Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords vs Local Motor Factors

Options
  • 15-07-2014 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

The old man lives in D15 as I did for many years before heading for the sticks. Anyway he had his NCT and noticed the morning of same that one of his headlights had died overnight. Headed to Halfords who wanted to charge him €18 for some super brilliant H7 bulb plus €7.99 to fit it. After saying that was a bit dear they offered him a Halfords own brand H7 for €11.99 plus the same €7.99 to fit. This is the bulb I think:

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/bulbs-wiper-blades-batteries/bulbs/halfords-hbu477-55w-h7-car-bulb-x-1

He is not motor savvy at all but reckoned this was a bit stiff. Headed to a motor factors on Clonsilla Road. €5 for a H7 bulb and €5 to fit. Carbase motorstore beside Supermikes/Clonsilla Inn. There are loads of motor factors round: that one, Mulhuddart Autoparts and one in Dunboyne. It annoys me to see people paying over the odds for something they could get done by a local business for half the price. Personally I buy my stuff online and do it myself but for the less knowledgable out there use your local motor factors!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

I always try to shop local and support Irish businesses, where price is not exceptionally different. Generally the level of knowledge and expereince is broader outside the chains. I tend to adopt the approach "use it or lose it". Would rather keep the money locally than see it repatriated to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Parts for cars in Coolime across from the an post sorting office is the place to go!

I had a similar story with the tip of my aerial being much cheaper there than in halfords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

There's a new motor factors in Tyrellstown too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

My father used to own a motor factors and business was very good in the 1980's. People tend to try to fix their own problems during recessionary times it seems and with all these new factors opening it seems nothing has changed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

January wrote: »
    There's a new motor factors in Tyrellstown too :)

Yeah, directly across from the barbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I read above and I wonder if people can quantify the charges that Halfords has it in the Park and a local store, somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Also ,a business needs to make a profit and pay wages...basic rules of the economy.

Also, Halfords has a much better customer experience than a local shop, where you can go and ask for exact part if you know it as a DIY rather than browsing trough the aisles.

Myself, i shop around, I check 2-3 shops before deciding to purchase but most of the time I buy under impulse from the nicer shop in Halfords. If you need the part today, your local shop may be the best bet if he can keep up his word that you'll have it until morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

rolion wrote: »
    I read above and I wonder if people can quantify the charges that Halfords has it in the Park and a local store, somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Also ,a business needs to make a profit and pay wages...basic rules of the economy.

Also, Halfords has a much better customer experience than a local shop, where you can go and ask for exact part if you know it as a DIY rather than browsing trough the aisles.

Myself, i shop around, I check 2-3 shops before deciding to purchase but most of the time I buy under impulse from the nicer shop in Halfords. If you need the part today, your local shop may be the best bet if he can keep up his word that you'll have it until morning.

Halfords has enormous buying power so it's margins would be significantly higher than a small local store.

I also find customer care and service severely lacking in comparison with a smaller owner occupied business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

rolion wrote: »

I would completely disagree with you in regard of the "Halfords customer experience". I find their staff mostly disintetested and unhelpful. As opposed to my own direct customer experience in both Parts for Cars, Coolmine Ind Est and the Motorfactors in Clonsilla Village. In both places the staff were very helpful and displayed very good product knowledge.

I know where I'll be going my bit 'n pieces in future and it won't be Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Halfords is as autoparts store as Maplin is electronic store.
    Both overpriced and for people who have no idea what they need or what they are buying.

And yes I have right to my own opinion!

Halfords H1 bulb 10 euro
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/bulbs-wiper-blades-batteries/bulbs/halfords-hbu448-55w-h1-car-bulb-x-1

It cost less than 3 euro in my local petrol station...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Given the choice, I always go to a factors for bits and pieces. They're especially good for queries when you don't know exactly what you need, e.g., replacing a random filter. Prices are usually great.

However, if you're stuck on an evening or on a Sunday, Halfords is a godsend. Basically, you pay for its convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭dodzy

The lads in CarBase ( next to Supermikes on the Clonsilla Road ) are sound. And they'll price match to get the business too.

Advertisement