Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Short tour on a road bike, who's experienced?

• 21-07-2014 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Thinking of a trip from Calais to Luxembourg, via Brussels perhaps, in a few weeks time. Taking it easy over ten days or so. Was browsing this forum for ideas and saw some of you have done similar before.

I'm thinking a Carradice longflap saddle bag and support, probably a smaller handlebar bag, a lightweight tent and a credit card ...and a eurotunnel and sail/rail return journey. I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

About what?
    - carriers
    - where to camp
    - specific routes
    - what clothes to pack?

Most common carrier solution for a road bike without braze-ons would be a (non carbon)-seatpost-mounted carrier and a bag designed for it. Topeak do a decent range, various German discount bike shops have other options (rose, for example, are pretty cheap).

Alternatively, a Carradice bag (one of the really big ones), hanging off the saddle. Don't imagine it'll take a tent though. Once you are tenting, you're also sleeping bagging and mattress-using...starts to move you into 'real carrier plus panniers' territory. If you have a credit card option, consider seeking out Gites (cheap french accommodation) and campsites that rent mobile homes/chalets/permanent tents - anything where you don't need a sleeping bag.

For inspiration, google 'crazy guy on a bike'. For unusual bike luggage options, see www.alpkit.com.

FWIW, I'm planning a week in Switzerland with an alpkit dry bag hanging off the back of my brooks saddle by two bits of nylon webbing. It'll look a bit pants, but it saves the weight of a carrier and a pannier, while remaining waterproof.

If you're tent-camping, every French town of any size has a municipal campsite. Cheap and cheerful usually; the odd one has a pool and all sorts of fancy stuff. One man and one bike generally won't need to book ahead, unless you go to tourist hot-spots, in which case ring ahead.

Routes - take a look at open cycle map, and see if there are designated cycle routes that go your way. When they aren't gravelly, they are often very pleasant on the continent.

Clothes - depends on how tolerant you are, and how much you care about what others think. I reckon you need at least a pair of light trousers, some flip-flops, a t-shirt and maybe a fleece (or a gabba or similar jersey). Also suncream and the usual minimal wash kit.

Finally - the viewranger iphone/android app does a great job of offline open-street-map mapping, with a little work you can put each day into the phone in advance, and this can make navigation pretty simple. I did this for a week in Italy this summer (Pisa to Rome) and it was very useful indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Thanks!

Sorry I was being terribly general but fishing for just the kind of answer you gave. I think it's doable with the saddlebag alright, and investigating ultralight tent and compact sleeping bag options. Having a look at your idea about alpkit bags now too. Municipal campsites look the biz and for a couple of euro! Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

I often wondered how practical and cheap it would be to use a courier(Dhl/ups etc) to drop off parcels of clean clothes in advance to booked accomadation and send used items home same way , it would cut out a lot of weight.

I presume a few people have taken the sail/rail from Dublin to London, perhaps London to Calais too, just wondering if there are any things to be aware of as a cyclist with a bike on these trips - is the bike locked up below decks and are there separate carriages on trains for bikes etc? Apologies if these questions are annoying but there's very little info apart from costs on the official websites (and even those are a little vague for some services).

poochiem wrote: »
    I presume a few people have taken the sail/rail from Dublin to London, perhaps London to Calais too, just wondering if there are any things to be aware of as a cyclist with a bike on these trips - is the bike locked up below decks and are there separate carriages on trains for bikes etc? Apologies if these questions are annoying but there's very little info apart from costs on the official websites (and even those are a little vague for some services).

When last I did this (a fair while back) you locked your bike to a big metal stanchion in the hold, in a corner of the car deck.

Train arrangements vary. French trains + bikes are a complex story (google it), but most non-local trains that DO allow bikes have handy hanging hooks beside the luggage racks, couldn't be easier. You sit in the same carriage and can see your bike all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

brownian wrote: »
    About what?
    - carriers
    - where to camp
    - specific routes
    - what clothes to pack?

Most common carrier solution for a road bike without braze-ons would be a (non carbon)-seatpost-mounted carrier and a bag designed for it. Topeak do a decent range, various German discount bike shops have other options (rose, for example, are pretty cheap).

Alternatively, a Carradice bag (one of the really big ones), hanging off the saddle. Don't imagine it'll take a tent though. Once you are tenting, you're also sleeping bagging and mattress-using...starts to move you into 'real carrier plus panniers' territory. If you have a credit card option, consider seeking out Gites (cheap french accommodation) and campsites that rent mobile homes/chalets/permanent tents - anything where you don't need a sleeping bag.

For inspiration, google 'crazy guy on a bike'. For unusual bike luggage options, see www.alpkit.com.

FWIW, I'm planning a week in Switzerland with an alpkit dry bag hanging off the back of my brooks saddle by two bits of nylon webbing. It'll look a bit pants, but it saves the weight of a carrier and a pannier, while remaining waterproof.

If you're tent-camping, every French town of any size has a municipal campsite. Cheap and cheerful usually; the odd one has a pool and all sorts of fancy stuff. One man and one bike generally won't need to book ahead, unless you go to tourist hot-spots, in which case ring ahead.

Routes - take a look at open cycle map, and see if there are designated cycle routes that go your way. When they aren't gravelly, they are often very pleasant on the continent.

Clothes - depends on how tolerant you are, and how much you care about what others think. I reckon you need at least a pair of light trousers, some flip-flops, a t-shirt and maybe a fleece (or a gabba or similar jersey). Also suncream and the usual minimal wash kit.

Finally - the viewranger iphone/android app does a great job of offline open-street-map mapping, with a little work you can put each day into the phone in advance, and this can make navigation pretty simple. I did this for a week in Italy this summer (Pisa to Rome) and it was very useful indeed.

I am still unsure of a solution for my cycling holiers (here), but after googling your suggestion highlighted above (right here), I think I am now one step closer, might still buy those panniers from my advert also :)

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

poochiem wrote: »
    Thinking of a trip from Calais to Luxembourg, via Brussels perhaps, in a few weeks time. Taking it easy over ten days or so. Was browsing this forum for ideas and saw some of you have done similar before.

I'm thinking a Carradice longflap saddle bag and support, probably a smaller handlebar bag, a lightweight tent and a credit card ...and a eurotunnel and sail/rail return journey. I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Best of Wishes & Safe n Happy Peddling on your Holier :)

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I am still unsure of a solution for my cycling holiers (here), but after googling your suggestion highlighted above (right here), I think I am now one step closer, might still buy those panniers from my advert also :)

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

mmm - what I have in mind is a sausage shaped dry bag with lash/support points at each end and every 30% along the length of it. When closed, it hangs horizonally behind the carried, held by two nylon tapes that go through the 30% and 70% lash points

Bag is this one
    https://www.alpkit.com/products/airlok-xtra
    hangs off back of Brooks.

Anyway, hope you get a solution to suit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Hey

Ive done what you are planning several times around Ireland.

- Carradice Nelson long flap is perfect for ' light ' touring ( staying in B&Bs / small hotels) for up to two weeks. That and jersey pockets.

- Bring as little as possible if you want to cover some distance during the day.

- Two sets of cycling gear, two sets of evening wear ( keeping that at shorts and t-shirt ), 2 sets of underwear, a foldable rain jacket and flip flops are all you need for light touring. Bring some washing powder to wash clothes in the evening.

- Bare minimum of toiletries and bike repair gear. Give your bike a good service before going. On three tours of over 1200km i never had a puncture or mechanical by servicing the bike beforehand.

- Work out your routes for each day before you go, write down where you are cycling each day on a card and have a smartphone to check any deviation from that route on google maps. Bring a physical map instead of a Garmin. Make a note of where bike stores will be on the route.

Read this guy : http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.com

- Book all your accommodation a few days before getting there. On two occasions I pre booked all of mine in advance..that has its pros and cons.

Thought I'd post a follow up here for anyone interested in lightweight touring/camping.

Thanks to your suggestions, especially ror_74 for all the advice. I bought a Carradice Camper Longflap with QR support as a saddlebag - my Lapierre doesn't take panniers so the combination saddle & seatpost support works well. I also bought a Carradice carradura handlebar bag.

My weight limits were approx 10kg on the rear and around 5kg on the front and space was also at a premium.
    Eureka Solitaire 1-man tunnel tent.
    Snugpak Travelpak 1, 3-season, compressions sack sleeping bag.
    Zip-off travel trousers/shorts.
    Microfibre towel with click latch so i could let it dry while cycling.
    10L dry sack (stuff sack) compression bag for my clothes around €15-€20 lots of brands.
    Argos camping mat.
    Power bank to charge phone, gopro and vaporiser.
    Kryptonite mini-ulock with mount bracket.
    Had a fairly extensive service on the bike which unfortunately meant new wheels, new brakes and I changed the rear tyre to a 25mm gatorskin for more comfort than my 23mm. As well as bringing 2 tubes, plastic tyre levers and 2 bottles of gas & adaptor I taped a spare gatorskin tyre under the down tube. I had two sets of cycling gear, and 3 sets of t-shirts/underwear with a merino top and leggings that could double as casual wear with my travel pants. One hi-viz rain jacket (vital in the bad weather I had) a pair of penneys €4 plimsols.

My plan was to get to Luxembourg for pints with my cousin. I bought a sail/rail ticket from Irish Ferries for €131 to include my bike in a return trip to London. I'll probably not ever go through Britain again if possible. The rail system there is beyond useless. Multiple train companies with different policies means that what should be a straighforward trip from Holyhead to St.Pancras is instead a nightmare of running down platforms with a fully laden bike and throwing yourself at the mercy of engineers who can decide on the spot whether or not to let you on. No reservations can be made at all with some services. In the end I think I took 7 trains to get to Dover.

Word of advice about Calais. Don't arrive at night. They've shut the terminal which used to be 24hrs and is recommended on travel forums for 'friendly staff, showers, all night food' so I found myself being told to leave the port at 2am into a thunderstorm and with no hotel rooms available. I had to rest in a bus stop in the centre of town while hurricane Bertha and dodgy people kept me from sleep.

In France, cycling is a real pleasure. The drivers almost without exception gave me wide berth, backed off on hills and junctions and even waved encouragement from time to time! Maybe I was fortunate in that my route included many towns that had been visited by the Tour this year. Similarly, the trains are accommodating. There is no charge, no reservation necessary and many trains have between 6-12 hanging racks for bikes, even when there are only 2-3 carriages. (TGV has different rules and charges). As well as the roads being cycle friendly there are many bike routes such as the canal tow-paths that have been converted for a really low-stress cycle.

Camping: generally you don't need to book outside of high season if pitching a tent, I cycled in August and still had no problems. there are something like 4,000 campsites in France, almost every town has a municipal camping and on the whole I found them cheap and friendly as well as very clean. Standard price to pitch was €7-€10 including electricity. Private sites were more. The area of northeast France wasn't so suitable for rough camping as agriculture dominated so fields were either high with corn or full of cattle.

I'll throw a few pics below to show the setup I had. Hope that's of interest to people.
    Fully loaded, saddle bag with the tent and floor mat under the long flap.
    Bike racks in French trains, each with a fold down seat for cyclist beside it.
    Sometimes the GPS took the piss
    waterproof foldover for the map, takes pressure of constantly referring to gps
    Typical of the overtaking was the cars actually took the other side of the road.
    1-man tent. once you get organised there's plenty of room, however you can't really sit up straight in it never mind stand!

• Advertisement
Advertisement