Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NRL 2014

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

The Rabitohs are really finding a bit of form now. Sam Burgess must be in the top 10 players in that league at the minute. He was immense again today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

skippymac6 wrote: »
    The Rabitohs are really finding a bit of form now. Sam Burgess must be in the top 10 players in that league at the minute. He was immense again today

He's a fantastic player, such a shame he is going to union next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Jarrad Hayne is leading the Dally M standings, think Burgess is next (not 100% but is close). The guys a phenomenal athlete. 115Kgs, unreal hands, quick on his feet and this year his discipline has been sensational. Bath have a real quality lad to add to their backrow!

Jarrad Hayne is leading the Dally M standings, think Burgess is next (not 100% but is close). The guys a phenomenal athlete. 115Kgs, unreal hands, quick on his feet and this year his discipline has been sensational. Bath have a real quality lad to add to their backrow!

He's unreal and his brother George is going to be a superstar as well.

Will bath play him in the backrow? I thought he was going to be tried out at first centre a la Sonny Bill??

He's unreal and his brother George is going to be a superstar as well.

Will bath play him in the backrow? I thought he was going to be tried out at first centre a la Sonny Bill??

Mike Ford came out saying he;'ll be in the backrow, since the RFU refused to pay any of his wages and compensation they have no say on where he's put. Ford wants a brute in the BR with Eastmond 12

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

My second ever NRL experience:

Smashing NRL footy action today as the Penrith Panthers tore the Wests Tigers apart by 26 points to 10 at the ridiculously inaccessible but gloriously atmospheric Leichardt Oval. This battle of the big cats saw the team from the western part of western Sydney triumph over Wests, who are from the eastern part of western Sydney, which is actually really in the eastern part of the city if you look at the map. The "western" part goes reeeaallly far west.

After spending the morning watching Junior F standard hurling way out in the sticks in the godforsaken kip that is Ingleburn, I left too little time to get back into town for the 3pm kick-off. Sydney's public transport system is deceptive. It's all shiny and new on the outside, but the reality is its trains and buses are slow and ponderous. Anyway, why break the habit of a lifetime and be early for something when you can be late, or use public transport's failings as an excuse? After walking around Town Hall Square and George Street like a headless chicken for 20 minutes vainly searching for a bus stop and a bus route that seemingly didn't exist (even though listed on the official city transport website and map), I got a bus down the Parramatta Road and hopped out about two miles from the ground - the nearest point I could get within via bus. As it was by now half-time, I hailed a taxi. But I made a huge mistake in not crossing the road first - there is no right turn on Parramatta Road and the Indian guy driving it went a good mile beyond the junction where I wanted to turn off before going left and doing a u-turn to go straight across to the other side. After me instructing him where to go through a load of backstreets (the Google Maps usage killed my flagging phone battery) - he hadn't a clue where the stadium was and appeared to have never heard of it, he eventually got me there with the second half already on. I went up to the gate and asked if there was any chance of getting in. "Sorry mate, it's sold out" was the reply. "Feck", says I with a resigned and exasperated look on my face, as this was one stadium I really wanted to visit - it's the most played on ground in NRL/NSWRL history, and there isn't another match there for a couple of months, by which time I'll be well away and back in Ireland.

I decided to have a walk around the outside of the ground anyway, hearing the noise and looking longingly up through the industrial fencing, chicken wire and trees to the backs of the spectators at the back of the huge grass bank, as if I were gazing at Miranda Kerr. I got around to the other side and asked a security man if there was any chance of getting in. "This is the players entrance, mate. Go up to the front." I went up to the front and there were a group of people walking back in after being outside. I was about to ask the Maori guy doing security if there was any chance of getting in but instead I kind of tagged onto the back of the group, and he just nodded me on, even though it was obvious he knew I hadn't a ticket.. Two NRL matches attended so far - combined cost: $0 (got a spare one outside the Manly - Sydney Roosters match last week for which a supporter refused to accept any payment for).

Penrith were 16-0 up when I got in but Wests got a try down below where I was as I was making my way across to the big hill. I tried to sit down on the grass but the sun was blinding me so I went to stand further up towards the back. I allowed myself a beer as the combined cost of the taxi and the beer was still considerably lower than a face value ticket would have been. Penrith tagged on two tries to kill the game off. Wests got a consolation at the end. The banter between the supporters was splendid indeed, very GAA-like but with more swearing, people drinking cans of beer and openly flouting the no-smoking rule. I tentatively positioned myself near a mixed group of Wests and Penrith supporters who were bantering each other. I made some general, neutral, twee comment about the match, whereupon a Penrith supporter replied in the general conversational manner of Australians (they call it shouting in Ireland). "Yaaoooouuuurre Irish, maaayte... HAND OF FROG!" Recognising that he was talking about Thierry Henry I replied that I had attended the match in question. "Naaaooow fackin way, maaaayte.." He then toasted me with his can of Carlton. As I left I inquired from a supporter where I could get a black and amber hooped Tigers beanie like the one he was wearing. I told him they weren't the only black and amber team with a feline nickname that would be torn apart today (that didn't quite work out). He didn't get that but responded "Ha, mate, my grandmother knitted this for me. I'll give it to you for $100!" The manually operated scoreboard showed the real final score as I left, and that what everybody had just witnessed had been an illusion - Wests 69 (11 tries, 12 goals) to Penrith's 0. :D

Leichardt Oval is a wonderful venue, a compact, intimate venue by the banks of the Parramatta, although you can't see the river as half the ground is hemmed in by woods. The hill there is a bit like the old one at Clones, and the surrounding area had the traffic jams afterwards to match. There's a move on in Rugby League to try and do away with smaller suburban grounds like this one and Brookvale Oval in Manly which I attended last week, in a similar manner to what the AFL has done in Melbourne where all matches are played in only two stadiums. That would be a serious mistake. The match experience at both grounds is wonderful, with the more family orientated crowd sitting on the grass lower down, the more hardcore element standing further back, where the banter, insults, beer and laughs fly around. It's a real, proper match experience, way removed from the sterile dirge of flat pack new stadiums like the new Lansdowne Road. Real people, real atmosphere, despite the cheesy public address announcements and songs. Some people would call this kind of a place a shlthole and in Ireland there's no way it would have a safety certificate, but I fooking loved it, despite the two hours it took to get back home (home as in where I'm staying, not home as in Ireland. Two hours would be a wonderfully quick flight).

Mike Ford came out saying he;'ll be in the backrow, since the RFU refused to pay any of his wages and compensation they have no say on where he's put. Ford wants a brute in the BR with Eastmond 12

Well he certainly could play there. He'd be a machine at 6 or 8 but at 12 with his offloading game he could be awesome.

Be interesting to see how he does and hopefully he'll be more Jason Robinson than Benji Marshall ;) (albeit that two two players were backs)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Paddy Constable

Rabbitohs lost to the Gold Coast Titans ...how did that happen.

Was in the Suncorp for the game against the Broncos...Bunnies won 28/26 ...magic.

Rabbitohs lost to the Gold Coast Titans ...how did that happen.

Was in the Suncorp for the game against the Broncos...Bunnies won 28/26 ...magic.

The Rabbitohs bounced back with a bang this morning against the Eels.

Maybe a bit harsh as he was on the wrong end of the scoreline but Sam Burgess with two tries outplayed Hayne in the Dally M medal race too.

Big game this weekend is Penrith vs Sydney Roosters. If Penrith can get a win there with all their injuries then they have to be taken seriously. Looking forward to Moylan in the halves as well.

Big win for the Warriors, done their points difference the world of good too! Raiders all over the shop.

• Advertisement

My second ever NRL experience:

Fantastic post sid, best I've read on boards on any subject for a while.

Big win for Souths this morning, Keary has breathed new life into them it seems.

On another note the Doggies are really struggling now and amazingly could be in danger on missing out in the finals.

Penrith flying again. Mansours work rate is incredible. Idris hitting good form. Top 4 for me. With ET, Wallace and almost certainly Peachey out for the season it'll be an epic achievement to be competitive in the finals!

For me the Storm look good!

I'm all for the Warriors to get a Major Prem win! Get Shaun Johnson, Hurrell fit and they are a serious outfit under new guidance. THEY LOOK AWESOME

Penrith flying again. Mansours work rate is incredible. Idris hitting good form. Top 4 for me. With ET, Wallace and almost certainly Peachey out for the season it'll be an epic achievement to be competitive in the finals!

For me the Storm look good!

I'm all for the Warriors to get a Major Prem win! Get Shaun Johnson, Hurrell fit and they are a serious outfit under new guidance. THEY LOOK AWESOME

The Storm were looking good before their last ten minute implosion against the Knights! they will be dangerous come finals time though.

Think the Roosters, Rabbitohs and Sea Eagles are the top 3 in the comp at the minute but Penrith will be tough to beat as their defence is so good.

Two great games this weekend with the undoubted highlight the Sydney Derby. Think the Rabbitohs week off might stand to them and I expect them to win in a tight game.

In the other one I'm sticking with the Panthers. The Bulldogs have undoubted momentum but I think the Panthers won't underestimate them and be able to frustrate them enough defensively to get the job done.

Looking forward to the final tomorrow. Bulldogs finished the season with a great run, think South Sydney will have too much for them though.

Anybody watching the Grand Final?

Sam Burgess playing with a broken cheekbone. Bunnies leading 6-0 early in the second half.

Edit: Scratch that - Bulldogs have just scored a try to bring it back to 6-4 with an easy conversion to come.

George Burgess scores! A1!

14-6 Bunnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

San burgess is a freak. Played 79 minutes with a broken cheekbone!!!

Great performance by South Sydney and well deserved victory. Very good speech by burgess afterwards as well.

Good to see South Sydney get the win after so many years waiting. Graham's head did a bit of damage during the game for the Bulldogs though, couple of nasty clashes.

Shame to see Burgess off to Kick and Clap, he will be a big loss to League, fantastic player.

• Advertisement

Good to see South Sydney get the win after so many years waiting. Graham's head did a bit of damage during the game for the Bulldogs though, couple of nasty clashes.

Shame to see Burgess off to Kick and Clap, he will be a big loss to League, fantastic player.

Massive loss. Be interesting to see how he gets on.

George Burgess was immense in the final and would have got the medal if Sam wasn't so courageous playing through the pain barrier. Imagine if Tom got to that level too next year or the year after. They'd be tough to stop then.

Sam will be really missed in the four nations tournament now too. England while maybe not at Australia's level should be looking to beat the other two at least with the amount of talent they have at their disposal. I know they play NZ in NZ this year but they should still be looking to make the final.

On the four nations subject, with Slater out it will be interesting to see who they go for at fullback. Obviously usual centres Hayne and Inglis could revert back there but it would be interesting if Sheen decides to keep those two together at 3 and 4 and maybe pick Morgan or Moylan as teh fullback. I'd love to see Moylan in there to be honest, I think behind that backline and dovetailing with Cronk-Thurston-Smith he would be brilliant.

To add to the NRL player loss, the Hayne Plane is taking off to America. He's leaving the eels to chase a dream of playing in the NFL!

Has turned down a deal worth $1.25M a year to stay, highest contract EVER offered to a NRL player.

He says he'll return to Parra should his dream not become reality. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching Jarrad be the best in the league this year! Sad to see him go

To add to the NRL player loss, the Hayne Plane is taking off to America. He's leaving the eels to chase a dream of playing in the NFL!

Has turned down a deal worth $1.25M a year to stay, highest contract EVER offered to a NRL player.

He says he'll return to Parra should his dream not become reality. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching Jarrad be the best in the league this year! Sad to see him go

Fair play to him for having a go at something new. NFL is a tough game to get into when you haven't been bought up playing it. He'll be an also ran in the sport for at least a couple of years, on a lot less money. Hope he does well though.

Fair play to him for having a go at something new. NFL is a tough game to get into when you haven't been bought up playing it. He'll be an also ran in the sport for at least a couple of years, on a lot less money. Hope he does well though.

Yep but if there was ever someone who could make the switch surely it's him. Would love to see him make an impact. Another massive loss to the NRL though.

They are altering the salary cap aren't they, to try and see off ARL and Union poaching the talent. Don't think it would have mattered in this case as he looks like he is driven by the challenge, not necessarily the financial side (at least initially)

They are altering the salary cap aren't they, to try and see off ARL and Union poaching the talent. Don't think it would have mattered in this case as he looks like he is driven by the challenge, not necessarily the financial side (at least initially)

They are adding 'Marquee' additions to be exempt from club caps, the NRL themselves (Dave Smith) is pushing for them to pay the big ticket brings salary. So should Burgess, Folau , Quade Cooper, James O Connor etc.... go to the NRL they would be the Marquee additions.

The likes of Inglis and other will get a similar offer but will be a booster from the NRL again exempt from the cap whilst regular salary is still capped by their clubs.

I believe thats how its going to work going forward to ensure the biggest names stay but also draw back those who've left.

Folau an Eels target along with Choc Watmomugh, Kieran Foran, Brett Stewart and more

Advertisement