Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user.

Options
  • 04-03-2015 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

"You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user. "

This is exceptionally annoying. Can't post in any of the threads in Cool Vids & Pics & Links. Can't even quote/reply to another post that has an image.

At what point will I no longer be considered a 'new user'? And why do you have this crippling restriction anyway? I'd have 50+ (decent) posts now if not for this.

Frustrating new user experience. It's almost like you don't want new regular members.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

once you have 50 posts to your name, and have been here for 10 or more days, you will be able to post images, URLs and attachments. It's there to prevent spammers signing up and abusing the site, and has proven itself to be quite an effective countermeasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Depraved wrote: »
    And why do you have this crippling restriction anyway?

There were a number of particularly nasty, and one or two illegal, posts made by very troubled individuals that led to this rule being put in place.

It also cuts down substantially on spammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

I see...so it's like the U.S policy of causing disruption for everyone to protect against the few bad guys.

I'd add a cheeky winking smiley, but it will probably give the same error!

Thanks for the answer & explanation.

No, not everyone, re reg posters will be aware that if they close their account these rules apply to their new account. So the only ones truly affected are brand new posters who want to post links from the off. It's a relatively small percentage I'd have thought and worth it from a site management point of view as the percentage of spammers would be greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

It's just that practically all the forums I'm interested in are media rich (pics, vids, gifs), so it makes it hard to get those initial 50 posts. I feel 'forced' to just add comments to random threads in order to boost post count to 50. That's not good.

I do understand the restriction, but 50 is a bit high IMHO as a new user. Stopping trolls is important, but making new members feel welcome is just as important, especially if you want them to hang around.

• Advertisement

I tend to agree, 10 days + 30 posts would probably be as effective. I vaguely recall there being a further techical reason for that particular number but it's entirely possible that I made that up in my head :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kumarGG

"once you have 50 posts to your name, and have been here for 10 or more days, you will be able to post images, URLs and attachments." how can a person will have 50 posts as he is being restricted to post..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kumarGG

OK, got the point now. Thanks! we have to be active in reply.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement