Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little guy photographed on the decking today - identify.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

The viviparous lizard or common lizard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Common lizard? Cool neighbour... Where do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

Common lizard, the only invertebrate in Ireland. Never seen a live only, lucky you. The Irish wildlife trust is doing a survey on sightings. Google them and report your location if you can.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nice find, I saw one hill walking once but they're generally rare to spot as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I saw one in Wicklow when I was young and nobody believed me!! About 10 years later me and my dad saw one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Murray007 wrote: »
    Common lizard, the only invertebrate in Ireland. ...

A. Lizards are not invertebrates; they have a backbone.

B. Abbreviated list of animals that are invertebrates and that are found in Ireland: Slugs, snails, spiders, flies, wasps, bees, cockles, mussels, lobsters, octopus, roundworms, flatworms, earthworms, starfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Common lizard, the only invertebrate in Ireland. Never seen a live only, lucky you. The Irish wildlife trust is doing a survey on sightings. Google them and report your location if you can.

Emailed them this morning.

Just to keep you all up to date, I emailed the Irish Wildlife Trust with 3 pictures of the lizard, telling them where I was and to contact me if they needed better quality pictures .......... received no reply from them.

I notice their website has a sighting of another lizard, also in Donegal, on 5th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Great find!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Lucky you. Roughly where are you living, if it's not too rude to ask.
    Apparently there are plenty of these up around Howth where I go walking often enough and, despite keeping a constant eye out for them, I've never seen one!

• Advertisement

I live in Inishowen peninsula, in North Donegal.

Just as an update on this one, I was sitting round the front of the house the other day, enjoying the sun, when a similar guy ran from behind me, darted across the tarmac towards the front garden.

He then sat in the grass beside a tree for a while, I went to get my camera to take a photo, and he was gone when I came back.

Advertisement