Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Studies & Arts Management

Options
  • 16-05-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I've just found out about this course and would really appreciate some info on it such as structure, classes hours etc.. I'm interested in doing a business course this one is kind of standing out as being a bit different.

I'd really like to know are careers afterwards fully in the arts management part of business though? I'd be interested in event management but i still don't know if its fully what i want to do so basically will i be able to do marketing with this degree as well.

Also I've never got to check out iadt so any info on the college would be nice :P

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'm a bit late replying, but anyway! I've just finished my final exams for this course and loved it! The structure is a little different to when I started but I can give you an overview.

First off careers, graduates have gone into many kinds of jobs, but mostly they would be arts and cultural sector. Some have gone on to do masters in accounting, law, PR, marketing, event management. Personally, my interests like in music, dance and theatre.

Secondly, and this is important - the course is not event management. A few people have been disappointed with this, but it's the truth. You will get the chance to host events, but they will be arts based (exhibitions, gigs, film festivals)

1st year, for me anyway, was two full days (9-5 or so) and three half days, 2nd year we had one day off, one full day, the rest half, 3rd year was pretty full on, I'll get to that, 4th year was one day off, two full, two half. But don't judge courses on the hours! That's the least of your worries!

The course is heavily arts and culture based, and to thoroughly enjoy the course I think you would need to at least have in interest in learning about these areas. There's a subject break down here http://www.iadt.ie/en/ProspectiveStudents/SchoolsCourses/SchoolofBusinessHumanities/BAHonoursinBusinessStudiesandArtsManagement/

You've got a mix of fun history type stuff like music, art and theatre, then the more academic and arts subjects like cultural policy, event management, strategic arts management, cultural project management. Some of the latter there are pretty heavy but really interesting and good chances to do assignments on stuff you personally want to learn about. Finally you have the pure business ends, but often they'll incorporate the arts/culture - marketing, law, HR, accounting, media technology, research methods.

In third year you do a five month work placement, again it's usually arts based, but not always. I worked in a music venue, while some classmates worked in places like Jameson International Film Festival, St Patrick's Festival, Hot Press magazine, various PR companies.

Final year is very busy, including a case study on a topic of your choice. The theme can also be incorporated to other subjects. I did mine on classical ballet, and it has helped me make connections in the industry.

The course allows a lot of opportunities to get out and make contact with people for your assignments, there's loads of site visits to galleries and theatres, in 4th year there's a trip, this year was Prague. All I can say is that it is what it is - Business and Arts. It's an enjoyable course, pretty broad, with opportunity for employment or further study.

I think you should be able to organise a tour of the campus if you call the college. They should be able to sort something out! Check out the Students Union too, I'm sure they'd love to help http://iadtsu.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Roisina_

Twee, do you know how hard it is to get into the course? Is it very popular?? It's number one on my CAO right now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I have no idea! I had it as my first choice and got it in the first round of offers. There's about 40 places in the course, so obviously there will be a little more competition than courses with higher numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.87

Have been accepted for this. Anyone have details on course fees etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 amyandcolour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.87

Hey guys anyone have any idea of what kind of hours/days are involved with this in first year of the degree? for example is it Mon to Fri? 9-5?

Would like an idea of what kind of hours I am available to work part time around the course.

Cheers

Advertisement