Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logical Reasoning

Options
  • 20-07-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hi, not sure if this is the right section but since boards.ie has about 10 billion specific sections it's pretty tough to figure out where to post a question.

I'd like to learn a bit about logical reasoning/reasoning in general ... Just wondering if anyone could point me towards any good resources (books mainly) that would be good a good place to start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Try these to get you started:
    1. 'A Profile of Mathematical Logic' by Howard DeLong
    2. ' The g Factor: the science of mental ability (human evolution, behavior and intelligence)' by Arthur Jensen
    1 will require you to do a bit of logical reasoning and 2 will give you a sense of what you're lacking if you find 1 difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There's a subset of philosophy called Logic - it might help if we'd a better idea of what your question about logic & reason is.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭sadie9

See Syllogistic Reasoning, this might be what you are after.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syllogism

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Hey, thanks for all the replies will have a read of the links and check out some of the books.
    There's a subset of philosophy called Logic - it might help if we'd a better idea of what your question about logic & reason is.

Basically I'm just interested in learning about logic and reasoning, how to form arguments, learn about deduction etc. I've never really read anything about it so just looking for the basics... an introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Probably better off in Philosophy than Psychology so. :-) JC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Francis O Blibhionn

The book 'Informal Logic' by Douglas Waltan discusses, with examples, the different contexts that people argue in, the mechanisms that are used to prove the thesis, and a great deal about the many fallacies and irrational jumps are often used.

As the name suggests, it isn't concerned with formal predicate logic, but logic in the sense of 'well formed' chains of statements that prove or disprove a thesis, particularly how they interact when people are trying to establish opposing points.

I'm still currently reading it, but from what I've read, I'd recommend it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement