Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You're doing it wrong

Options
  • 19-11-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Whilst clearing a backlog of games Ass Creed, RDR

I noticed i rarely ever used DeadEye in RDR. Only in the challenges never during combat.Finsished the game without it.

I 100% exclusively use stabby stab stab in Ass Creed, i dont know how to block parry or counter. I never use any other weapon other than the hidden blade. Dunno why i keep getting these bombs in Revelations not gonna use them unless mission says so.

Anyone else play games and "play it wrong" so to speak.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Final Fantasy games when I was 12 or younger spring to mind.

Every strategy was to just spam Summons until I win. The idea of using different types of magic didn't occur to me until a few years ago when I went back to replaying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I always feel I've shortchanged myself in the likes of Oblivion/Skyrim.
    Always the standard, heavy armour boring sword man.
    Never touch alchemy or magic, and such a huge portion of the game is dedicated to it.

(also, I'm not a grammar Nazi by any means, but the title is annoying me :P)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Never touch alchemy or magic, and such a huge portion of the game is dedicated to it.

Oddly enough the complete opposite here ,I've alway done down the archery or magic route , never thought of going melee.Must give it a try

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I 100% exclusively use stabby stab stab in Ass Creed, i dont know how to block parry or counter. I never use any other weapon other than the hidden blade. Dunno why i keep getting these bombs in Revelations not gonna use them unless mission says so.

Not knowing how to counter in Assassins Creed :eek: That's... How do you do *any* fights? It's the foundation upon which *ALL* combat in those games is based... Mind blown...

I agree about the bombs, really had to force myself to start using them. However, as a distraction tool, they're second to none.

I remember getting stuck into some multiplayer RDR with some friends at a mini house lan once and one of the lads was saying how he'd just finished the game that weekend so was looking forward to trying the multiplayer. 5 mins in he's getting properly stuffed by the rest of us and we asked him why he wasn't ever shooting from cover. He seemed to have completely ignored and not known about the cover system for the entire game which caused quite a chuckle.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Apparently everything anyone does in Dota 2 is always wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Shiminay wrote: »
    Not knowing how to counter in Assassins Creed :eek: That's... How do you do *any* fights? It's the foundation upon which *ALL* combat in those games is based... Mind blown...

I dont fight tho, swift stab in the back then im gone *poof* if i get over run, i will get behind each one and stab them. A lot easier than it looks, you only ever need to kill one guy most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Resi 4 on the Wii. I walked up to the edge of that first spanish village and started popping headshots into the villagers. Once they were all dead I calmly checked all the houses for goodies before yawning and moving on. Never got very far in the game, thought it was pretty boring. It was only years later when I was talking about how disappointing that game was that someone explained to me what's supposed to happen, so I went back and tried calmly walking into town as if I didn't know I was in a video game.

Jesus christ.

I still maintain that I'm doing it right. Less ammo wasted, much quicker progression through the level, no need to do a secret midnight underpants boil-wash to hide your cowardice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I do this all the time, and usually make life a lot more difficult for myself that it atually needs to be. I'll get a weapon early on in a game, and pretty much never change it. I'll play the whole thing with my primary gun, or one that I got soon after that. This often lands me in trouble and take a lot of the fun out, because I don't get to experience the other weapons till my second playthrough. BulletStorm was a wildly different experience the second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've said this elsewhere but last time playing Ocarina of Time, I forgot how to get the blue tunic so did the Water Temple without it. Also forgot how to get Epona so only got her just before I needed her. And I never got Biggoron's sword. A guy I know who plays the game a lot couldn't understand how I managed to finish the game without those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

In Metal Gear Solid back in the day I shot my way through everything, where possible.
    Also in every RPG I play, I always play as a good aligned character and am very strict about it especially when it comes to quest choices. However I steal absolutely everything I can get my hands on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yep, same as. Even after so many hours in Skyrim, it was mostly all in melee and stealth/archery. I only started to bother trying out magic before I put the game down. Never got into the mages guild. I think its the weakness of magic characters at low levels that put me off. I feel safer with a big shield and sword!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I've said this elsewhere but last time playing Ocarina of Time, I forgot how to get the blue tunic so did the Water Temple without it. Also forgot how to get Epona so only got her just before I needed her. And I never got Biggoron's sword. A guy I know who plays the game a lot couldn't understand how I managed to finish the game without those things.

Biggoron's Sword I can understand as you don't actually need it to finish the game - but the blue tunic? How'd you manage that:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I used to absolutely hate Western RPGs. I'd play them as a total goody too shoes and always make the good choices. It was later when I was listening to the ATB podcast and they were talking about how it was more fun to play these games having fun with choices and actually roleplaying them that I took a chance with Fallout 3 and Mass Effect and realised I was playing them wrong. I had a blast actually role playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

gouche wrote: »
    Biggoron's Sword I can understand as you don't actually need it to finish the game - but the blue tunic? How'd you manage that:confused:

Think i have 30 seconds underwater without it.

As I said to my friend "Who needs Master Quest when you can just make it hard on yourself without it?" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I obey traffic lights in GTA.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I was listening to the ATB podcast and they were talking about how it was more fun to play these games having fun with choices and actually roleplaying them that I took a chance with Fallout 3 and Mass Effect and realised I was playing them wrong. I had a blast actually role playing them.

You got a link to said podcast ?
    And what ye mean by role-playing them, I know the games are RPG, but to what extent in Fallout3 ?...trying to stay in char all along as a selfish baddy or ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

he sometimes dresses up as a nurse while playing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I used to absolutely hate Western RPGs. I'd play them as a total goody too shoes and always make the good choices. It was later when I was listening to the ATB podcast and they were talking about how it was more fun to play these games having fun with choices and actually roleplaying them that I took a chance with Fallout 3 and Mass Effect and realised I was playing them wrong. I had a blast actually role playing them.
    Odd, I always play as a good guy because I genuinely feel bad playing as an evil character. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Agricola wrote: »
    Yep, same as. Even after so many hours in Skyrim, it was mostly all in melee and stealth/archery. I only started to bother trying out magic before I put the game down. Never got into the mages guild. I think its the weakness of magic characters at low levels that put me off. I feel safer with a big shield and sword!
    I did 2h, 1h (single and dual wield), shield, sneak, bow all maxed out along with light and heavy armor and I can honestly say Magic is not good short of heavy speccing in to it I guess. Most things I would offload a full mana bar into it and if it was anything that had leveled with me (such as the zombies running around with ebony blades etc.) it was a waste of time (maxed out storm shout power on the other hand killed a dragon for me...).

I also got into the mage guild (along with thief guild, bard's build and every other guild or position available I could find) but they gave you no reason to use magic beyond initial practice session basically as you're lead along through a couple of dungeons and boss fight which can all be done with any weapon of choice. In the end I quit the game after 120h having maxed everything but four of the magic skills (sitting in their 60s to 80s) and at no time did magic feel powerful as a 2h power attack or a bow sneak attack for damage (and lets not talk pathing when it comes to pets who get 1 shotted etc.).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You got a link to said podcast ?

Here's the podcast here, loads of episodes of it:

http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3176689

Kat Bailey left for Gamepro and continued it as Roleplayers Realm. She's back at 1up thankfully and continuing with ATB.
    gizmo wrote: »
    Odd, I always play as a good guy because I genuinely feel bad playing as an evil character. :o
    And what ye mean by role-playing them, I know the games are RPG, but to what extent in Fallout3 ?...trying to stay in char all along as a selfish baddy or ?

Obviously not tabletop RPG players :)

Basically instead of being just good or bad for the sake of it either pick a character and make the choices they would make or the best way in my opinion, make the choices you would make in that situation. Ignore any morality meters and achievements link to the choices you are made. If you don't like a character, tell them it and make their life hell. Don't like a decision, then don't make it. Also I like to live with the decisions I make as well so no reloading for me if I make a bad one. If you feel bad about making a bad choice then don't make it :)

Western RPGs are all pretty much based on table top RPG templates where the important thing in the games is choice and consequences and not the battle systems (which are usually terrible anyway).

• Advertisement

Basically instead of being just good or bad for the sake of it either pick a character and make the choices they would make or the best way in my opinion, make the choices you would make in that situation. Ignore any morality meters and achievements link to the choices you are made. If you don't like a character, tell them it and make their life hell. Don't like a decision, then don't make it. Also I like to live with the decisions I make as well so no reloading for me if I make a bad one. If you feel bad about making a bad choice then don't make it :)

I thought that was the whole craic anyways? That's how I've always played them, because that's how I believed they should be played. The right/wrong side of these games are in the player's head.

I remember chatting with a mate of mine before Mass Effect 3 came out. He told me who he was just after replaying the first two games and making all the "correct" choices, so now he had the perfect team for the third game. Personally, I thought that defeated the whole purpose of the series.

deathrider wrote: »
    I thought that was the whole craic anyways? That's how I've always played them, because that's how I believed they should be played. The right/wrong side of these games are in the player's head.

Yeah but it took we a long time to figure it out. Only had my first table top RPG experience recently as well which would have enlightened me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fixed. :o

Yeah but it took we a long time to figure it out. Only had my first table top RPG experience recently as well which would have enlightened me.

Never played tabletop games myself, but I always try to put a bit of myself into the character when I'm playing video games. Wether it be making choices in Mass Effect, or just making a create a skater in Tony Hawk's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've probably finished dozens of games with the best one-use items still in my inventory :o

I also pretty much skip through most audio logs / books / memos I find in games. I know I'm missing story and world-building stuff, but I think it's a massively inelegant manner of interactive storytelling. Audio logs are a tad better than written stuff, but only just.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Shiminay wrote: »
    5 mins in he's getting properly stuffed by the rest of us and we asked him why he wasn't ever shooting from cover. He seemed to have completely ignored and not known about the cover system for the entire game which caused quite a chuckle.
    I'm not to found of cover systems either, they seem a bit pointless coming from Keyboard/mouse style of gaming. Used it more in Max Pyane 3 but in many cases I found the cover system makes you more vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Wasn't there some game on ps2, which was something like gta, but in London and you play as a cop and can play same story from the side of the thief?
    I really can't remember the damn name of it...

So anyway I finished that game and I found it extremely HARD! Because in each missions you start with on health bar and there are no med kits. So I died a lot. I replied same missions countless times trying to do it in one life...
    So anyway, when I finished both sides of the game I was messing around London and after some shoot out I barely got away alive. All screen was red and I was about to die and start again, where's my character leaned on the wall, breathed heavily and regenerated its health.... I felt like full underpants on head retarded...

Yup, that was me learning first time in my life about regenerative health system...

Wasn't there some game on ps2, which was something like gta, but in London and you play as a cop and can play same story from the side of the thief?
    I really can't remember the damn name of it...

The Getaway. Was pretty pants from what I played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

A friend of mine will not play a game unless the protagonist is a goody goody human and will not use anything other than a 2handed sword for a weapon.

This applies to all MMO's aswell. I've played numerous MMO's with him and he picks a human warrior in everything. No human warriors available? Then he won't play it. Going to do a dungeon? Don't ask him to tank as he won't use a shield no matter what. He would leave the group before doing so.

A ridiculously epic godly world destroying 2 handed axe/mace drops and he's the only warrior in the group? He doesn't want it!

Recently playing GW2, for anyone not familiar with it, the weapon swapping system is key to the game. Swapping weapons on the fly is how you chain abilities and swap out and in skills. Warriors can use every weapon in the game (about 15) each with a different set of skills available to use. He equipped a 2handed sword at level 1 and never even equipped a 2nd weapon. He levelled to the cap and played a fair amount afterwards and never ever equipped another weapon!! :D

• Advertisement

I thought it was brilliant back in the day ! :D
    I remember you could find some little go-kart type car. It was more "real" graphics wise than GTA3 at the time, and I think I enjoyed the story...going into houses etc.
    Maybe have my rose-tinted glasses on here.

Advertisement