Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kreuziger cleared by Czech Olympic Committee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

I reckon they'll bring it to CAS.

I'd have about as much faith in the Czech Olympic Committee as I would the Jamaican equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I reckon they'll bring it to CAS.

I'd have about as much faith in the Czech Olympic Committee as I would the Jamaican equivalent.

I'd have more faith in both of them compared to the uci

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

wasted season for Roman. missed all grand tours

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Will WADA have a say in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

First Impeys BS excuse, now this ??

National Bodies should have no, hand, act, or part in the Anti-Doping process

fishfoodie wrote: »

While I agree that neither sporting or national organisations should be involved. There will also be people who have no interest in due process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Actually they should, because otherwise it's down to the UCI to be judge jury and executioner. This way at least there is a higher level to appeal thru. It is a pity that yes Federations aren't as Professional as they could be, but that's down to the UCI - it really doesn't do anything to bring them forward.

Junior wrote: »
    Actually they should, because otherwise it's down to the UCI to be judge jury and executioner. This way at least there is a higher level to appeal thru. It is a pity that yes Federations aren't as Professional as they could be, but that's down to the UCI - it really doesn't do anything to bring them forward.

I don't want the UCI or the IOC involved either, they both have Conflicts of Interest too when it comes to banning riders, & detecting cheats.

The only worthwhile anti-doping body will be one that has no connection with the sport, & no financial, or political interest in whether a positive happens or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

I don't want the UCI or the IOC involved either, they both have Conflicts of Interest too when it comes to banning riders, & detecting cheats.

The only worthwhile anti-doping body will be one that has no connection with the sport, & no financial, or political interest in whether a positive happens or not.

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So who pays for this organisation with "no financial interest"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Beasty wrote: »
    So who pays for this organisation with "no financial interest"?

Tax all the commercial revenue streams in Cycling. Lets call it a Drugs Tax, these revenues shall fund an independent drug testing system.

Its the ever increasing revenue streams which is increasing the temptation.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You've managed to politicise as well as creating financial interests in one fell swoop there. I'm not disagreeing with the approach but it's simply impossible to detach this from the "real" cycling world. Ultimately you have to trust someone to set the rules, including the "tax" rate and rules as well as pay the right people for the right service.

Beasty wrote: »
    You've managed to politicise as well as creating financial interests in one fell swoop there. I'm not disagreeing with the approach but it's simply impossible to detach this from the "real" cycling world. Ultimately you have to trust someone to set the rules, including the "tax" rate and rules as well as pay the right people for the right service.

Also so many teams are struggling financially, and creating a drug tax could be the end of them.

drogdub wrote: »
    Also so many teams are struggling financially, and creating a drug tax could be the end of them.

But if the testing is done by a truly independent service, then that same service can be used by multiple sports. So the funding is no longer just from cycling, it can be cycling, boxing & x-country skiing, or whatever !

The labs & equipment are always the same, the agency just needs to bill each sport according to the amount of testing they want ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

But if the testing is done by a truly independent service, then that same service can be used by multiple sports. So the funding is no longer just from cycling, it can be cycling, boxing & x-country skiing, or whatever !

The labs & equipment are always the same, the agency just needs to bill each sport according to the amount of testing they want ?

you mean like WADA already is ?

How much testing a sport wants should be irrelevant, it should be mandated from elsewhere. WADA should do it only, but that would involve them standing up to the big sports and that hasn't happened yet.

Start by taking the anti doping budgets from national and sporting organisations or a levy based on income. Of course this would involve
    a desire to stop doping and I'm not convinced this exists in sport at political or top level

Junior wrote: »
    you mean like WADA already is ?

Like WADA, but not WADA. I think the body needs to be not be aligned to any single Sport, & to be independent, just like WADA. We saw the difference it made in bringing Lance to book, when it was someone who wasn't the UCI, or the US Fed asking the questions. Oh, & unlike WADA, in that WADA can't open cases on it's own.

I think it is better if it is however separate to WADA, as then you maintain a 2nd tier of enforcement above whatever the new body would be. If you combine everything into one agency, you run the risk of empire building & the same bureaucratic nonsense we've seen in the UCI, where a single person can effectively castrate the entire program.

Advertisement