absurd to think visible tattoos couldn't present problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Yes to be honest. You are fairly safe with sleeves. Hands, neck and face you are barking up a completely different tree. I have been to loads of interviews, every time dressed in an extremely dressy suit. I could have crocodile skin under it for all the interviewer knew.

When I worked outdoors all my employers couldn't care less about my tattoos.
    Now that I'm in an office environment I always cover them with long sleeves (you have to if you want to remain professional). Hell my current colleagues only found out I had two sleeves after a work do about six months into the my current position.

Boss hates them with venom but I certainly wouldn't stop him from promoting me or anything like that.

Advertisement