Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warbler central

• 26-05-2010 8:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

Anybody else notice a marked ncrease in the number of warblers this year?

I have 3 or 4 individual calling willow warbers ( I think ) around the garden. I've never heard / seen one before. Beautiful creature.

Also, there's a demented warbler just up the lane who sometimes comes into the garden perimeter. I've been trying to catch sight of it for a few weeks and only saw it for the first time on the weekend. Light brown in colour and typical warbler size (from what I've seen).
    Interestingly, it spends most of its time mimicking blue tits, swallows and stone hatches repeatedly and in quick fashion.
    Could this be a sedge warbler?

I'll try to get a photo over the weekend or next week.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Generally the numbers seem to be about usual around my neck of the woods. In the garden the Chiff Chaff and Willow Warblers are actually a bit light on the ground so far, but early days for us yet. The bog across the road has the usual few Grasshopper Warblers but a marked decline in Sedge Warbler - necessary disturbance to the bog explains that though.

The warblers are often overlooked in gardens but I love to see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

This year around my place I've seen and heard more Willow Warblers then usual but there has been a decrease in Chiffchaffs around my place.

Blackcaps are around in good numbers also this spring and I found a place not to far from me where I've seen and heard Sedge warblers. I also got to hear (couldn't see it though) my first Grasshopper warbler last week.

I saw my first Whitethroats of the year last weekend in Howth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

stevensi wrote: »
    I also got to hear (couldn't see it though) my first Grasshopper warbler last week...

You'll be very lucky to see a Grasshopper Warbler. Nearly impossible. It's difficult to even narrow down what direction they are in, as they turn their heads when singing which has the effect of "throwing" their voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Blackcaps are around in good numbers also this spring and I found a place not to far from me where I've seen and heard Sedge warblers. I also got to hear (couldn't see it though) my first Grasshopper warbler last week.

Huge numbers of Blackcaps in these parts too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Huge numbers of Blackcaps in these parts too!!

Same here, great numbers of warblers here, esp Blackcaps. I think that Cuckoos are having a great year too. I saw four together a week or two ago.

I believe it was a very wet winter in the Sahel.

To see a Grasshopper Warbler, dress up in dark or camouflaged clothing, and put on a broad-brimmed hat or similar to disguise your outline. Get a good pair of binoculars and walk towards the sound, freeze when he stops, and resume moving very slowly and scanning when the 'reeling' sound starts again. Repeat till you see the little bugger. They are not easy to see and prefer to creep away like a mouse rather than fly. However with patience and field craft you can see them if you can walk in the habitat.

I even got a photo of one a couple of weeks back, but the day was very overcast, so its not very sharp.

LostCovey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

LostCovey wrote: »
    Same here, great numbers of warblers here, esp Blackcaps. I think that Cuckoos are having a great year too. I saw four together a week or two ago.

I believe it was a very wet winter in the Sahel.

LostCovey

Cuckoo numbers do seem to be up around the country going on reports from various BWI branches. It was indeed a wet winter in Morrocco, Tunisia and Northern Algeria though I don't know are these areas technically part of the Sahel which I thought bordered the Southern part of the Sahara, which should be getting its rainy season around now.

PS: I wonder will we get another invasion of Painted Lady butterflies given how wet the recent winter was again in Morroco's Atlas mountains??

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Have seen plenty of Blackcaps also ( Great to see them all year round , had a few in the garden for most of the winter ) , also a few chiffchaff's starting to appear these past few weeks , can hear them singing in the treetops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

E39MSport wrote: »
    Anybody else notice a marked ncrease in the number of warblers this year?

I have 3 or 4 individual calling willow warbers ( I think ) around the garden. I've never heard / seen one before. Beautiful creature.

Also, there's a demented warbler just up the lane who sometimes comes into the garden perimeter. I've been trying to catch sight of it for a few weeks and only saw it for the first time on the weekend. Light brown in colour and typical warbler size (from what I've seen).
    Interestingly, it spends most of its time mimicking blue tits, swallows and stone hatches repeatedly and in quick fashion.
    Could this be a sedge warbler?

I'll try to get a photo over the weekend or next week.
    Sedge warbler distinct has broad buff white stripe over eye (supercilium). This stripe is not as noticable (more narrow) on willow warbler or chiffchaff. Also there are black markings on back on sedge, never on chiffchaff or W Warbler. Sedge warbler also inhabits marshy area.
    In bad light you could mistake the green of willow warbler/chiffchaff for the brown of a sedge warbler.
    Other similar common warbler is grasshopper warbler which has no supercillium. You will never see a grasshopper warbler unless he's calling and sounds like a fishing reel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I also got to hear (couldn't see it though) my first Grasshopper warbler last week.

Stick at it, they are not easy, but patience wins!

th_GrasshopperWarblerLeenane15May2010.jpg

Advertisement