Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to psychology students

Options
  • 14-03-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi everyone

I have applied to different psychology degrees as a mature student around Ireland. I have a level 6 in childcare but I have never done the leaving cert, so I'm now a bit worry about how much knowledge on leaving cert modules Im going to be expected to have.! Please let me know if Im wrong,but I believe maths, biology and statistics are an important part of the course.

Do anyone have any recommendation? is the course starting completely from the beginning or will they be expecting me to have some base?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BigCOB

Have you had an interview yet? Maths is the only subject they will question during a mature interview. Say something along the lines of oh it's not something I love but it's no problem to me. Everything else is approached a fresh, biological psych modules will all be new as indeed will statistics, in stats you will be using SPSS, a statistical computer program, so again you will be thought from scratch.

Sorry I've only seen this now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 35 edei

I have been accepted in college where interviews were not needed.!

But still, im a bit concerned about the statistics, so I have started some classes! hopefully, this will help.

Thanks for your reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BigCOB

Good, well done you, never knew you could get a mature student psych degree without an interview!

If it is a psychology primary degree don't worry about the stats. It is predominately computer based and if the lecturer gives you maths to do as a one off (which our lecturer did to show us how it was done 'old school'), then you will be given the full formula which are really straight forward. If you are really anxious then purchase the SPSS Survival Guide for students, great book to be fair, though I never actually bought it!

Good luck with it!

Advertisement