Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattooed eyeball?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Yes, and?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

This practice isn't particularly new.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

There's a tattoo artist in the UK called Grace Neutral that has her eyeballs tattooed, and it looks great on her, IMO. I wouldn't do it myself, but it suits her. Vaguely remember reading somewhere that the ink fades eventually? Could be wrong though.

il_570xN.701667427_9o0s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

tattooed body parts?? why i never

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

It'll be all about internal tattoos soon. Quick, slap a few stars on that kidney before the transplant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Cygil

From what I understand, it isn't really so much tattooing as injecting the ink in between layers of tissue and letting it spread. I've seen a lad with two toned eye tattoos and it looks kind of muddy because you can't really control where the ink goes. There has also been a case of a chap ending up with a permanent black eye because of it.

I don't think it's something I'd go for but it can look good on some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

these people deserve to go blind. what a breathtakingly stupid thing to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

these people deserve to go blind.

Really? Aren't you the lovely human being.

Do not make any personal attacks in this forum please.
    We do not tolerate that at all!

smcgiff wrote: »
    Really? Aren't you the lovely human being.

I stand by what I said. The eyes are complex, and this is unnecessarily ****ng with them, in a game of internet top trumps for who can do the most ill advised thing to their body.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I stand by what I said. The eyes are complex, and this is unnecessarily ****ng with them, in a game of internet top trumps for who can do the most ill advised thing to their body.

Do you know the dangers you are speaking about or are you guessing?

Applying needles to the eyeball is never going to be particularly safe unless carried out by someone that's highly trained and knows exactly what they're doing.

smcgiff wrote: »
    Do you know the dangers you are speaking about or are you guessing?

I hear tell of a great dragon who rises every evening from the icy wastes of the North, and stalks the land in search of tattooed eyeballs to feed its spawn...

I know the ever present danger of an ink reaction, and how disfiguring and damaging it can be in skin, let alone an eye. And I have seen the MDSD sheets for various tattoo inks. And I am a tattoo artist. I'll let you know if I need any opinions on accountancy.

And since I amn't convinced that YOU know the dangers, have this from BME:
    ** What are the risks in a procedure that goes well?

Even in a best-case-scenario there are risks to eyeball tattooing. Some people are extremely sensitive to the slight pressure that the ink applies, and this can express itself as pain similar to a throbbing headache that never goes away, which can last anywhere from a few days to a few years. In some people this can also make the person feel sensitive to light (although the cause of light sensitivity is not well understood) and want to wear sunglasses when they go into bright spaces. It is impossible to predict pre-procedure who will be affected by this pain.

It is also possible to have ulceration and irritation and erosion at the injection points. This can result in very slow healing and gradual loss of ink. A small percentage of people can feel the ink and/or the injection points, complaining of something being caught in their eye. Others have redness that extends beyond the initial healing period, either because of problems healing or reaction to the ink pigment or the liquid that carries it. Allergic or toxic response to the ink is possible. In addition, some individuals’ eyes have difficult reconnecting the lifted conjunctiva (recurrent scleral erosions), which can result in a disfigured uneven surface as well as a great deal of difficult to treat pain.

Bacterial infection of the eye can also occur during the initial healing.

It should be noted that the sclera is separated from the cornea by the corneal limbus, which stops ink from spreading over the iris and pupil, so while the injected ink does spread, it will not spread in a way that blocks vision.

** What are the risks in a procedure that goes badly?

Only a tiny amount of ink needs to be injected to dye the surface of the eye. Injecting too much ink greatly amplifies all of the risks of eye tattooing — especially that of long-lasting pain — as well as carrying new risks of its own. There is no simple way to drain or otherwise reduce the ink that has been over-injected. Most commonly, over-injection results in a lumpy and uneven surface of the eye that is generally undesirable aesthetically. Some artists have over-injected the eye to the extent where it is so swollen that the cornea and iris are actually inset. Some artists appear “heavy-handed” and make this mistake consistently, especially early in their career, whereas others rarely make the mistake. In addition, an over-injected eye may leak ink into surrounding tissue, causing the area around the eye to be permanently dyed as well — this is especially noticeable when black ink has been over-injected, as it leaves the person with a permanent black eye (the sort that looks like what is created by a fist). The tissue is stained much deeper than the dermis, so there is no easy way to remove this ink, and it either has to be tolerated or covered with makeup.

Most importantly, over-injection can damage the structure of the eye. Detailed medical imaging using an ocular ultrasound of an over-injected eye has shown the sclera breaking down internally and flaking off into the vitreous humour (ie. the inside of the eye). This could result in “floaters”, or could even cause the eye itself to be compromised. In a worst case scenario this could include the loss of the eye.

If ink is injected too shallow, the conjunctiva can be significantly compromised, greatly increasing the chances of both infection and ulceration. If the ink is injected too deep, the sclera itself can be compromised, penetrating or perforating the eye itself, or causing a cyst to form in the wall of the eye. Ink injected too deep or too heavily near the corneal limbus (ie. the border of the iris and the sclera) can also damage the iris sphincter muscles resulting in light sensitivity, or the ciliary muscles resulting in difficulty or inability of focusing. Permanent or semi-permanet blurry vision is possible and has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Boddice ripper as sassy as ever XD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 chickenbone

I'll let you know if I need any opinions on accountancy.

This made me laugh a lot :D

leander0 wrote: »
    She likes it, not your eyes so don't be worrying.

People like all sorts of stupid, dangerous stuff, but you won't see me not pointing it out.

Its almost like I have a vested interest in tattooing or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I adore body mods, I'm extremely open minded, but I agree with bodice ripper. This is the most incredibly stupid thing I've seen to date, so many risks for such unnecessary modification.

The dangers are immense.

Source; I'm an optician.

Does it satisfy are certain need to criticise?

Because you wouldn't criticise, like say you are doing now?

im not offending anyone :)

I find the playing down of very serious risk offensive.

A risk worth taking to some :)

For a tattoo that the artitst essentially has no control over the dispersion of the ink?

For a tattoo that even if it is initially successful can result in very serious complications?

For a tattoo that you may not get to see if you lose your sight?

Fair enough

• Advertisement

but its a risk you won't have to take, nobodies forced to tattoo their eyeballs!

What other risks concern you?

What are you on about? This crap is occuring on the fringe of tattooing, a subject which I have an interest in. I have the kind of friends who get fairly heavy mods. Why the hell wouldn't I say something if a thread pops up in the T&P section? The "I'm alright, Jack" attitude isn't my thing.

Once these things become a glorified interent meme, younger and less-informed people decide its cool. There is a very real risk of losing your sight, and/or years of pain. I feel I am ethically required to point out the risks, particularly if the thread is leaning towards "so what, nothing new".

While they can still see, they will enjoy looking in the mirror!

ah, this is a wind up.

And on that note, I'm off!

I don't need to continue arguing with someone who says something this stupid.

Off to save somebodies eyesight :)

Well yes, as an optician I do that, so thanks for pointing out the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Xander81

I never thought it was possible.

Advertisement