Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foot sore from cleats...

• 21-09-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭

Been having some pain on sole of foot recently... Didn't think much of it... Thought it was from wearing flip flops a lot during the summer.
    However today during a cycle it became apparent it's from cycling in cleats.
    It's like I can feel the clear pushing up into my foot. I'm by no way a grinder... Quite the opposite in fact.
    I checked out my shoes when I got home expecting to maybe see a crack in the sole or something but thd dole is rock solid, clear is in exact same position on both feet but only hurting the one foot.
    I suppose I've acres questions:
    Ideal cleat position in relation to foot?
    Anyone had similar experience?

My shoes are pretty decent spiuk ones... Think I paid about 100 quid for them a few years back and they haven't seen much use till this year.
    Marty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dan2912

Roughly. Sit on your kitchen table, let your feet dangle and find their natural position. Line your cleat so your feet are close to that natural position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Tomred13

Hi,
    Do as Dan says first! you may just need new insoles too especially if you had'nt had problems before now. spezialised do good insoles but get fitted for them first..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭furiousox

Thin socks?
    Overtightened cleats?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Dan2912 wrote: »
    Roughly. Sit on your kitchen table, let your feet dangle and find their natural position. Line your cleat so your feet are close to that natural position.

Cheers Dan for reply...
    Im not quite sure i understand you....could you elaborate a bit.

I understand hanging the foot etc...but that doesnt tell me where the cleat should go in relation to my foot and at what crank position.

I did some reading up last night and maybe my shoes are too small.
    they feel fine but i nearly always end up with numb toes aswell after an hour or so and its prob down to feet swelling up leading to pinched nerves.

I will move my cleats back a bit(seems to be a common solution to the soreness)...i have thin socks and never tighten the straps much...but maybe my shoes are just a bit too snug.
    Marty.

• Advertisement

Actually...i understand what Dan was saying now.(heel in/heel out)
    I was more looking for Fore/aft advice on cleat position...
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dan2912

If the cleats line up to the angle of your natural foot position you can adjust the clear fore/aft according to where you feel the pain. For me it was the outside of my foot. I done the dangling thing first then moved out the cleat as far out as it would go to the outside position on the shoe to support the pressure on the outside of my foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

If your toes are numb and your straps are loose maybe your feet are moving forward in the shoes while cycling? Perhaps try tightening the shoes across the instep so that the feet are secure. Then the toes won't get bunched up against the front of the shoe.

cjt156 wrote: »
    If your toes are numb and your straps are loose maybe your feet are moving forward in the shoes while cycling? Perhaps try tightening the shoes across the instep so that the feet are secure. Then the toes won't get bunched up against the front of the shoe.

you have me thinking....Initially when my toes started going numb I started loosening the straps a little more than i normally would...now i think they are going numb even more often/earlier in my spins..

I still think my shoes might be a little tight around the toes in any case...im sure when i bought them as a pretty inexperienced cyclist i got what i thought were a "good snug fit" thinking thats what i needed.

Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

are you cycling further than normal? The reason i ask is that I used to have a pair of shimano shoes that were grand up to 2 hours , but then the balls of my feet would really start to ache like mad. I just got a size bigger and I've had no issues since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pats22b

I've had this before with some mid range shoes: they had a non carbon sole so there was a bit of give in them and I'm primarily a runner so spend a lot of time out of the saddle and putting all my weight on the pedals and could feel the cleats pushing through the shoe. got a pair of carbon sole diadoras with no give in them what so ever and haven't had the problem since

are you cycling further than normal? The reason i ask is that I used to have a pair of shimano shoes that were grand up to 2 hours , but then the balls of my feet would really start to ache like mad. I just got a size bigger and I've had no issues since.

Yes i suppose i am...I have done a few 3 hour spins recently(2 is a few isnt it ?? ;) )

Up until that it was max 2 hours but more commonly 60-> 90 mins.

Im going to move the cleat back a bit this evening...and maybe look into investing in better shoes...there appears to be no give in them but i think i may have them sized wrong in any case.
    It will be hard to identify when i fix the prob though as it seems to not go away between cycles at the frequency im currently getting out...(twice a week max)

Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Yes i suppose i am...I have done a few 3 hour spins recently(2 is a few isnt it ?? ;) )

Up until that it was max 2 hours but more commonly 60-> 90 mins.

Im going to move the cleat back a bit this evening...and maybe look into investing in better shoes...there appears to be no give in them but i think i may have them sized wrong in any case.
    It will be hard to identify when i fix the prob though as it seems to not go away between cycles at the frequency im currently getting out...(twice a week max)

Marty.

The pain i used to get was like an intense heat, it started out between the balls of my feet and then it was like a whole foot numbness with heat. no amount of moving cleats or loosening straps would sort it. If i took off the shoes and walked 10 steps barefoot, the pain would dissappear pretty much instantly, but would return again within five minutes of putting the shoes back on. Oddly enough, it only came when I was pedalling - i.e. if I was just standing in the shoes it felt fine.

Advertisement