Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I need? router and hard drive

Options
  • 17-05-2015 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

My setup is as follows:

Horizon TV 240Mb/s
    Samsung JU7000 4K TV
    Xbox One
    Apple TV
    Macbook Retina
    Many other wireless devices, phones, ipads scales etc

I want to get the most out of my broadband speeds but kind of more importanly I want to be able to download films to an external hard drive that I will be able to stream via my television 1080p and 4k films.

I've been looking at the Netgear Nighthawk which has USB3.0 support and seems to have a pretty capable wireless network.

From my perspective I would like to download films/music via my Macbook and save them directly to an external hard drive which I would connect to the router. Then later on I would be able to watch them on my television without having to move cables or connect/disconnect anything.

What do I need to get folks, please suggest a router and a hard drive that would suit my needs. Looking at less than 500 euros for this setup. If I should be thinking of something else then please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

File transfers from the portable drive, through the routers, to the a local wired client showed the Nighthawk had a distinct speed advantage. Where the ASUS routinely capped out at around 75 Mb/s transfer rates for both reading and writing files, the Nighthawk routinely provided a 350-400 Mb/s read rate and a 200-250 Mb/s write rate. If lack luster router-attached-HDD performance has burned you in the past, you don’t have to worry about it with the Nighthawk. It might not be a full home server, but it certainly can transfer data at the same speed as one.

Seems the USB IO is great, itll do what you want.

If you're planning on 4K a single disk is going to fill fast, Id go with a multi bay NAS unit instead, but that'd stretch your budget. Your call there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭digiman

What would you recommend? I'd rather get it right from the start or go via an easily upgradeable path.

This. Thats without drives though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

ED E wrote: »
    This. Thats without drives though.

For similar money you'd get a HP microserver that you could do a lot more with

For me I built my own, but the DS units are very user friendly for somebody who wants something plug and play. I'd recommend the microserver if the OP is interested in tweaking/playing with it, but the DS if he'd rather hands off.

OP if you're interested, look into Plex Media Server, might be something that tickles your fancy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement