Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed changes to site look

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I actually prefer v1, but it would need a grey box for highlighting quoted posts in the thread view. v2 is too white, and completely changes the current style (which is bad imo).

Other notes...
    • I really don't like having the side info in threads. Fair enough having it in the main forum view, but it's needless having it in each thread. Limits the viewing area for the info that i'm actually looking for, while giving me links to other topics and forums that, often times, i won't be interested in.
    • As others have said, we need a time/date on posts (which is already being added)
    • Last unread post is absolutely essential as far as i'm concerned. Will be really annoyed if that's not included.
    • I also like seeing a users details (join date, posts, location etc...) under their username, but maybe that's just me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Kiith wrote: »
    I actually prefer v1, but it would need a grey box for highlighting quoted posts in the thread view. v2 is too white, and completely changes the current style (which is bad imo).

Other notes...
    • I really don't like having the side info in threads. Fair enough having it in the main forum view, but it's needless having it in each thread. Limits the viewing area for the info that i'm actually looking for, while giving me links to other topics and forums that, often times, i won't be interested in.
    • As others have said, we need a time/date on posts (which is already being added)
    • Last unread post is absolutely essential as far as i'm concerned. Will be really annoyed if that's not included.
    • I also like seeing a users details (join date, posts, location etc...) under their username, but maybe that's just me.

Just reminds me, the charter posts etc stickied on the right hand side is the same as reddit (and probably other sites).

I think there should be an imaginary thumbs down button. You won't see how many thumbsdowns you get but you should then be able to sort by popular/controversial/poor comments.

And get rid of post count altogether. It only leads to people judging others based on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Gits_bone wrote: »
    And get rid of post count altogether. It only leads to people judging others based on it.

You've 2,000 posts since last November!? :P

nesf wrote: »
    You've 2,000 posts since last November!? :P

Yes? :)

Yes? :)

SMAK would be proud.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    SMAK would be proud.

Who?

Anywho my post count has nothing to do with the point I made. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Post counts and join dates can help with moderation. Helps distinguish if someone is new, or if they've been around a while but have not posted much, and in either case they may be somewhat unfamiliar with how the site works in general. On the other hand, if someone has been around a while and has a good number of posts under their belt then you can assume that they have a good understanding of how the site works, and as such should have a better working knowledge of what is acceptable and what is not.

Who?

Anywho my post count has nothing to do with the point I made. :)

Teasing, there was a poster many years ago who decided to have the highest post count and accumulated rather a lot of posts quickly. :)
    Star Lord wrote: »
    Post counts and join dates can help with moderation. Helps distinguish if someone is new, or if they've been around a while but have not posted much, and in either case they may be somewhat unfamiliar with how the site works in general. On the other hand, if someone has been around a while and has a good number of posts under their belt then you can assume that they have a good understanding of how the site works, and as such should have a better working knowledge of what is acceptable and what is not.

They can also help users, if someone has a very low post count and a recent join date you should know there's a higher chance that they're trolling if they post something controversial so you can avoid getting involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

SMAK sent me a megadeth cd once

Star Lord wrote: »

How do other sites run smoothly without a post count?

What it seems to be is if a poster with few posts makes a joke and a poster with 1000's of posts make the same joke..one can get penalised over the other?

Posts should me moderated according to the charter, not to the poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

What it seems to be is if a poster with few posts makes a joke and a poster with 1000's of posts make the same joke..one can get penalised over the other?

Posts should me moderated according to the charter, not to the poster.

Depends on the forum and the topic really, and what's said. Moderating to the letter of the charter without making allowances or adjustments depending on the poster and the nature of the thread and/or comment being moderated is a black/white type scenario. Real life moderation needs flexibility in order to adapt and adjust.

If a new poster comes into a contentious topic and posts a joke that is sure to rile people up, then you have to assume that they're either unfamiliar with the site and how it works, or they are a re-reg troll, and investigate further to try to establish which and to handle them accordingly. If a long term poster does similarly, then they should no better, and should know it could be viewed as trolling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think Niamh said in the OP that user info including post count, join date etc, would be available by hovering over someone's avatar?

A mild pain for mods but perfectly acceptable for most users, I'd think.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Some thoughts:

Version 1 homepage is better, version 2 thread is better.

But, I have misgivings about the homepage. We went through this the last time the homepage was redesigned. Not having the forum in which a thread is posted in a prominent position is a major pain in the hole if, like me, you like to skim read the homepage. I scan the forum column, if one peaks my interest I'll read the thread title. I fear I'm fighting a losing battle on this however, as ye seem determined to get rid of it. So might I suggest a compromise where the date and forum are switched? So instead of "Date | Forum" it's made "Forum | Date"?

Is the Notification number which takes you to the CP gone?

Please don't pin the OP. In long running threads, the OP is largely irrelevant. At the very least, make it like an announcement where the user can close it off.

The links to the right are a great idea.

I don't like not being able to see a poster's postcount and join date. I use these when modding as a guide to whether or not I should take a closer look at a user. For instance, if someone posts a thread in Podcasts pimping their stuff, I can tell at a glance currently whether it's a spammer or a long standing Boardsie.

How will Thanks be displayed? Is it going to be like Talk To's where it's hidden away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Without a doubt. Keep it clean. Sleek, and simple.
    The current website is very ugly, and really does need a fix.

Maybe open a poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lumia635

I don't care what the site looks like, what I want you to fix is the rich text box you type your message into.

It does random cursor lefts as you type. Really, really annoying.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Zaph wrote: »
    Boards is built on vBulletin, which is old and creaky, and the plan is to move away from it to a custom built platform. This is part of that plan.

I know the old (really old) version will be killed off at some point, but when will that be? I use the old view (the vbulletin 3.8x style) which I know isn't supported any more but I don't care about that as long as it's available.

If this is disappearing as part of this upgrade it'd be nice to know to steel myself for the change. I'm not a big fan of the redesigns at this point but if/when I have to get used to it I'm sure I would.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

5starpool wrote: »
    I know the old (really old) version will be killed off at some point, but when will that be? I use the old view (the vbulletin 3.8x style) which I know isn't supported any more but I don't care about that as long as it's available.

If this is disappearing as part of this upgrade it'd be nice to know to steel myself for the change. I'm not a big fan of the redesigns at this point but if/when I have to get used to it I'm sure I would.

No idea when the guys in the office are finally going to get rid of vBulletin, I suppose it depends on what else, if anything, needs to be done after these changes are decided upon and implemented. But I'm the same, I'll be sorry to see it go, I still use the default white vBulletin skin, and will continue to do so until it is no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Boards is built on vBulletin, which is old and creaky, and the plan is to move away from it to a custom built platform. This is part of that plan.

Thanks Zaph I was just being nosey so good luck with whatever is decided.

I still use the default white vBulletin skin, and will continue to do so until it is no more.

Does this not affect your modding/adminny abilities?

"Oh Zaff's the only admin around. FREE GAFF"

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Does this not affect your modding/adminny abilities?

"Oh Zaff's the only admin around. FREE GAFF"

No, it still has all the functionality of the newer skins so I can do all that I need to on it. If you want to volunteer for a live demonstration just let me know whether you'd prefer an infraction or a ban. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

And Baldy Conscience was never heard from again...

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    And Baldy Conscience was never heard from again...

re-reg tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I really don't like the sticky OP at the top, nor do I like the new thread style. I think it's much better to have all the user info in the left pane as it currently is.

I really don't like the sticky OP at the top, nor do I like the new thread style. I think it's much better to have all the user info in the left pane as it currently is.

To me, the new thread style screams of "WE WANT TO BE LIKE REDDIT!".

I don't understand what's wrong with the vBulletin look of threads that it's even on the agenda to spend time designing a new look. (And yes, I know Boards is moving away from vBulletin, as I've said before, that doesn't mean the look has got to change).

EDIT: And that's not to say there aren't things about the vBulletin look of threads that I despise. The pagination for example is ugly as hell. The QR box could do with sprucing up, as could the edit box. The thread tools at the top are god awful, the way edits are displayed could be tidied. IMO tweaking those features while leaving the general, functional, vBulletin aesthetic would be immensely better.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Both bad, the 2nd one being very bad.

I use the "dark" setting, as the other version is bad on my eyes, as it's too much glare.

Having to read each title to see what forum it's under will be annoying. Currently I can have a quick scan down the left side.

There's no "goto latest post" option.

I currently pay subscription to avoid seeing ad's, so they probably won't annoy me, but the layout is horrific.

TL;DR - please leave current "dark" theme available.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    To me, the new thread style screams of "WE WANT TO BE LIKE REDDIT!".

When you take into account the new AMA forum... it really does seem that way!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Turtwig wrote: »
    Only question I have is why have the click 'more posts' option? On other sites that option is a nuisance just have just load automatically as the user scrolls down - and preferably don't have them see any loading unless they're scrolling incredibly fast.

A 'More posts' button actually is useful even with automatic loading. If some thing goes wrong with the automatic loading for some reason (crap internet, servers acting up or whatever) then you can force it to load it with the more posts button. Otherwise you'd have to refresh and keep scrolling until you get to where you were.

When you take into account the new AMA forum... it really does seem that way!

Well to be fair, the AMA forum is a great idea, and fits in with what Boards is all about (discussion).

This new design on the other hand just comes across (to me anyway) as if the designers don't give a crap about Boards having a unique identity, and they just seem to be designing to the current trend of overly padded, rounded, stripped down blandness that's plaguing the internet right now. Trying to be half-Facebook half-Reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Cant say I love the new ways too much. The OP at the top is an interesting idea in theory, neutral to that at the moment until see it working. The 'Newest Posts' idea is a horrible one, the way threads flow at the moment is perfect. Also the bar at the bottom with 'More posts' that you have to click on to see the next few posts is something hugely, hugely annoying on other sites and would be a big no-no for me. I actually dont see too much wrong with the structure of threads and posts as they are, its always good to have a clean up and upgrade aesthetically, but some of the changes there will definitely turn off some people.

Also I dont see whats wrong with navigational bar at the top, I find it one of the best things about boards, moving around from section to section really easily. Hiding them away in a corner button is less appealing, so called 'tidying up' buttons etc can also make it lessen the flow of the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I like the basic old layout. I am not a dinosaur but I just find it much easier to use & navigate when I can do it on autopilot without having to think.

No offence to the developers here but there is this urge to constantly change. After all that's what developers do. But, in my experience, newer isn't always better. The worse thing is when change is imposed without choices. There should always be the option to retain the old look. Boards isn't a typical site. For some of us it has become part of our daily routine. A change that we don't like can be maddening.

I prefer it when devs allow users to adjust the view with a good range of settings. G Mail upset a lot of people when they made a major change. They eventually added settings to the menu that gave the new design the look of the old but with the functionality of the new. The emphasis should be on choice rather than just imposing a new look.

I recently updated to Lollipop. I love some of the functionality but hate the round icons & "new" look. Because of the flexibility of Android I could retain everything that I liked & still have the new system.

Advertisement