Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to get from Bray to the city centre before 6am on public transport?

Options
  • 18-06-2012 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys. Can anyone tell me if its possible to get from Bray to the city centre by public transport before 6am on a weekday? The best I can come up with is the first Dart from Bray station at 5.38am that arrives around 6.18am in Pearse or the 5.30am Luas from Cherrywood that would arrive just after 6.10am in Stephens Green. Afair there's no parking at the Cherrywood Luas so I may as well drive into the city centre and get there on time.

Neither of these options would get me there before 6am. Alternatively, what is the cheapest all day day parking in the city centre? I think most car parks don't open until 7am which would be a problem. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

• Registered Users Posts: 21,423 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Orobhsa wrote: »
    Nope. You can only go to the airport, the clue is in the name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Aircoach to the airport and then another one back in?

Best bet would be a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If its a regular commute then a moped might be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

There is an 84 from Newcastle at 5am, which passes through Bray and calls at Cherrywood Luas.

There is also a 7D from Dalkey at 5.20, but not sure if that's an option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

+1 on the moped, you'll get in and out of town no bother

Fast and costs very little in fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What bit of town are you going to?

Found this site - http://www.parkopedia.ie/parking/dublin/ - seems that Parnell St opens at 6.30am and is €13.50 for 24 hours. You won't beat that in a taxi!

That site gives details of all (or a lot of) carparks in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Thanks for all the replies. I actually have a motorcycle but I was looking for alternatives for when the weather gets worse, having to get changed etc and the security of the bike while I work because there is no staff parking. I had thought about the air coach but the job is near Nassau St so it'd be decent walk from the stop at the Point each morning.

KD345, I can't find anything about the 84 at 5am on their website. I don't suppose you can post a link. All I can find is a timetable for the 84X that leaves Newcastle at 6.30am http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/84x1/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Here you go, it's the first departure from Newcastle.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/84a/

I don't think it will help you, but connecting with an early Luas, you'd be in town for about 6.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

The 7/7D 0520 from Dalkey goes via Shankill (former shopping centre) then onto Cherrywood bridge and into the City as a 7. On a good day 610am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Of course you'd never guess that from the timetable would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Legally, you could go vis the airport, but it is rather impractical. It would be a 2 hour, €19 journey - you could get a hostel for that price.

To get the staff rate on Aircoach, I get the impression you need airport ID.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Of course you'd never guess that from the timetable would you?

Confusing the entire community :rolleyes:.

Ive no info on Bus Eireann, there is a 2/133. The 2 is a 24hr service BUT bypasses Bray. Maybe check Wexford air express and St.Kevins Glendalough bus services.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KD345 wrote: »
    There is an 84 from Newcastle at 5am, which passes through Bray and calls at Cherrywood Luas.

There is also a 7D from Dalkey at 5.20, but not sure if that's an option.
    RTPI data seems to suggest that the 84 won't get him to Cherrywood Luas until after 6am - DART would be quicker.

The 84 only goes part way in to Cherrywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The 7D goes via Shankill:confused::confused::confused:
    That's a new one, what happened to it going to People's Park, up Glenageary and Tivoli and left to Deansgrange...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Just that departure - it is in fact a 7. But you would never guess from the timetable. It's an early morning "workman" service, designed to get drivers into Donnybrook.

It operates as follows:
    Dalkey (Post office) - Barnhill Rd - Avondale Rd - Church Rd - Shanganagh Rd - Dublin Rd - N11 - Wyatville Rd - Churchview Rd, then regular 7 route as far as Nutley Lane - Donnybrook Garage - Ballsbridge to City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Carrickmines parks and ride? Assuming you do have a car its another 5 minutes up the m50 and its empty all the time. Costs 4 Euros for the day.

http://www.luas.ie/carrickmines-car-park.html

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Victor wrote: »
    Legally, you could go vis the airport, but it is rather impractical. It would be a 2 hour, €19 journey - you could get a hostel for that price.

To get the staff rate on Aircoach, I get the impression you need airport ID.

I've wondered about using the Aircoach as a city service, too. I know they're not supposed to :- but what happens if you buy a ticket to the airport and then just get off at a city centre stop ? The driver presumably isn't physically going to stop you, is he ? And even if he does, surely you could just claim you were ill and needed to get off immediately ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Alan_P wrote: »
    I've wondered about using the Aircoach as a city service, too. I know they're not supposed to :- but what happens if you buy a ticket to the airport and then just get off at a city centre stop ? The driver presumably isn't physically going to stop you, is he ? And even if he does, surely you could just claim you were ill and needed to get off immediately ?

Sure, you might get away with it once or twice, but the driver would surely recognise you and stop you from getting on if you used it regularly.

On the other hand, maybe he would just shrug his shoulders and let you do it anyway.

Personally I'd like to see the NTA be more flexible in this regard. Perhaps Aircoach could actually act as a late night bus service at times DB/BE don't operate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Alan_P wrote: »

The Greystones Aircoach doesn't go through town. It goes over the East-Link bridge, then past the O2 (its last stop) and through the Port Tunnel to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

lxflyer wrote: »
    Just that departure - it is in fact a 7. But you would never guess from the timetable. It's an early morning "workman" service, designed to get drivers into Donnybrook.

It operates as follows:
    Dalkey (Post office) - Barnhill Rd - Avondale Rd - Church Rd - Shanganagh Rd - Dublin Rd - N11 - Wyatville Rd - Churchview Rd, then regular 7 route as far as Nutley Lane - Donnybrook Garage - Ballsbridge to City Centre.

yeah a 7, not 7d. I know about that one, it's been like that for ever. It runs outbound also doesn't it just to get back to the terminus after?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

bk wrote: »
    Personally I'd like to see the NTA be more flexible in this regard. Perhaps Aircoach could actually act as a late night bus service at times DB/BE don't operate.
    They do already, and the mind boggles how one can get from the airport or city centre to destinations all over the country, 24/7, for less than the cost of a taxi to Palmerstown.

The people who live in the greater Dublin area are really being failed by these policies, whoever is dictating them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I think Aircoach should focus on keeping it's current customers happy before it starts to worry about gaining new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭haulier

Does the 0520 staff bus ex -KILMAC still operate ?

If so, if you ask DB nicely......

haulier wrote: »
    Does the 0520 staff bus ex -KILMAC still operate ?

If so, if you ask DB nicely......

The Minnie-mouse, yeah but you need a uniform to get near it. Arrives at Donnybrook 555.

Advertisement