Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ceiling cracking

• 18-02-2014 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm living in a bungalow and in the sitting room the ceiling is cracked along a joist. Two sheets of plasterboard are joined on the joist and well fixed but no matter how many times I rake it out and refill it, the crack appears again after a few weeks. Should I screw extra timbers to both sides of the joist and then screw the slabs from below to these extra timbers? All answers welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

geoweb2k14 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm living in a bungalow and in the sitting room the ceiling is cracked along a joist. Two sheets of plasterboard are joined on the joist and well fixed but no matter how many times I rake it out and refill it, the crack appears again after a few weeks. Should I screw extra timbers to both sides of the joist and then screw the slabs from below to these extra timbers? All answers welcome.

Have you scrim
    along the joint

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭geoweb2k14

Have you scrim
    along the joint

There is scrim tape along it bit I've noticed an old crack in the ceiling in the kitchen which is back to back. The crack looks like its running straight througj. Could this be subsidence??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,316 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have you checked if the purlin is propped on to the joist by any chance?

muffler wrote: »
    Have you checked if the purlin is propped on to the joist by any chance?

I haven't checked but I'm assuming that its not ment to be but rather propped up on an internal wall. Am I right in saying this? I will check when I get home from work and keep you posted. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi geoweb
    What span is the joist running. What size is the ceiling joist. What centres are the joists at. Is there adequate bridging between joists. What is the insulation in attic like around the joist. Can you put photo of joists in attic from around immediate area.
    Timber will deflect slightly with heat and cold. Is the joist sized properly for the span in room. The joists need to be bridged properly.If the insulation is not in right you will have a cold spot. The timber could be getting cold in attic and warm in room if so you will have movement in timber. Also the joist centres could be too big.
    NW

• Advertisement

North West wrote: »
    Hi geoweb
    What span is the joist running. What size is the ceiling joist. What centres are the joists at. Is there adequate bridging between joists. What is the insulation in attic like around the joist. Can you put photo of joists in attic from around immediate area.
    Timber will deflect slightly with heat and cold. Is the joist sized properly for the span in room. The joists need to be bridged properly.If the insulation is not in right you will have a cold spot. The timber could be getting cold in attic and warm in room if so you will have movement in timber. Also the joist centres could be too big.
    NW

Will post pics and measurements later. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

I take it that it's a old bungalow?older houses tend to sag and cause cracks

vinnie13 wrote: »
    I take it that it's a old bungalow?older houses tend to sag and cause cracks

Is 12 yrs built classed as old??

Advertisement