Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know you're getting old when......

Options
  • 20-07-2014 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

.......... you remember these machines in use.

BAC+Machine+for+Boards.jpg

There was one outside Bray Railway Station when I was growing up in the early 1960's. Even then they were ancient as I have seen photographs of them outside stations at the advent of the 20th century.

They were a source of fascination to us kids and I can remember badgering older relatives to give me an old penny (!) to print-out my name on a small strip of metal.

I often wondered what had happened to the machines and, years later (late 1990s), I met a man who had worked for the British Automatic Machine Company who put me in the picture; he said the company had maintained meticulous records and when the decision to get rid of the machines was made, he had the job of contacting all the stations concerned to consign their machines to Hammond Lane in Dublin by the earliest suitable train. The one pictured above turned up at a sale in England a couple of years and no doubt fetched a tidy sum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

You know you're getting old when you..... can just about remember this hotel visit in 1966. The place was burnt to the ground less than a year later! According to Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilmacanogue it was home to the stars when they were working at Ardmore Studios. Note the menu of International Cuisine so typical of Irish hotels back then. :D

Glencormac.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

You know you're getting old when you..... can just about remember this hotel visit in 1966. The place was burnt to the ground less than a year later! According to Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilmacanogue it was home to the stars when they were working at Ardmore Studios. Note the menu of International Cuisine so typical of Irish hotels back then. :D

Glencormac.JPG

I see they were applying a 10% service charge even back then; must have been rare enough to do that-very international:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Tomatoe?
    They must have had George Bush typing up the menus

Advertisement