Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stretches of road you have an irrational hatred of?

• 21-09-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Or only semi rational.

For me the road from Roundwood to Long Hill across Calary bog in Wicklow. I think it's a combination of poor road surface, predominately up hill but fragmented and undulating rather than a drag, not that scenic, short sharp descent at the end which is too straight and step for me to enjoy. From Roundwood or Laragh I'd rather cycle home over the Sally Gap even though it must be harder. The other road across Calary is a bit better but fairly busy.

So is there any stretch of road you hate for no obvious reason?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I thoroughly despise the Duncannon line in Wexford, although that's entirely rational, nobody likes it. Very narrow and speeding motorists are very common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a hatred of so many stretches of road, most of them uphill, that it's a wonder, I get out on the bike, at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭531

I thoroughly despise the Duncannon line in Wexford, although that's entirely rational, nobody likes it. Very narrow and speeding motorists are very common.

I agree and i think the problem with it is that, although narrow, it is very straight for the most part and cars simply go too fast on it. Accidents are frequent enough on it too. Although living in the area I try to avoid it, except for crossing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The N2 - Balrath to Finglas/Finglas to Balrath - long, straight, flat and boring especially with a headwind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The last 10km home of any hard cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

The carrigrohane straight in Cork city well the last Km as you approach the anglers rest, it's dead flat and you can really motor along it but the quality of the surface is atrocious, the arenburg of Cork. It.s on a very busy stretch of road so there are cars flying by you anyway which adds to the danger. I don't know how no one has been hurt and it's come to the point now where I simply avoid it just to avoid being hurt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Wow, two most hateds of mine already mentioned. I mostly choose Glenmacnass over Roundwood coming from Laragh, and coming from Duncannon to Dublin, I usually take the right at the Hollow pub and head Gusserane direction. I also prefer arriving to Rathfarnham from Sallygap direction rather than Enniskerry, which is I find as dull as dishwater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

The road from Newcastle to Rathnew in Wicklow is literally a pain in the posterior. The surface is a bone shaker, but there's a kilometer or so of nice smooth tarmac going through Blackditch just to remind you what you are missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Stretch from Anamoe to Roundwood and secondly Laragh to Rathdrum jez it's pure ****e . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

R132 past Blake's cross north bound. Hate it. I'd rather do a detour twice as long on mucky country lanes coming home than use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

A lot of the roads I did today. So bad, a gel bit on one of my gloves burst. I'm not faring too well either :(

I don't understand why we use so many different types of road surfaces/tar etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The Tallaght Bypass (N81) from the Spawell to the Jobstown Inn. Traffic lights, traffic, headwinds and slow drags. I hate it but I do it almost every spin. 8km of torture but once I get past it I'm happy out. The N81 from Brittas to Blessington (both ways) is another boring road but thankfully there are plenty of other options in that area.

Another road I despise is the road from Enniskerry up by The Scalp, Kilternan, etc. Draggy, crappy, boring.

The road from Naas to Kill which is relatively new and runs parallel with the N7 is, to say the least, unspectacular.

A lot of the roads I did today.

What are these roads do you speak of? I don't see today's spin on Strava :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

The 4km or so stretch from back of shankill to kilternan- steady uphill and almost always a headwind..also any part of the N11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

crosstownk wrote: »
    What are these roads do you speak of? I don't see today's spin on Strava :D

It's not up on Strava, just yet :)

Apparently you have 24 hours to do a Gran Fondo, so 5am rise for me in the morning :(

I went for the whole it is "easier to seek forgiveness than permission" thing btw :) 3pm Start but I did my best! :D

That aside...an example of a badly laid road would be from Blessington into Naas, on the Naas side. It's like there was a good road and someone tarmaced over it with flakey tar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

The road between Riverstick and Belgooly on the main Cork-Kinsale road. Very busy road with a few tight bends, hidden dips, and a lot of impatient drivers.

Actually, that's not illogical at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Not a stretch, just the junction coming from Brunswick Street on to Stoneybatter, Arbour Hill and Blackhall Place. One of the most frustrating streets to turn on to or cross.

Then the crossover from Clontarf Road to the cycle path, and further on, getting back to the road, then getting back to the cycle path.

And finally the kissing gates along the canals.

Apart from that, it's usually a hill I've decided to climb, and therefore my own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

colm18 wrote:
    The 4km or so stretch from back of shankill to kilternan- steady uphill and almost always a headwind..also any part of the N11.

Ballychorus road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

does cycle lane/roadway count? sutton to clontarf cycleway I despise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

neris wrote: »

In theory hating a cycle path is particularly irrational so yeah...

Of course in practice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

The Tallaght Bypass (N81) from the Spawell to the Jobstown Inn. Traffic lights, traffic, headwinds and slow drags. I hate it but I do it almost every spin. 8km of torture but once I get past it I'm happy out. The N81 from Brittas to Blessington (both ways) is another boring road but thankfully there are plenty of other options in that area.

Have you considered this
    Another road I despise is the road from Enniskerry up by The Scalp, Kilternan, etc. Draggy, crappy, boring.

Totally irrational ('cause I love that stretch)

At least the bit on the lower road from Enniskerry as far as the petrol station. Smooth, constant slope, serpentine bends, Deciduous trees whats not to like? Generally it's the last hill on the way home for me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

http://www.strava.com/segments/4586187

I hate this. It's a handy climb with a nice view out over Kenmare Bay - but I have always hated and suffered on this climb. I mean it's a piece of pish - but I have a hang up about it. I usually do it on the way to the Healy Pass which is longer and steeper - but I always enjoy the Healy Pass even when pushing hard on it. This one I hate - even when saving myself for a push on the Healy I always seem to go into the red very easily here.
    Doesn't help that the road from Kenmare out to the base of the climb is horrible.

Oh, and I also hate it the other way too.
    I would rather go up Stocking Lane or Three Rock anyway of the week before going up Carriganain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Pinnock hill in Swords heading south. Normally it's at the end of a hard spin for me, I hate it with a passion. As for hills has to be Ardcath, used in McNally Swords Club League. Never do well on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

The N52, Mullingar to Dundalk road! Aaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

I've many, but these particular three always come to mind:

Having to cycle up the Knocklyon Road in the Southerly direction. Uphill, too narrow, in poor condition and too many ramps. https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2900164,-6.3110463,3a,75y,181.95h,77.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s4IpJntLTaY7DeLflrFYEmA!2e0

The Ballycullen Road from the Firhouse Road direction eg. from the junction next to Morton's. Takes too much energy to run / cycle up despite it being in pretty decent condition in comparison to the Knocklyon Road.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2864917,-6.331164,3a,75y,166.82h,86.71t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1ss9eOju_qQHw5ObxXp2qYKQ!2e0

Last but not least - this particular little stretch when cycling from SG direction. Always run out of energy on this spot. https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.1996739,-6.2959882,1408m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Another road I despise is the road from Enniskerry up by The Scalp, Kilternan, etc. Draggy, crappy, boring....
    That's a grand stretch of road. The Scalp especially could hardly be described as boring? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

OldBean wrote: »

Then the crossover from Clontarf Road to the cycle path, and further on, getting back to the road, then getting back to the cycle path.

Really hard to cross, there's road bike sized rutting on the route, every time you're on it you just think who the feck designed this? Then you've got the bins on the actual cycle lane further up, the steps cut into it...
    neris wrote: »

Apart from the inconvenient break mentioned above this has to be the nicest cycle in Dublin, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

colm18 wrote: »
    also any part of the N11.

Totally agree, especially the suburban sections - however, I particularly dislike the South to North section through the Glen of the Downs.

I also dislike any section of road that WW county council have recently resurfaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I always hated the N2 between Carrick and Blayney as the road surface was terrible, in fact most of the N2 between Ardee and Monaghan Town was woeful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Brennanstown rd from Cabinteely towards Foxrock in Dublin.

The uphill section is steep, extremely narrow and dark.

The council recently did a full sweep to fix the terrible surface and the water drainage problem, so one point back there.

There is a section of it which becomes a small stream after a decent dose of rain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ROK ON wrote: »
    http://www.strava.com/segments/4586187

I hate this. It's a handy climb with a nice view out over Kenmare Bay - but I have always hated and suffered on this climb. I mean it's a piece of pish - but I have a hang up about it. I usually do it on the way to the Healy Pass which is longer and steeper - but I always enjoy the Healy Pass even when pushing hard on it. This one I hate - even when saving myself for a push on the Healy I always seem to go into the red very easily here.
    Doesn't help that the road from Kenmare out to the base of the climb is horrible.

Oh, and I also hate it the other way too.
    I would rather go up Stocking Lane or Three Rock anyway of the week before going up Carriganain.

know this one well, done it a couple of times recently, last one as part of the lost sheep HIM. absolutely hated it the first time i did it, actually didn't find it too bad the last time. i think it's the fact you know the real climb in healy is on the way and you just want to get this over but it goes on and on..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

a148pro wrote: »

Apart from the inconvenient break mentioned above this has to be the nicest cycle in Dublin, no?

I think any hatred of this stretch is completely rational. It's full of pedestrians, too narrow and dangerous.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

mossym wrote: »
    know this one well, done it a couple of times recently, last one as part of the lost sheep HIM. absolutely hated it the first time i did it, actually didn't find it too bad the last time. i think it's the fact you know the real climb in healy is on the way and you just want to get this over but it goes on and on..

I'm bewildered, it's one of my favourite stretches of road in country. The climb and the descent into Laragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Poggio- back into Enniskerry from Powerscourt. Hate it, loathe it, bilious contempt for it.
    Legs always jelly coming onto it. Usually trying to catch goat-like club mates while being chased by a white van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭thejaguar

The little road behind Marlay Park beside the M50 - no matter which way I am going there's a headwind.
    At the start or end of a cycle when I get on that road I feel like I'm cycling in sand - doesn't matter which direction. I hate it.

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    I'm bewildered, it's one of my favourite stretches of road in country. The climb and the descent into Laragh

well the thread title does say irrational..:)

first time i did it this year was wet and misty, did the ROK on the saturday, a long run on the sunday, and the kenmare/healy/caha/kenmare loop on the monday, so heading up it legs were still cold and stiff and i hated it...

set the tone, although i did enjoy it last time out, it's a smashing descent though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

detones wrote: »
    R132 past Blake's cross north bound. Hate it. I'd rather do a detour twice as long on mucky country lanes coming home than use it.

Agreed but I use it a lot for longer intervals. It's quiet enough, flattish and there's nothing to interrupt your effort for 12k or so. I just about put up with the crappy surface and the complete lack of anything to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

greenmat wrote: »
    Pinnock hill in Swords heading south. Normally it's at the end of a hard spin for me, I hate it with a passion. As for hills has to be Ardcath, used in McNally Swords Club League. Never do well on it.

I always avoid Pinnock Hill by heading through Feltrim. And I am also useless on Ardcath - I am still in mourning for the loss of the Nag's Head to the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

The climb on the Old Military road between the Glencree junction and the featherbeds.
    http://www.strava.com/segments/7052767

2 km of draggy ****e that always looks like it's just about to end but is nothing but false flat after false flat. And always comes at the end of some long climby cycle so your legs are wrecked and it's the only thing between you and the lovely down-hill to home.

The poggio as already mentioned is also pretty annoying. Basically anything that is right at the end of the way home from a long day's climbing in Wicklow.

reading the thread, how the guys around dublin go cycling at all is beyond me, seems to be a huge number of roads people hate up there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭preston johnny

The road between Riverstick and Belgooly on the main Cork-Kinsale road. Very busy road with a few tight bends, hidden dips, and a lot of impatient drivers.

Actually, that's not illogical at all.

+ 1

A bloody nightmare, I avoid it at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

the last 1.5 km to stepaside village from enniskerry direction.. not a fan of the scalp road either.. they both look (and are) harmless enough but after 100km in your legs you could just do without them. not a fan of ballychorus road from shankhill direction for the same reasons..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I don't get this. So you don't like the hills that get you to and from the hills you like to cycle? :D

I live in Shankill so anything around Enniskerry/Stepaside/Ballycorus
    is my downhill freewheel home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Funny how many of my favourite bits of road are popping up here. I always enjoy the stretch from Roundwood to Old Long Hill and Ballychorus is an excellent drag for getting the blood flowing.

I tend to avoid sharp descents unless I can get a good sense of the road ahead. Coming down at Bohernabreena always gives me the fear - I would climb it 3 times rather than go down it once.

Have you considered this

Totally irrational ('cause I love that stretch)

At least the bit on the lower road from Enniskerry as far as the petrol station. Smooth, constant slope, serpentine bends, Deciduous trees whats not to like? Generally it's the last hill on the way home for me too.

Firhouse road is much of a muchness although less traffic. I've often contemplated taking that option. I must give it a go.
    That's a grand stretch of road. The Scalp especially could hardly be described as boring? :confused:

From Enniskerry to the filling station is not too bad but after that I just don't like it yes, I agree, it's totally irrational. I can't explain it, tbh. On the other hand, I love going up the Embankment. I'm obviously a confused individual :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Dundrum Road!

And I cycle it every day.

The traffic is always at a standstill so I scoot up the inside. This leads to regular near misses and lucky escapes.

I'm not sure what else I can do, apart from slowing down (psychologically hard to do when you are commuting to work) or going out of my way to take an alternative route.

Hate this road! They need to make it one way and put in a proper bike lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭PrismES

Orwell Park Road and Highfield Road both in Rathgar, not irrational just terrible surface, shakes me to the bones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Barton Road East in South Dublin approaching the roundabout behind Nutgrove. 99.9% of motorists turning left will overtake and pull in on top of you regardless of how you're indicating. 99.9% of motorists coming from Ballinteer won't see you on the roundabout either.

It's actually rational hatred now that I think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

mickydcork wrote: »
    Dundrum Road!

And I cycle it every day.

The traffic is always at a standstill so I scoot up the inside. This leads to regular near misses and lucky escapes.

I'm not sure what else I can do, apart from slowing down (psychologically hard to do when you are commuting to work) or going out of my way to take an alternative route.

Hate this road! They need to make it one way and put in a proper bike lane.

Overtake on the outside. Less opportunity for near misses, just pedestrians leaping out or cars turning to try the other route...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

The climb to Luggala from the Roundwood road..Ball breaker, false flats and whilst it can be a gorgeous view down to the lake, you can see the pain coming in the climb to the Sally Gap.

The Rock road.. Full of patchwork BS repairs, sunken drains in the cycle paths on both sides-if I didn't know better, it looks as if the Artillery had a range practice on it.. Very difficult to understand how the authorities wish to embrace cycling when you see a road like that.

Plus one on the general comments on the Roundwood Kilmacanogue stretch- even if it's from the safety aspect.. A lot of cars drive it like it is Mondello-pity as it's a great surface

• Advertisement
Advertisement