Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons why you should have owned/should own: The PSP

Options
  • 23-05-2011 12:26pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the delay, was a bit busy over the weekend! We step forward over 2 decades this week for something a bit more modern. The much underrated PSP!
    psp_1.jpg
    The PlayStation Portable (プレイステーション・ポータブル, Pureisutēshon Pōtaburu?, officially abbreviated PSP) is a handheld game console manufactured and marketed by Sony Corporation Development of the console was announced during E2003, and it was unveiled on May 11, 2004, at a Sony press conference before E3 2004. The system was released in Japan on December 12, 2004, in North America on March 24, 2005, and in the PAL Region on September 1, 2005.

The PlayStation Portable is the first handheld video game console to use an optical disc format, Universal Media Disc(UMD), as its primary storage medium. Other distinguishing features of the console include its large viewing screen, robust multi-media capabilities, and connectivity with the Playstation 2, Playstation 3, other PSPs, and the Internet.

After the release of a remodeled, slimmer, and lighter version of the PlayStation Portable, titled Slim & Lite, in early September 2007, sales quadrupled in the United Kingdom the following week and increased by nearly 200% in North America for the month of October. The PSP-3000 had a minor redesign including a new screen and inbuilt microphone, and has since been followed by the PSP Go

I love my PSP. I do admit that I mistreated it in its early days and took a backseat in favour of my DS, but the last 2 years has seen a surge in quality PSP titles. A lot of critics have slammed PS2 ports to the PSP but Sony's handheld has developed a loving relationship with the PS3 now

Persona 3 is by far my favourite game on the console. The joys of going mobile with one of my favourite PS2 games is astounding.

God of War on the PSP is amazing game too. PSP Remasters on the PS3 will surely have this game on the list!

Not to mention its online capabilities, it far outstrips other handhelds in the same area. A quality handheld that still has a lot to offer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Two words: Dark Alex. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I won my first and only PSP a little over a year ago and the joys of Final Fantasy on the porcelain throne are not to be underrated.

Also, I spent a ridiculous amount of time playing puzzle quest on it, another quality title. it is however probably the last console I buy physical games for, just because I prefer online shopping on the PSN.

Underrated - yes, but still not quite incredible enough to get the fame it should

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great for puzzle games too. The Patapon series, Locoroco series, Lumines, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's the best console you can buy if you're a fan of JRPGs. Aside from offering the best RPGs of the PSOne era, including Suikoden and Final Fantasy VII to IX, there's an amazing line-up of brillian JRPGs produced solely for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's got some excellent games on it but let down by the hardwares flaws. The battery life isn't great. The battery presistence is also terrible. Don't play the PSP for a while and when you pick it up again it is likely out of battery. Also annoying are the firmware updates. Get a new game. Can't play it yet you need to update the firmware. Oh looks like you can't turn on the PSP since the battery persistence is crap. Hook up the PSP to the mains and then find out you can't update the firmware until the battery is charged to 60%. Hardly pick up and play. Also the controls are a bit crappy. It makes the PSP a much less portable friendly console than the DS.

However it does have some really good games. Initially the games were terrible PS2 ports but lately developers are making games that are built to work as portable games. You've got stuff like Jeanne D'Arc, Lumines, Wipeout, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Persona, Tactics Ogre, Loco Roco, Castlevania Dracula X, Tales of Eternia, God of War, Half Minute Hero, Ys, Legend of Heroes etc. all making the system a must have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I'm still playing the Monster Hunter series on my PSP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's a great little machine. I still got my phat one since release.

Whe it came out it was the biggest technical achievement. I Media centre In your pocket. Playing gta3 liberty city stories on it was like: omfg!!! I play gta On handheld!

It would not be for everyones taste, but I loved those card type mgs games on psp.

Ability to have good old ff7-ff9 on it is just a cherry in top of the cake of awesomeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I've given the PSP a lot of stick over the years, possibly because I had such high hopes for the console.
    The list of games that are brilliant is huge for PSP and even though I played my DS much more the last couple of years have seen the PSP grow to be the console it should have been in 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Solm

I love my PSP go I play FFIV on it most of the time but Monster Hunter also gets a look in. It's still selling incredibly well in Japan even out preforming 3DS. I can't wait for the NGP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

PSPs are so hard to get rid of. At the moment I'm on my third one [sold my first because I won a second, sold my second because I was bored of it], but even though it only gets played once or twice a year it has to be kept for the rare good game that comes out for it. At the moment I only have one game, Echoshift, and I'm basically keeping the PSP for Uncharted Portable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Had one for a few years, never really liked it. Loco Roco and Patapon were great, but I found there were just too many ps2 style ports. Between that and the badly designed controls I always ended up playing the DS instad.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

o1s1n wrote: »
    Had one for a few years, never really liked it. Loco Roco and Patapon were great, but I found there were just too many ps2 style ports. Between that and the badly designed controls I always ended up playing the DS instad.

I think you should give it a go again. Think of it this way: PSP has evolved from a PS2 handheld to a PS3 companion in recent years. :D

Master of the Universe

It seems like the games have improved alright. Doesn't solve the issue of the dodgy controls though! :( they really are horrible to use. Well I found them that way anyway. The thumb stick would cramp my finger and the D pad...well, it's a Sony D pad. Need I say any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

In bed, Nacho bag on chest, playing Vagrant Story (through PSP emulation). Slob paradise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I love it so so sooo much...

So many great games, a great music and video device. Not to mention it's streaming capabilities and support of all PS1 games

Oh, and I use it as my Sat Nav

I love it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Things I like about PSP: ludicrous amount of great SRPGs / JRPGs (from Disgaea to Jeanne D'Arc and onwards!), Ys Seven, Peace Walker, the screen (still awesome).

Things I dislike: the battery life, UMD format, the fact that it's so hard to get all my nice Japanese PS1 games onto it without high levels of annoyance.

Things I hate: the analogue nub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The controls were probably the single reason I never really got into the psp. Still have one lying about (two actually) but haven't bought a game for it in years. I just couldnt get used to the analogue thing and it was just generally awkward to hold, never felt like a proper handheld.

I should probably give it another shot, might pick it up again over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rommy

Yes IMO psp is a must own ive got 3 a 1000 2000 and a psp go looks like ill have to get me a 3000 to finish the set :).The list of games is great as is the list of fantastic home brew. Cant wait for psp 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

I like the tactical games a lot - warhammer squad commander; LotR tactics; FF tactics; Disgaea afternoon of darkness. Patapon was great too. God of war; Wipeout...lots of good games.

I also like to use it as an ebook reader, using an application that converts text into jpgs. A little hassle maybe and not size optimal but actually very nice to read off - and you can read in the dark.

Can watch movies on it. Can browse the internet. Battery life is adequate. Battery longevity is very good.

The analogue stick does suck though yes. Mine frequently gives phantom inputs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Never been a fan of hand held consoles, so im delighted that sony are remastering the best PSP titles for hte PS3....

Sony ftw tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Things I hate: the analogue nub.

It's like trying to play tiddlywinks with a crackpipe gauze.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wait... you can get all PSone games on it now? Is this all that DarkAlex cack or is it proper from Sony?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Despite having an almost unlimited choice of games to play on it, I've yet to find one that held my interest for more than 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

mcgovern wrote: »
    Despite having an almost unlimited choice of games to play on it, I've yet to find one that held my interest for more than 10 minutes.
    Does that say more about you or the console?

Not having a dig, just why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

The PSP has jumped up massively in my estimation in the last year or so, with a constant stream of decent stuff (mostly JRPG/SRPGs mind you). I still prefer the DS overall (which has an ungodly amount of fantastic games), but the PSP is still very much a part of my gaming setup (then again so is the original Game Boy...I have a thing for handhelds)

Master of the Universe

Magill wrote: »
    Never been a fan of hand held consoles,

I take it you don't use public transport that much? A few years ago when I was back in college, I had to commute for 3 hours a day. My DS was the only thing that kept me sane!
    Magill wrote: »
    Sony ftw tbh...

lol. Sony are far passed their 'ftw' days at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

EXIT is one of the best action-puzzle games of all-time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I used to play Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents on the hardest difficulty on the bus. It added a random factor missing from the main game and madeit infuriating when the bus hit a bump :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I think the fact that I'm doing a bit of a clearout of stuff at the moment (Damn expensive college) and kept more games for the PSP than for any other current console (and some older ones) say a lot about how great it is.

While home consoles stagnate under a heap of generic shooters, there are plenty of great puzzle games and RPGs on PSP, it's helped keep my faith in games over the last few years :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

Never had much time for my psp but lately i am playing it non stop with the 3rd brithday and persona and now persona 2 on the way just wonder why its only getting great games now at the end of its life

Advertisement