Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luggala Route

Options
  • 18-07-2014 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Howdy, I'm heading down to luggala tomorrow, plan to do it and djouce from the pier gates, I have done both before but was looking at David Herman's wicklow guide book and he describes a route whereby you follow the cloghoge brook to lough Tay and make your way up a steep gully alongside the cliffs on luggala itself. He says a head for heights is advisable etc.

I'm curious to know if anybody has taken this route? And furthermore, seeing as the book is pretty old at this stage, does anybody know if it's still doable?

Much obliged for any responses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Presume you mean the descent route used by rockclimbers, its rough but easily climbable.

Howdy, I'm heading down to luggala tomorrow, plan to do it and djouce from the pier gates, I have done both before but was looking at David Herman's wicklow guide book and he describes a route whereby you follow the cloghoge brook to lough Tay and make your way up a steep gully alongside the cliffs on luggala itself. He says a head for heights is advisable etc.

I'm curious to know if anybody has taken this route? And furthermore, seeing as the book is pretty old at this stage, does anybody know if it's still doable?

Much obliged for any responses

I've done it a fair few times, not in the last year or so.
    I would rate it very straightforward, tiny bit of scrambling near the top.
    Well worn route, looks difficult from a distance, but in reality easy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Thanks for the responses lads, didn't make it down in the end, my walking buddy had to pull out. Maybe just as well, I was in greystones and there was low level mist covering the top third of the sugarloaf, so I'd imagine the higher ground in wicklow was covered.

It's good to know it's there though, something a little different will definitely be heading up it soon;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Actually conditions were great in the Wicklow Mts. yesterday, even got a little sunburnt! Driving back we hit the sea mist as we got closer to home, so it was confined to the coast, albeit quite far inland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Alun wrote: »
    Actually conditions were great in the Wicklow Mts. yesterday, even got a little sunburnt! Driving back we hit the sea mist as we got closer to home, so it was confined to the coast, albeit quite far inland.

A shame I didn't make it then. Goes to show how hard the weather is to read, the last time I went by the sugarloaf covered in mist and headed for the hills, I got hopelessly lost on lugnaquilla in a whiteout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A shame I didn't make it then. Goes to show how hard the weather is to read, the last time I went by the sugarloaf covered in mist and headed for the hills, I got hopelessly lost on lugnaquilla in a whiteout.

You need a compass, and the courage of your convictions to stick to the bearing. 75 mag will get you to the Fraughen Rock Glen
    You can figure out for Fentons, or Clohernagh.
    Getting down to Glen Ow/Aughavanagh is a bit trickier alright, needing a dogleg, so you need to know how far you've travelled.

Advertisement