Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever had anything swiped by a magpie or crow?

Options
  • 07-01-2009 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever have any funny experiences with wildlife?

I thought I would expand on this thread to include humorous experiences with wildlife.

I had one funny experience when a crow swiped my lunch. :eek:

A few years ago working on a site I left a breakfast on the roof of my van while I changing, I only turned by back for a few seconds to find a crow taking off with them to a rooftop across the road that was me starved for the day. :mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I saw someone buy their food in a restaurant/bar and bring outside then go back inside for about a minute, a swarm of crows devoured the food and when they came back out the look on their face was priceless. Even better they tried to pretend it wasn't theirs, haha. I had a stoat try to climb up my leg once that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Valmont wrote: »
    I saw someone buy their food in a restaurant/bar and bring outside then go back inside for about a minute, a swarm of crows devoured the food and when they came back out the look on their face was priceless. Even better they tried to pretend it wasn't theirs, haha. I had a stoat try to climb up my leg once that's about it.
    I have seen a crow take off with a full slice of bread in its beak, another time a seagull with its beak stuck in an apple. :D

Unfortunitally all this was before camphones.

There is that classic of a seagull swiping the packs of Doritos from a shop in Aberdeen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqy9hxhUxK0&feature=related

Heres another funny one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uXZ3_A2nGs&feature=related

This is funny, they even got them the right way around.

2hdbpkw.jpg

2n14y20.jpgi

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I was in Muckross park in Killarney a while back and my son was walking around with a small muesli bar in his hand. A big crow landed in front of him and proceeded to back away in hops, all the while facing the young fella.
    Of course he did what any kid would have done and chased the bird, and fell over. as he fell the bar came out of his hand and the crow stepped forward and picked it up and flew off.
    My son was shouting come back, drop it! at the bird.

I do think that this was actually learned behaviour and not opportunistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

not crows or magpies but sea gulls...

I had several freshly caught mackerel in a rock pool one day last year and was happily fishing about 20 yards away when a group of the b@stards took most of them :D
    I keep anything Ive caught closer to hand these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's just learned behaviour. People in Muckross are always having Picnics, chucking scraps to the birds. Gulls at the sea-side associate people with food (Ice Cream cones are a regular target). Crows at building sites get fed at lunch time with crusts from sandwiches. They just learn and associate people with food. Leave food on the roof of a van! What do you expect?:D
    Fish in a shallow pool! What else would you expect. Birds are not stupid.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Last summer I saw a seagull (herring gull to be more specific) with a full bag of chips in his mouth in mid air. They were in a brown bag and there was a tear in the bag and a few were falling out. It was hillarious. Other seagulls were chasing him too. It always amazes me how much food them herring gulls can gulp down.

Also about 10 year ago I was playing a football match for the local team and mid way through the first half a seagull splattered the arm of my jersey. Its supposed to be good luck so ive heard. Anyway, about 3 minuites later I score the goal of my life chipping the keeper from about 25 yards out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I was attacked by two Mew gulls last year; I think I was near their eggs. It was scary enough, those things are big up close.

I remember a story last year on sky news about a crow walking into a shop and stealing packets of Doritos. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Years ago before the euro came in my mother had taken my niece who was then a baby for a walk in her pushchair. A magpie flew overhead and dropped an old £1 coin (punt) straight into nieces pushchair. My mother went into the shop with the £1 and bought a scratchcard and won £10....:D

Valmont wrote: »
    I was attacked by two Mew gulls last year; I think I was near their eggs. It was scary enough, those things are big up close.

I remember a story last year on sky news about a crow walking into a shop and stealing packets of Doritos. :D

I use to work for the Commissioners of Irish Lights, on Rocabill lighthouse you couldn't get near the Terns during nesting season. I had a few close ones.

Out in Australia the magpies would attack you from behind, give you a nasty gash on the head if you weren't careful. (Magpies out there are different to our own) Kids in schools would sometimes wear a face mask for the back of their heads to avoud being attacked. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

I was at my dads the other day and a cat who had kittens for some reason decided to move them and left two of them out in the open.
    Two magpies who nest close by Quick as a flash swooped two kittens
    gone.Only a few days old so couldnt even defend themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I arrived home one evening to find a very neatly arranged ring/triangle of bright white stones on the bonnet of a recently polished bonnet.

The car in question was located at the rear of the house and I'm pretty sure nobody was on the property.

Bizarre.

Also: Very funny. My OH got "attacked" by a few swans up North while trying to be nice to them and feed them..

Advertisement