Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer in heat

Options
  • 14-07-2010 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

We have two boxers a bitch and a dog. The bitch is still technically a pup as it is only about a year and a half old and not fully grown yet. The dog is about four. The bitch has this week gone into her second heat and its driving the dog crazy our only saving grace is that he hasn't a clue what to do, he keeps following her around and sniffing at her. When we see this we give out to him and send him tio bed and he runs off very embarrassed. I was just wondering is there anything that we can do to help the dog while she is in heat. Also around what age should we consider neutering the bitch, I think she is still a bit young seeing as she is not fully grown yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would urge you to keep these dogs separated as its takes seconds for a dog to mate with a bitch and as for the comment he doesnt know what to do, trust me he does and he will and once he mates with her and ties theres absol nothing you can do from stopping them.

Be responsible and keep these separated at all times until she is over her heat or you will end up with a litter of puppies. As i said it only takes seconds for him to mate with her and it could be just you going out of the room for a moment so do not leave them unsupervised at any time.

She can be neutered any time from now, once she is well over her heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

She should be old enough to get neutered now, once she's over her heat.

Is the other dog neutered? I assume he is. It's funny that he doesn't know what to do . . . or maybe he does but she doesn't want to mate yet. A neutered dog might still want to mate with a bitch in heat, but obv won't get her pregnant.

If he's not neutered, and they do mate, then you can take her to the vet as soon as possible and get an injection to stop her getting pregnant, hopefully, or get her neutered. It'd be much better to keep them separate though, if he's not neutered.

Advertisement