Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anonymous posting from abroad.

Options
  • 01-03-2015 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭

Hello!

I'd like to politely question why anonymous posting is not allowed from abroad. I'm a long time poster on Boards and have no problem posting under my name about most stuff, but sometimes, for more private matters, I'd like to post anonymously but not abuse the system in any way.

I understand the reason given is to prevent spamming but for the sake of us posting internationally, I was wondering if there could be a way to get around this. Surely spamming is possible anyway just by opening an account? Not being a technology expert in the slightest, perhaps this idea seems stupid, but it would really benefit us (I'm guessing I'm not the only one) as I'd say Irish posters living internationally make up a fair percentage of regular Boards posters at the moment.

I have no interest in breaking the rules and starting another account and want to post within the charter, so if something could be done about this, it'd be really appreciated! If not, no worries - just thought I'd ask!

Thanks for your time!:)

TBL
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Many forums will help posters like you. Just pm the mods there and they'll be happy to help with some suggestions, no need for you to go into detail on what you want to post about. The mods are always willing to help posters especially where they've a proven track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Taltos wrote: »
    Many forums will help posters like you. Just pm the mods there and they'll be happy to help with some suggestions, no need for you to go into detail on what you want to post about. The mods are always willing to help posters especially where they've a proven track record.

^This.

Good luck with your affair.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

In rare circumstances a second account may be sanctioned if you can provide a compelling reason for privacy, and as long as you are not posting in the same forums/threads as your original account.

Contact the relevant mods before going down this road, however, or you could find both accounts nuked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Thanks, everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Dades wrote: »
    In rare circumstances a second account may be sanctioned if you can provide a compelling reason for privacy, and as long as you are not posting in the same forums/threads as your original account.

Contact the relevant mods before going down this road, however, or you could find both accounts nuked.
    I thought duplicate accounts were tolerated once it's not to circumvent a ban?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

No. Not at all.

1 person - 1 account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Dav wrote: »
    No. Not at all.

1 person - 1 account.

So which is it?
    The fair and reasonable allowance that Dades gives above, or this one I quoted?

What do you mean?

Dades explicitly states that in rare circumstances you can deviate from our "1 person - 1 account" rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Just use an Irish proxy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

What do you mean?

Dades explicitly states that in rare circumstances you can deviate from our "1 person - 1 account" rule.

Completely misread your original post. Apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd also welcome a change in this rule. Unregistered posting is limited to Ireland and the UK, but surely it could be expanded to include countries with huge numbers of Irish emigrants, like Canada, Australia and the USA?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

And Spain. Don't forget Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Earthhorse wrote: »
    And Spain. Don't forget Spain.

I was going to type that but that goes without saying.

I live in Spain, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,854 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Faith wrote: »
    I'd also welcome a change in this rule. Unregistered posting is limited to Ireland and the UK, but surely it could be expanded to include countries with huge numbers of Irish emigrants, like Canada, Australia and the USA?
    Seconded.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Is this thread saying that in the forums where unregistered posting is allowed (PI, etc) that it's only restricted to the UK and Ireland? It seems a pretty odd restriction to me. Why would something like that even be in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

5starpool wrote: »
    Is this thread saying that in the forums where unregistered posting is allowed (PI, etc) that it's only restricted to the UK and Ireland? It seems a pretty odd restriction to me. Why would something like that even be in place?

The queue of posts needing approval used to be full of spam. That has completely stopped since the restriction has been in place (completely for the Gifts forum anyway, I can't speak for other forums)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Dades wrote: »

I thought multiple accounts were ok as long as they weren't used to get around bans.

When did that change?

It's always been that way. Multiple accounts have never been ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It's always been that way. Multiple accounts have never been ok.

Changed in 2010 unless I'm mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I know we were getting huge amounts of spam until this ban was bought in

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Quazzie wrote: »
    I thought multiple accounts were ok as long as they weren't used to get around bans.

When did that change?
    I knew I couldn't be the only one that thought that!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

/ checks Quazzie and IvyTheTerrible for duplicate accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Quazzie wrote: »

When did that change?

As it says in that post quoted, from that point on they would be allowed in exceptional circumstances, but need admin / community manager approval. Prior to that they weren't allowed at all!

Advertisement