Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterproof Roof Board? Does it exist?

• 13-05-2008 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello

New member hope you can help

Just had a shed built in back garden. The guys left the roof board which looked like a chipboard compound uncovered and it was rained on for a week or so . They then put adhesive tiles on.

One month after completion the sheds leaking. I reckon its because the board was saturated and soaked in lots of water. Guy claims it is a waterproof board made for such jobs.

Are these 'chipboard' compounds not just held together with water based glues when they are compressed, or do such waterproof board/materials exist.

Sorry for vagueness but guy wont give me name of materials so I can look up the spec.

Most forums I have read say you should use a waterproof/marine ply.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

sounds like chip board/sheets of ply was used
    When it gets wet it 'Explodes'
    marine ply costs about €120 a sheet (8x4)
    put up a photo of the roof board and you'll get a better answer
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 olivercardy

Cheers Gall

This is the board after rain

J&M CIMG0353.jpg

J&M CIMG0355.jpg

Olivercardy

What he has put up is steirling board total unsuitable and the cheapest out there
    The fact that it is wet it will keep on expanding until each individual flake of timber comes away
    just read your post again
    "water proof board made for such a job" me arse
    was he wearing a stetson and boots
    get him back and get him to fix that mess
    i dont think the shed is leaking because of the stirling board I'd say it's leaking because the tiles were put up wrong. The tiles will not stick to the roof if the roof is wet/damp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 olivercardy

Cheers Gall,

Will do just that. Thanks for identifying the offending objects.

When he said he liked Spurs should guessed he didn't mean Tottenham.

Cheers

Cheers Gall,

Will do just that. Thanks for identifying the offending objects.

When he said he liked Spurs should guessed he didn't mean Tottenham.

Cheers
    good one
    where are you based if your looking for it to be fixed
    I may be able to sort it for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 brundlefly

that board is an o.s.b board made by louisiana pacific in waterford ....while the glue used to make it can help with it being waterproof it still needs a covering from our godawful irish rain...and the seams will always leak when exposed to the weather.
    that would have to be replaced (about 12 quid per 8x4 ,11mm sheet )or you will have nothing but trouble with it .
    a roll or two of mineral felt (20-25 quid for a 30m roll)would protect it for years ...depending on how exposed to wind/driving rain it is .(because of the expansion and retraction of the timbers torch on felt would turn out to be a nightmare to keep stuck to it without it constantly cracking .
    to give some added protection you could put some wonderlay felt (30-40 quid per roll)under that ...this is the stuff that is in the roof of your house under the tiles ...very strong stuff and will allow the wood to breath properly ...use proper felt nails on it too as i have never came accross any product that will stick it down (bitchumen mastic or equivalent) also dont put poythene over it or the timbers will sweat and rot .
    if you want a more cosmetic finish on it have a look for the tile profile sheets ...similar to the old corrugatd sheets but it actually looks like a proper tiled roof and is exceptionally easy to install and can be bought to lenght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

the GALL wrote: »
    What he has put up is steirling board total unsuitable

i have to disagree. o.s.b or sterling board or whatever you want to call it is not totally unsuitable. its unsuitable once it gets wet. but if it dry then it is brilliant. very strong and not too pricey.it should have been covered once it was fitted and left covered until they were ready to put the permanent waterproof covering on it. get the guy who did the job back straight away. this is his mess let him fix it. do not let him cover it now make sure he replaces the sheating. if he says its not his fault tell him your calling out building control. take lots of photos and keep them in a safe place.also 18mm sheets are alot sturdier try and get him to use them.marine ply is an unesscessary expense because once its covered it wont need to be waterproof as the covering will be. structural ply, osb or wbp will do grand as long as it dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

Building control ???????????? if he did this he wont be worryed hes likely drank the cash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

ya but ive heard they can bring in an enforcement order on these people setting out exactly how the job must be done to meet standards and then make them do it. even if he has drank it thats his problem the money will have to come out of his pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sonofned

I have the same problem with leaking roof. I bought a new shed in 1996. It was covered with the green mineral felt. I did think that covering was a lifetime job but this winter it has started to leak quite badly. I am at wits end as I bought a new roll of felt a few years ago. I was going to do a woodwork repair job that wasn't really urgent and in fact is still holding. I bought the felt just in case it was required.

If the chipboard, whatever kind it is, is let dry out, would it be OK to recover once conditions are satisfactory. Or is it necessary to remove and replace board.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

This is an old one but for anyone looking
    1 you need OSB3 its made for this
    2 if torch on is done right it doesn't matter what you have under as its ment to be water tight
    3 building control your wasting you time there is no law in Ireland or no one that can make this guy come back, its a civil matter between you and him
    4 for such a small job if you cant get him back fix it yourself and learn a lesson

Advertisement