Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Feedback Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ROK ON wrote: »
    Also, I am not in favour of having any threads or queries in relation to electric bikes. They have very little if anything to do with the sport of cycling. The forum does cater for people who wish to speak about cycling in a commenting context.
    However I feel that E-bikes are a step too far. IMHO they properly belong elsewhere such as the commuting forum.

I have to disagree with you here. E-bikes/pedal assisted bikes etc. are not commonly talked about on the forum but to me, considering we cover alot of cycle commuting issues as well, this would be the first place I would post about one if I had questions. I imagine that is the same for many other posters and potential posters. Maybe they have something about them over in C&T but considering it can be a bridge over to regular bikes and that they are generally purchased through bike shops, I think they are suited here.

Your suggestion wold imply that someone asking about a suitable bike for commuting/B2W would be better suited to the C&T forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you here. E-bikes/pedal assisted bikes etc. are not commonly talked about on the forum but to me, considering we cover alot of cycle commuting issues as well, this would be the first place I would post about one if I had questions. I imagine that is the same for many other posters and potential posters. Maybe they have something about them over in C&T but considering it can be a bridge over to regular bikes and that they are generally purchased through bike shops, I think they are suited here.

Your suggestion wold imply that someone asking about a suitable bike for commuting/B2W would be better suited to the C&T forum.

Indeed and one can always not read a thread if it is of no interest or "a step too far".

• Registered Users Posts: 31,019 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you here. E-bikes/pedal assisted bikes etc. are not commonly talked about on the forum but to me, considering we cover alot of cycle commuting issues as well, this would be the first place I would post about one if I had questions.
    If it's a bike, with a motor, then it's a...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=577

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
    If it's a bike, with a motor, then it's a...

All of our bikes have detachable motors, some are just more finely tuned than others mind you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Lumen wrote: »
    It's a shame that there aren't any boards spins these days. A few of us forged lasting friendships from them. I don't know whether the problem is supply or demand or something more subtle.

QFT, it was great spins, I still remember my first spin out to Laragh with blorg.. completely soaked, cold with Mark and Aidan to shout me to me to get up that fecking last hill in enniskerry. I actually might pop up a new thread for this Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One suggestion from me before it slips my mind

How about requiring all requests for places/offers to events such as the Sean Kelly Tour, ROK, WW200 etc to be made in the Cycling Adverts sub-forum? Basically a single thread per event. Would probably need a little tweaking to the Cycling Adverts charter, but it would be better than seeing posters starting numerous threads each looking for an entry in the main forum

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Beasty wrote: »
    One suggestion from me before it slips my mind

How about requiring all requests for places/offers to events such as the Sean Kelly Tour, ROK, WW200 etc to be made in the Cycling Adverts sub-forum? Basically a single thread per event. Would probably need a little tweaking to the Cycling Adverts charter, but it would be better than seeing posters starting numerous threads each looking for an entry in the main forum

Definitely, think we can all agree on that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

... and having seen one in the off-topic thread, which is not a bad place for it, I also think we need to do something about the numerous threads asking for (or offering) discount codes. Again maybe only allowing then in the Cycling Adverts sub-forum may be the way to go as they can clog up the main forum a bit on occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

... I also think we need to do something about the numerous threads asking for (or offering) discount codes

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

... and having seen one in the off-topic thread, which is not a bad place for it, I also think we need to do something about the numerous threads asking for (or offering) discount codes. Again maybe only allowing then in the Cycling Adverts sub-forum may be the way to go as they can clog up the main forum a bit on occasions
    Idleater wrote: »
    The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread.

Or the bargain alert thread?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

stecleary wrote: »
    Or the bargain alert thread?

That'd be where I'd be inclined to put them too actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

I'm still a newbie but I think the forum is good.

Just wondering if, in addition to cycling adverts and the training logs, we could have a section added for cycling events, whether they be leisure or racing. Might be handy to have them all together for people, organizers and participants alike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I don't like that I can't see through spoilers on the phone like I can on the laptop. Is there a way to change this? More of an IT issue I understand.

h24293626

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

AstraMonti wrote: »
    QFT, it was great spins, I still remember my first spin out to Laragh with blorg.. completely soaked, cold with Mark and Aidan to shout me to me to get up that fecking last hill in enniskerry. I actually might pop up a new thread for this Saturday.

We had a lovely Boards Spin organised during the summer and only 12 people showed up.

You went home early IIRC :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I don't like that I can't see through spoilers on the phone like I can on the laptop. Is there a way to change this? More of an IT issue I understand.

If you use the touch version of the site you just touch the spoiler and it's revealed. Are you still using the mobile version ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If you use the touch version of the site you just touch the spoiler and it's revealed. Are you still using the mobile version ?

Wow, since three years ago too (http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056302257/1/#post72827570). I've been clicking quote like a chump.
    +1 to the feedback thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I would add my name to complimenting the mods on their thankless work.....though at times they can appear a little too eager to stifle any dissent with their opinion - I'm not sure why, are all opinions not part of the debate?

Anyway, to a suggestion: lots of other fora that I use allow an OP to close their own thread and I don't know they why boards.ie dont allow it, it would reduce admin overheads surely. This is especially the case for the Cycling Adverts subforum, butjust as useful in the main forum. Probably not an issue for just this forum......

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Anyway, to a suggestion: lots of other fora that I use allow an OP to close their own thread and I don't know they why boards.ie dont allow it, it would reduce admin overheads surely. This is especially the case for the Cycling Adverts subforum, butjust as useful in the main forum. Probably not an issue for just this forum......

It being a site-wide decision, not something we can change. In my opinion, the best thing to do would be if people would report their own post when they want an advert closed. Only posting in thread is no good really - that requires us to read through each and every thread, which is a big ask.

though at times they can appear a little too eager to stifle any dissent with their opinion - I'm not sure why, are all opinions not part of the debate?
    Not sure what prompted these comments - could you perhaps provide some examples?
    That's a site rather than forum issue. Can't imagine they would allow it as the OP never "owns" a thread

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

I find the forum invaluable and good craic. Wouldn't be much I'd change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

I really enjoy the forum. Thanks to everyone involved.

My only suggestion would be to split the racing threads (both professional and amateur) into a subsection of their own. Separate the out general enquiries ie today there is a thread for a bike for a four year old next to a thread for the Worlds TT.

Thanks again to all mods and administrators. Keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Sorry if its been mentioned but I'd like to see a reviews or 'stuff i use thread'. Its handy to get feedback for stuff from other members before buying it and often the online review sites are biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

The_Sub wrote: »
    Sorry if its been mentioned but I'd like to see a reviews or 'stuff i use thread'. Its handy to get feedback for stuff from other members before buying it and often the online review sites are biased.

+1. The yacf forum has a good bike review section.

How is this going to work in practice? There are hundreds of bikes out there with variations on each part. One thread trying to encompass it all seems to miss the point as people may as well search the whole forum.

Will posters post comments on a particular bit of gear in the hope someone will find it useful, or does someone have to ask for feedback on something they are looking to buy?

Let's face it a large number of threads are started by an similarly large number of posters asking for recommendations or feedback on specific things they are looking at or for. Is this not simply merging all this into a single thread with no structure meaning it becomes a bit hit and miss?

I guess something like the external adverts thread. A set format in which people can post reviews (no chat or requests or 'what do people think of' threads, etc. Those can be new threads or PMs). The topics can be anything, bikes, clothing, parts, creams, whatever people use and what to post an opinion of.

I guess something like the external adverts thread. A set format in which people can post reviews (no chat or requests or 'what do people think of' threads, etc. Those can be new threads or PMs). The topics can be anything, bikes, clothing, parts, creams, whatever people use and what to post an opinion of.
    But that could run to many thousands of posts - how do people find what they are looking for, or do they in practice just start over again with a new query?

Well they can search within the thread for the item they are looking for, the formatting of the post is key to making it easy to find.

At least there is a starting point to check for instead of just searching the whole forum to see if someone else uses it or starting a new thread and hoping someone responds.

Even things like reporting on clothing fit/sizing are handy enough. This doesn't need to be a huge post just something simple.

Post Title: Product Review
    Item: Cree rechargeable bike light
    Price: 20€
    Source: ebay
    Date Bought: 1/1/2013
    Frequency of use: daily
    Pros: quick to charge, lasts 5 days based on 1 hour daily bike ride.
    Cons: heavy, can be too bright when driving in traffic.
    Opinion: Worth it given the price paid, something else.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭g0g

Great forum, really enjoy it! Thanks to the mods, must take a fair bit of time to do the job and it's probably not thanked enough!

Only change I'd love that was mentioned is a ban on quoting pics in the pic-heavy threads. I love the likes of Velopeloton's photo collections, but I do not like having to scroll past the same 5 photos twice because someone wants to add a comment like "great pics" and quote them all!

g0g wrote: »
    Only change I'd love that was mentioned is a ban on quoting pics in the pic-heavy threads.
    We've tried to discourage it in one or two places already - I agree it probably make sense to discourage it everywhere. Not sure about an outright ban as that may require strict enforcement - sometimes things are quoted in a particular context and not seeing the whole picture may detract from that (say someone posts 5 images and someone else simply wants to highlight something from one of them then quoting that single image may help out). So maybe a policy of discouragement arther than a ban is the way forward on this

• Advertisement

Well they can search within the thread for the item they are looking for, the formatting of the post is key to making it easy to find.

At least there is a starting point to check for instead of just searching the whole forum to see if someone else uses it or starting a new thread and hoping someone responds.

Even things like reporting on clothing fit/sizing are handy enough. This doesn't need to be a huge post just something simple.

Post Title: Product Review
    Item: Cree rechargeable bike light
    Price: 20€
    Source: ebay
    Date Bought: 1/1/2013
    Frequency of use: daily
    Pros: quick to charge, lasts 5 days based on 1 hour daily bike ride.
    Cons: heavy, can be too bright when driving in traffic.
    Opinion: Worth it given the price paid, something else.....
    I just have this suspicion that a very large proportion of the stuff posted in such a thread will never be read in the context envisaged. Anyway, I would be interested to hear the thoughts of others on this suggestion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement