Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to work recommendation- Cycle superstore or Halfords only

Options
  • 22-09-2014 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm 6'2" and pretty healthy at this point. And incredibly handsome. I want to get a decent bike to get to work with. The commute is about 10km, and under the cycle to work scheme I can only use Halfords or cycle superstore.

I want to end up spending about 300 or less if possible (in cash) so bikes from 6-700 down would be good. Would people mind making recommendations of a couple that I could look at? I have all the equipment and whatnot.

The commute is all road or cycle paths. I get a slight bit extra discount with cycle superstore, but I'm really just looking for guidance.

Edit: I'm probably being hopelessly optimistic with the price range. Anything (prediscount) between 700-1000 would be fine too.

Thanks friends!

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CSS have quite a variety and some of the major brands available. Halfords are a bit more hit and miss, but do have (and indeed now own) Boardman bikes that generally have a good reputation. If you are close to CSS I would suggest heading on down and checking what they have got as they will have a lot more decent variety in your price range than Halfords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

This is a good time of year to buy too as they start clearing out the 2014 range for the new range next year. Have a good look around, might b able to grab yourself a bargin. For what its worth I got a Scott speedster last year for around 700. Its my first bike so I can't compare it to anything but it does the job nicely. Other cyclists in my club like it too so thats something I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭SwiftJustice

Most bikes are made in the same factory in Taiwan. As you're quite tall the most important thing you should be looking for is getting the best bike fit for you. I'd hazard a guess that the staff at CSS know more about bike fitting then Halfords but then again the only person you can trust is yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Most bikes are made in the same factory in Taiwan. As you're quite tall the most important thing you should be looking for is getting the best bike fit for you. I'd hazard a guess that the staff at CSS know more about bike fitting then Halfords but then again the only person you can trust is yourself.

Let me correct the above. Most bikes are not made in the same factory in Taiwan. SwiftJustice clearly gets all his info from Viz or the Onion.

I'd go to CSS and see what they have to offer. Tell them your budget and they'll show you what they have available.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Where they are made has no bearing, each company will specify different quality parts and quality.

I worked as an R and E engineer and we'd get stuff made in our factory to our specification which is ten times the quality of the other stuff coning out if it

• Advertisement
Advertisement