Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Coleman with another 90 min played today with Everton. He has to make it in the 2012 squad. Forget McCarthy, Coleman has to be in

He's been playing on the wing, has he? Any chance he'd be ready to play right back at the Euros? Coleman O'Shea Dunne Ward looks like a useful back 4...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

tolosenc wrote: »
    He's been playing on the wing, has he? Any chance he'd be ready to play right back at the Euros? Coleman O'Shea Dunne Ward looks like a useful back 4...

I can only recall Coleman playing rightback for Everton once (his debut) and we lost that game 5-0. He'll be played on the wing by Moyes for the rest of the season unless both Neville and Hibbert are injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

I would say that Trap is not gonna change his system any time soon and will keep with the players that have got us to where we are.

I was at the game on Tue. Hunt did not impress me at all starting. He is normally the lad who replaces McGeady when he runs outta steam. My idea for future would be, if McGeady is coming off, don't replace him with Hunt. Switch Duff to the left and bring on Coleman to fill in at right midfield.

After 2012 it will be McGeady and Coleman on the team sheet first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Just a side note, looking at the match programme from Tuesday, its fitting that Stephen Ward is on the cover, since he scored our only goal!

Maybe next time we need a win, they'll stick Keane, Duff, Dunne and McGeady on the cover!! ;)

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Maybe next time we need a win, they'll stick Keane, Duff, Dunne and McGeady on the cover!! ;)

Or the entire starting 11.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If Moyes doesn't think he's up to it defensively, then Trap defo won't play him there. Besides Sledge has been doing pretty well at CB. Realistically, the back four is the last part of the team that needs changing.

As an aside, just watching Prem Soccr Sat there and Razor comes out with the awesome line "We all know that Wes Hoolohan, technically wise, is as good as anyone there is". :eek::eek:

I find there's a bit of a spasticated disconnect from reality with a load of people when it comes to discussing the quality of our national players and who should be in the national team and I think much of it's source is RTE.

In Ireland, we kind of love saying how our pundits are so much better and straight down the line than the UK's. The reality is that we sh1te on as much as anyone about our own national players.

I mean FFS who was there to say, 'hang on Ray, are we including past players in this? Because as good as he is, I think Zidane might have been up there with Wes'.

gosplan wrote: »
    If Moyes doesn't think he's up to it defensively, then Trap defo won't play him there. Besides Sledge has been doing pretty well at CB. Realistically, the back four is the last part of the team that needs changing.

As an aside, just watching Prem Soccr Sat there and Razor comes out with the awesome line "We all know that Wes Hoolohan, technically wise, is as good as anyone there is". :eek::eek:

I find there's a bit of a spasticated disconnect from reality with a load of people when it comes to discussing the quality of our national players and who should be in the national team and I think much of it's source is RTE.

In Ireland, we kind of love saying how our pundits are so much better and straight down the line than the UK's. The reality is that we sh1te on as much as anyone about our own national players.

I mean FFS who was there to say, 'hang on Ray, are we including past players in this? Because as good as he is, I think Zidane might have been up there with Wes'.

Real Madrid are going to be pissed when they realise they could have just picked up Hoolahan a few years a go and saved themselves 79 million...

Agreed that our pundits are awful, but they're not as bad as Shearer and Lineker who have got to be bankrolled by the England coach and players.

Just read something there (in Italian and behind a paywall) about how qualification will work for Euro 2016. 23 qualifiers + France then, so the assumption has been that it'll be the same format as now, but with group runners up qualifying automatically and the 3rd place teams having a go in the playoffs.

But Platini has supposedly suggested that the 52 teams could be split into 13 groups of 4 in an initial phase, with the winners qualifying automatically, and the last place teams being eliminated, leaving a 26 team second phase (possibility that worst 3rd place would also go home to get the number to 25). Then 5 groups of 5, with the top 2 qualifying. Some mention of UEFA organised friendlies for the early qualifiers.

We currently are ranked 14th by UEFA coefficient. We need Trap to give us a good qualifying campaign to keep us there (France are above us so we are effectively 13th) if that is how qualification will work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

What a touch by Brady for the under 21's

Apparently none of Trapattoni's staff were at the game v Liechtenstein which is a little disappointing IMO. I suspect Brady and Cunningham will get call ups for the friendlies prior to Euro 2012.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Apparently none of Trapattoni's staff were at the game v Liechtenstein which is a little disappointing IMO.

Bigger fish to fry?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Bigger fish to fry?

Like what? We face a situation where our squad could be obliterated after the Euros. Given, Duff, O'Shea, Dunne, Keane...could all be gone. I think it's important he looks at the underage sides to see what the spine of our team is going to be post Euro 2012 and if possible take one or two to Euro 2012 if they have the ability and give them that experience.

But he really should be attending at least some of the games in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

My brother and a few mates were up at that U-21 game. Unfortunately i wasn't. Said Brady played very good, as did Cunningham and the young Wigan centre half Kiernan. Also said Clifford looks very good in midfield. Would love to see some of these called up to the senior squad but when Coleman and McCarthy are finding it hard to get game time, i can't see it happening.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Like what?

Well there was the small matter of the playoff second leg the next day...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Looks like Fergie made a cracking decision selling O'Shea, he has been crap for Sunderland. Worrying from a ROI perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Read in the paper today Trap only wants to add one new player to the squad and that is Anthony Pilkington. It's the Sunday World though so may require a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭briany

Read in the paper today Trap only wants to add one new player to the squad and that is Anthony Pilkington. It's the Sunday World though so may require a pinch of salt.

Any paper that would employ Roy Curtis requires it's stories to be taken with more than a pinch if you ask me. The amount needed would give the top brass at Saxa sleepless nights.

One player to look at or want would be a huge disappointment. Options should be explored and I hope they will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I doubt even Trap knows the 23 man squad at this stage, let along the Sunday World. If a Robbie Brady type were to get a loan move to a Premiership team and do well, there is always the possibility of them being included. Look at Walters. Situations change and players get opportunities.

Given that the likes of Coleman and McCarthy are in the squad, I doubt there will be too many changes. Though, if he brings McShane I may have to reconsider giving up on playing for Ireland at a major tournament...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

briany wrote: »
    Any paper that would employ Roy Curtis requires it's stories to be taken with more than a pinch if you ask me.

totally agree i dont really get too irritated by what journalists write but he really bugs the sh1te out of me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

totally agree i dont really get too irritated by what journalists write but he really bugs the sh1te out of me

what bugs me even more is that he is employed for one and also the way the Sunday World will print any kind of made up rumour on the back page. 1 in 50 of them might come true and if it does, you can be sure Sunday World will boast about their guess, i mean "exclusive"....:rolleyes:

Trap has no idea what the squad is yet although I imagine he is going to be quite loyal to the players that got to the tournament, doubt the likes of Wilson, Hoolohan, Pilkington will get enough of a look in for the Euros, more so for the next campaign id say...

• Advertisement

How many friendly fixtures will Ireland play between now and the start of the tournament? We need a few to really get a good look at any players who might hope to break into the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

How many friendly fixtures will Ireland play between now and the start of the tournament? We need a few to really get a good look at any players who might hope to break into the squad.

3 or 4?
    I'd say 1 in the spring and 2 before the tournament. Maybe another squeezed in.

Squelchy wrote: »
    3 or 4?
    I'd say 1 in the spring and 2 before the tournament. Maybe another squeezed in.

From what we've seen by the way Trap operates, by the time those pre tournament warm up games take place, he'll want his final squad ready. I was hoping for something more like one friendly a month between Feb and May. At this rate, I'd be quite surprised indeed to see any of the names mentioned get a real sniff of a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Up 4 places to 21 in the new World Rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

From what we've seen by the way Trap operates, by the time those pre tournament warm up games take place, he'll want his final squad ready.

You're dead right, of course.

Up 4 places to 21 in the new World Rankings.

I'm unsure about the decimal points invlolved, but had we beaten Estonia in the Aviva, we'd be up to 15th or 16th.

Workings:
    Ireland (21) 864 pts
    Cote d'Ivoire (16) 912 pts
    France (15) 915 pts

Points for a win over Estonia: 1057.5
    Points for a draw with Estonia: 352.5

Difference: 705

Matches played this year: 14 (divide all match points by this)

Average: 705/14 = 50.35 (Weighting is 100% for this year's games)

864 + 50 = 914 (plus any decimals; if it was 864.15 to begin with, we're on 915)

Also, that's the last of the Stan era results gone from our record. It'll be gone from our UEFA coefficient after the Euros.

That means that Ireland may be pushing for a second seed spot for the next Euro qualifiers although it's a long way off yet and a lot could happen between now and then. Actually, I think a second seed spot would have little more than a bragging point if the team drew a third seed who were in any way handy.

That means that Ireland may be pushing for a second seed spot for the next Euro qualifiers although it's a long way off yet and a lot could happen between now and then. Actually, I think a second seed spot would have little more than a bragging point if the team drew a third seed who were in any way handy.

Basically, we could have the same group as for WC 2014, but with Scotland instead of Sweden. Yes please.

I wonder does anyone know of any YBIG equivalents for other countries who qualified? It would be interesting to read what they are saying in the lead up to the draw. I cannot think many of them would have much apprehension about drawing Ireland in any case but it would be nice to get an outside take nonetheless.

• Advertisement

I wonder does anyone know of any YBIG equivalents for other countries who qualified? It would be interesting to read what they are saying in the lead up to the draw. I cannot think many of them would have much apprehension about drawing Ireland in any case but it would be nice to get an outside take nonetheless.

Dunno, but I have a lot of Italian friends and they would want Czech and Denmark before us apparantly. They hold Trap in enormously high regard.

Engerlanders are never going to say that they want Ireland even if they secretly do.

Spain, Germany, and Holland ought not to care who they draw, save ending up in the same group asa one of the others.

I reckon Russia would love another shot at us.

I doubt Poland and Ukraine will want us as that's the one match they'll be targetting for a win, and Ireland tend not to lose all that often.

No idea for the 3rd seeds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement