Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of network setup

Options
  • 19-05-2015 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

hi there,

I have cables run and everything I need for a network at home, everything except the knowledge to put it all together.

there are
    15 cat6 cables which will need to be terminated
    12 keystones required
    10 patch cables

any idea as to how much this should cost. I have all the keystones \ connectors required so just interested to see how much it should cost to hook everything up.

I know I could do it myself but I just don't have the patience \ skill \ ability to do it without it dragging on for weeks.

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you don't have a switch you'll need to add that to the budget. Call local electricians and ask for quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭adr_sullivan

ED E wrote: »
    If you don't have a switch you'll need to add that to the budget. Call local electricians and ask for quotes.

I have a switch as well.

just trying to get a ballpark figure before I start to make a few calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have a switch as well.

just trying to get a ballpark figure before I start to make a few calls.

Honest answer, it is at most 2 hours work. Assuming its just a final fix.

Honest answer, it is at most 2 hours work. Assuming its just a final fix.

Got one quote of 200 euro, sounds a bit high to me, as I am supplying all the parts. Or am I wrong.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

No idea about the cost behind it. Just the workload involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Got one quote of 200 euro, sounds a bit high to me, as I am supplying all the parts. Or am I wrong.....

Not if they are testing everything and guaranteeing their work. You're not paying them to dig a hole, you are paying for their knowledge and expertise

Not if they are testing everything and guaranteeing their work. You're not paying them to dig a hole, you are paying for their knowledge and expertise

Very true and trying to balance that as well.

If it takes 3 Hours to do the work that works out @70 euro per hour. Just seems very high to me. If I am wrong and that is what the rate is then that is something that I will pay.

As I said just trying to figure out what would it cost....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Very true and trying to balance that as well.

If it takes 3 Hours to do the work that works out @70 euro per hour. Just seems very high to me. If I am wrong and that is what the rate is then that is something that I will pay.

As I said just trying to figure out what would it cost....

Time does not come into it, you are paying for a finished setup however long it takes and for the support that must be given by guaranteeing the work. Sounds about right to me

Time does not come into it, you are paying for a finished setup however long it takes and for the support that must be given by guaranteeing the work. Sounds about right to me

OK thanks, just wanted to make sure I want being hideously overcharged.

Advertisement