Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat had a kitten

Options
  • 08-07-2010 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭

we have that our cat has had a kitten in my dogs shed just at the door. can my mother move the kitten too put in a box or what should she do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

What my friend did was she made a nest in a good place and showed the cat this nest(cat is semi-feral so it wasn't easy) the cat then decided that this area was much better than the back of the garden in the open and moved the kittens herself.

Also one is a bit of an odd number for kittens, I'd be worried that there's more kittens to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

It's possible there was only one, or the others died, or that there is more to come.

You can move the kitten, and put it in a box or something, just show the mother where it is so she knows.

That's kinda weird that the cat had the kitten in a bad place though, is she looking after it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭cena

well the cat some times sleeps in the shed with the dog over night. there was no sign of her last night when i put the dog too bed,she most of been in the shed when i locked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

are you sure theres only one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭cena

i can't find any. this her first time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

This happened me loads of times over the years with the semi-feral cats that lived around our house.
    When the mother cat is there move kitten and mother into the box and put it in a more suitable place. It needs to be draught free and dark(instinctively they do that for the sensitve eyes once they open) and hidden under/behind something.
    If the mum still thinks its unsuitable she will move it again. But prob not back to the dog kennel as it has already been disturbed there (by you).
    First time mothers don't have good records with kittens naturally but can be great with some guidance!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭lilylarkin

Hi, my cat had her first litter on sat but had them behind the gas fire surround in the chimney. I had to take the fireplace apart to get them out. I put all the kittens into a comfy basket lined with a blanket and put it in a corner of my sitting room. My cat at first was trying to get back up the chimney so i blocked it up. She seems really content now with her babies in the basket. It is much more comfy for her also. the spot behind the fire was rough with builders rubble etc, not comfy at all.

I also have a labradoodle Lola who is quite taken by the noise and movement of the kittens. I blocked off the area around the basket with stools and poofs so while she can look in she cant get at them. The cat seems happy with the situation.

Interestingly I let the dog get a closer look at the kittens and she went to bite at them as if I had handed her a biscuit. Im not sure why she would want to bite at them. Is it an attempt to play with them? Lola is a real gentle dog and is bessie mates with the cat. They both get on great. However she seems very agitated at the presence of the kittens and is constantly whining at me to let her see them. I thought if i introduced her to them slowly she would lose interest in them. Not so. She cant wait to get into them every day.

I am being very careful and not giving her unsupervised access to them. Is it normal for her to want to harm them? Im not sure if its to harm them or play with them.

Advertisement