Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Office Network

Options
  • 16-05-2015 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

We have a small office with a team of 6 staff. We have no internal network at the moment and all work off individual PC's with no shared data etc. we have wireless broadband.

We are refurbishing the office and I am looking at implementing a small Network so we can all have access to shared Data/storage. Email is through our hosting company and cloud based.

Can anyone recommend the best way we can set this up. Is there a cloud based server system we can setup so we do not have to invest in hardware, cabling etc.

We also have a large photocopier that has network capability that we need to have accces to.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

https://www.google.com/work/apps/business/products/drive/

or

https://www.dropbox.com/business

Also, install a wireless adapter on all the PC's and printer. Create a workgroup so you can share local data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Don't use wireless, there is a reason network cable is still used.

If you plan to grow your business install at least 4 network points at each desk and anywhere else you can.

Installing cable from the start is far cheaper than having to try and do it later.

If you plan to grow your business install at least 4 network points at each desk and anywhere else you can.

Installing cable from the start is far cheaper than having to try and do it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its 6 people in a office who are currently using wireless, can you justify why they need to install cabling to each desk?

Its 6 people in a office who are currently using wireless, can you justify why they need to install cabling to each desk?

Adding value to the office infrastructure.

Wireless is unreliable.

Wireless is not as secure as cable.

Wireless is slow.

I have seen offices that thought wireless was good enough, I then get called and have to tell them they have done it wrong and need to rewire the place.

If the op intends to grow their business then wireless is not the answer. It's not the answer for a one man band.

It's often the cheap answer but never the correct one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Rgb.ie

Wireless is unreliable.

Wireless is slow.

I have seen offices that thought wireless was good enough, I then get called and have to tell them they have done it wrong and need to rewire the place.

If the op intends to grow their business then wireless is not the answer. It's not the answer for a one man band.

Spot on - have witnessed 6 laptops on a 100mb upc install on 54g router before and not understanding why they weren't getting full speed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

dwsl280 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is there a cloud based server system we can setup so we do not have to invest in hardware, cabling etc.

We also have a large photocopier that has network capability that we need to have accces to.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

As others have said, invest in a cabled network, there is really not a discussion to be had about this. There are a few places that do cloud based servers. Where I work we sell a cloud server service to customers to work from. This hosts all their shared files and is accessible from any internet connected computer or device (iPad etc), anywhere. You login to a familiar windows desktop, and work from there.

The alternative is an on-site Physical server. both have their pros and cons. But the cloud based servers are becoming more and more our core business, as business seem to prefer opting out out of the costs associated with purchasing and maintaining on-site servers.

Ideally you would sit down with an IT company and thrash out how your company operates currently and what you want to achieve. Only then can proper advice be given as to how you should proceed, and proper options to fit your company presented.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Wireless is unreliable.

Wireless is slow.

In a leased office, cabling adds no real value to the lessor.

Wireless is not unreliable, cheap wireless setups are. Cheap setups in general are. Dual AP's are more reliable then a switch, as they provide failover.

WPA-2 is secure with a decent length password, not as secure as cable but offers far more versatility. This is a 6 person company here, not the CIA. You don't plan for the absolute worst, you simply consider it as a risk and take it on board.

I have conversely seen offices that have been cabled wrong, running them well over 100 meters, creating patching cabinet nightmares(routers hanging from the cables), buying brand new 100Mbps cheap switches from China which drop packets randomly. Implying a bad setup is specific to wireless is a fruitless argument.

If you can move past the "cheap" option, most small businesses could benefit from decent wireless implementations. In a enviroment like the OP's, is perfect for a mid range Router/AP combo.

The cost differences between wiring a office with 4 Ethernet points per desk, buying a switch and assuming all laptops bought will have a Ethernet port is a bit silly versus buying a decent 4*4 Mimo Ac router is something you have not addressed.
    Rgb.ie wrote: »
    Spot on - have witnessed 6 laptops on a 100mb upc install on 54g router before and not understanding why they weren't getting full speed

So they should install network cabling and not simply buy a better wireless setup(with the new knowledge that it is only a 2-3 year investment)?
    As others have said, invest in a cabled network, there is really not a discussion to be had about this. There are a few places that do cloud based servers. Where I work we sell a cloud server service to customers to work from. This hosts all their shared files and is accessible from any internet connected computer or device (iPad etc), anywhere. You login to a familiar windows desktop, and work from there.

The alternative is an on-site Physical server. both have their pros and cons. But the cloud based servers are becoming more and more our core business, as business seem to prefer opting out out of the costs associated with purchasing and maintaining on-site servers.

Ideally you would sit down with an IT company and thrash out how your company operates currently and what you want to achieve. Only then can proper advice be given as to how you should proceed, and proper options to fit your company presented.

Nate

I think we have reached a point where wireless should be taken seriously. I say that as a full time net OP's in a multinational whose plans are to scrap all cabling outside of call center locations.

Dual band N and above have removed most of the con's from the argument in office situations.

On the cloud subject, I think the OP's was asking if there was any way to minimize the infrastructure on the site(as in get rid of the networking in general) and have shared storage. Although, if you could recommend a cost effective VDI solution for 6 people, it would be a good idea to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm with cuddlesworth here, old a/b/g and maybe somewhat n stuff wasnt really that viable, but modem APs totally are in some circumstances. Plenty of offices still run fast eth on the access layer, a 1700Mbps(theoretical) AP can easily supply the same throughput to a fleet of half a dozen ultrabooks.

For the OP a Syology Diskstation and a high end Router/AP is all you need most likely, or a cloud storage solution depending on how fast your internet connection is. Minimal setup, excellent performance, no maintenance. If the office gets bigger you could expand, but you wont have any kind of issue before breaching 10 people which would represent significant growth and give you time to change your infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭The_Rev

Synology for your storage requirements https://www.synology.com/en-global/
    cheapest distributor for these i've used: http://www.easy-tecs.de/Netzwerkspeicher-NAS/SYNOLOGY/

Recommend maybe a deployment of 1 or more of these:
    https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/
    with distributor here that ive used: http://www.irishwireless.net/ubiquiti

For anything that's fixed into place, eg: your photocopier... I'd recommend wiring it directly back to a main gigabit switch (with POE for the wireless APs above)

so:

- gigabit switch which will connect all your Accesspoints, photocopier, voip adapter, ADSL router etc.
    - 1,2 or 3 of your Ubiquiti N or AC access points for your laptops to connect to the network
    - Synology disk/rackstation for all your local storage requirements (everyone can have their own network drive or all use a common shared network drive on the LAN so nothing is stored locally on a pc/laptop)

• Advertisement
Advertisement