Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I hate to say it, but Kevin Keane needs to get his act together. Much like the All Ireland, he could have prevented the two goals, and it was the first goal that put an end to Mayo today. The first ten minutes were perfect, 3 points up, but then out of nowhere, 2 goals from the dubs in 6 minutes. If he fouled the Dublin man, it was a free in and at most a point, and in my opinion, that is where the game was lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Mayo lost that game in the 1st half. Some amount of goal chances not taken again however the dubs probably missed as many goals. 0-16 is a decent score against All Ireland favourites. Galway in 5 weeks and at least they aren't at the level of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

What disappointed me was the way some of the Mayo players died inthe last quarter. There tiems that Dublin were attacking and Mayo players were just jogging back and Dublin walked through the defence. I'm guessing this was just that they were our on their feet at this stage in the game but I thought it was a bit early to be.
    Towards the end of the match especially, we seemed to lose the ball in the tackle a lot, I thought as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Its been a successful league campaign but christ we need to sort out our forward problems especially at half forward before championship comes around. I know Dillon and Moran are to come back but there is a serious issue that's needs addressing at 11. Backs were caught napping and weren't sharp enough today but recovered well in 2nd half. Cafferkey was good today at 3 and made amends from the night league game when Brogan had him in that game.

And if ever ya want justification about Aidan O'Shea position watch the two halves today and leave it at that. Too important to the team now to mess around with his role at this stage

I think everyone agrees that O'Shea's best position is at midfield, but the problem is that we're lacking someone of good enough standard to play at 11. On the other hand, by playing O'Shea at 11, we have a decent people to take the midfield position. And while O'Shea might be better than them in that position, I'm guessing Horan feels that overall, the team is stronger that way.

When Dillon comes back in to fit into the forwards, I'm sure we'll see O'Shea moving back to midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

you wonder how much heartbreak Mayo football can take, coming up short
    every year its hard to take for the supporter of mayo football.

i know they will be back later on in the championship as they have had fine footballers over the last 25 years, but there is only so much a supporter can
    take another all ireland semil or final defeat for Mayo looks on the cards
    i fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Thought Aidan O'Shea had a good game today, kicked a fine point in the second half. Donie Vaughan will be disappointed with his performance, he made a few unforced errors throughout the game, as did McLoughlin who was well short of his worth today.

Maybe we shouldn't be too surprised with the two Morans, Dillon and Higgins all missing. The lack of goal-scoring ability up front was ultimately what killed off Mayo today and it's going to be a big problem for us come the championship if we can't resolve it.

Fair play to Dublin, 10 minutes into the first half I thought we were going to take them, another 10 minutes in and I was wondering how much we were going to get beaten by. Given the way we were blitzed I don't think there can be many complaints about the final score.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Goals win games, we didn't take the goal chances against Kildare and Tyrone and paid the price, today the same thing.
    The K Keane is in serious trouble of losing his place, his pace is non existant and he just seems to be gone with regards his ability of reading the game. Last year is really affecting him.
    Afraid Vaughan hasn't picked up since last year and it probably our worst defender. Gives the ball away and is much to slow for this level.
    AOS again played out of position until he went to midfield we were getting whipped.
    Clarke was immense. Cillian O'Connor just gets better game on game, the ground he covered was unreal and his scoring was very good.
    Micky Con did his best. DOC the same.
    Seamus O'shea worked hard but looked slow, Gibbons the same.

All in all i never expected us to win, I honestly think if you take Higgins, Dillion, Moran * 2 out of any team them you will be well back. Build on today and move up the fitness.

Heck but its hard to watch the match on TNaG!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Thought Aidan O'Shea had a good game today, kicked a fine point in the second half. Donie Vaughan will be disappointed with his performance, he made a few unforced errors throughout the game, as did McLoughlin who was well short of his worth today.

Maybe we shouldn't be too surprised with the two Morans, Dillon and Higgins all missing. The lack of goal-scoring ability up front was ultimately what killed off Mayo today and it's going to be a big problem for us come the championship if we can't resolve it.

Fair play to Dublin, 10 minutes into the first half I thought we were going to take them, another 10 minutes in and I was wondering how much we were going to get beaten by. Given the way we were blitzed I don't think there can be many complaints about the final score.

AO'S was the losing of the match for Mayo. He couldn't mark his HB and both goals came as a result of plays that originated from AO'S being caught flat-footed by his man. Dublin's half-backs ran Mayo ragged in general today.

It's not even really his fault - the decision to play him at centre forward means his match-up is against someone far more nimble than him. Switching players from their best positions because of need is all well and good but this one moved AO'S farther away from the engine room and created a defensive mis-match the player that Dublin exploited to full effect.

AO'S came into it in the final twenty but the match was already over by then. One of, if not the, best midfielders in the country should be playing as a traditional midfielder. Trying to be too cute caught up to Horan today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Syferus wrote: »
    AO'S was the losing of the match for Mayo. He couldn't mark his HB and both goals came as a result of plays that originated from AO'S being caught flat-footed by his man. Dublin's half-backs ran Mayo ragged in general today.

It's not even really his fault - the decisuion to play him at centre forward means his match-up is against someone far more nimble than him. Switching players from their best positions because of need is all well and good but this one moved AO'S farther away from the engine room and created a defensive mis-match the player that Dublin exploited to full effect.

AO'S came into it in the final twenty but the match was already over by then. One of, if not the, best midfielders in the country should be playing as a traditional midfielder. Trying to be too cute caught up to Horan today.

It was Kevin mc who lost the ball for the second goal.

Aos was briliant in the second half when moved to midfield

• Advertisement

ColeTrain wrote: »
    It was Kevin mc who lost the ball for the second goal.

Aos was briliant in the second half when moved to midfield

Fair enough, but the point remains - having him farther away from the middle and with a HB on him is a liability that caused serious issues for Mayo today. Being brilliant in the middle after a match has been lost is meaningless, if he had started there it may have given Mayo a chance in the game.

Horan has to recognise now that teams have realised how to expose AO'S channel as a CF because everyone will copy the format and lessen his influence in games. AO'S needs to be a primary ball-carrier and at CF that's not what he is. It's wrong on too many levels to continue, even with injuries forcing Horan's hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The lack of goal-scoring ability up front was ultimately what killed off Mayo today and it's going to be a big problem for us come the championship if we can't resolve it.

Is it possible to train this into a team? Conroy is the only one for whom it comes naturally, and he isn't always on his game. The COC chance near the end encapsulated Mayo's goal problem perfectly: the optimum moment to pass it to him was missed, but even then he should have scored and didn't....

Some good discussion on the game here compared to the loltastic game thread on HS. Mayo football might as well jack it all in and take up tiddly winks based on some of the posters 'views' on that thread:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

That game was far too open for Mayo to win. Mayo could have scored a few goals however Dublin could have scored 6. 5 defeats in 8 league games is not good stat for All Ireland contender however when Higgins,Dillon the two Morans returns and AOS reverts back to midfield they should win another Connacht title. After that it's all about the draw there's no guarantee that this Mayo side will reach another All Ireland semi final or final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That game was far too open for Mayo to win. Mayo could have scored a few goals however Dublin could have scored 6. 5 defeats in 8 league games is not good stat for All Ireland contender however when Higgins,Dillon the two Morans returns and AOS reverts back to midfield they should win another Connacht title. After that it's all about the draw there's no guarantee that this Mayo side will reach another All Ireland semi final or final.

I have a queasy feeling Galway might put an early stop to our gallop, has happened a few times in the past to Mayo teams who seemed to be building towards something big...

I have a queasy feeling Galway might put an early stop to our gallop, has happened a few times in the past to Mayo teams who seemed to be building towards something big...

Your not the only one with doubts against Galway and why should we as Meehan and Armstrong are still more than capable forwards and that Galway team on their home patch will be rearing to go, no doubt about that. However I still belief we will just about scrape a win but not a chance Mayo will ease past Galway onto a Connacht semi at the final whistle on 19 May. If we do make it 3 in 3, it will be alot tougher than the previous two campaigns..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I Don't think so. While Galway should give Mayo a game in Salthill they haven't improved much from 2011 and as result they won't be good enough to cause upset.

I really think we/people are expecting too much from Andy Moran when he comes back. After the length of time he's been out for, I fear the expectations/hopes we have of the impact he'll make may be too optimistic. Coming straight back into Championship football without decent match practice to shake of any rustiness...I don't think he'll be as influential as we hope. I think the psychological boost the team will receive from his return will have more of an impact than his direct contribution.

@Fowler, HS is the greates joke of a discussion forum I've seen. The amount of tripe posted on it, along with people's total disregard for any grammar and the ridiculous moderation combines to create a rubbish website if you're looking for half-decent discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Yeah dipped into the HS forum for a minute and felt my rage rising so I left. People talking about league semi-finals like it's an All-Ireland Semi-Final , calling for Horan to resign...awful stuff really. If there's one thing I hate it's a knee-jerk supporter...I think what this campaign has proven though is that, our first choice 15 is very good, certainly capable of competing for an All-Ireland. However without the likes of Dillon, Higgins etc we will fall short. And even if Andy Moran returns as half the player he was he will be a better link up option in the full forward line than what we have currently.

Conroy played very well yesterday but I think he would come on even more if he had Moran to link up with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 man3003

I think our backs and Midfield are fine, I personally would have a fit Cunniffe at 6, our problems yesterday nearly all stemmed from their HB line breaking forward and creating extra men. Barry Moran (if fit)and AOS are surely the 8-9 partnership for Salthill.
    Up front we have too many passengers, COC and Conroy aside the other forwards just didnt contribute enough. We dont have anyone to kick a point from more than 30 yards out. We are also useless at taking goal chances. hopefully Mcloughlin can re find his form, been a patchy league campaign from him. Dillon and Moran will surely add to our options but I dont think we can rely on either in a month, Moran in particular surely will be rusty having not kicked a ball since August.

In truth Dublin never got out of second gear but I did take some positives from the game:
    1- Ger Caff had a good game on BB, needed to after the roasting he got at the start of March.
    2- COC kicking 8 points, we need him fit for us to have a run.
    3- Conroy winning nearly all the 50/50's that went his way.

It's not even really his fault - the decision to play him at centre forward means his match-up is against someone far more nimble than him. Switching players from their best positions because of need is all well and good but this one moved AO'S farther away from the engine room and created a defensive mis-match the player that Dublin exploited to full effect.

I know what you're saying here but I think the criticism should be aimed at the backs. Marking was terrible and Dublin managed to split them wide open numerous times, Kevin Keane had a tough time of it. With all the players missing it's hard to say what would have been the best team to put out, no matter where O'Shea was positioned Mayo were still going to have problems.

It was obvious earlier on in the game that midfield was problematic so Clarke should have been cute like Cluxton and sent the ball out towards the wings where we would have had a better chance of collecting it.

All in all though Horan doesn't seem too disappointed, seemed happy that certain problems were exposed and can be worked on for Galway: http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=190047

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

What is it with Mayo and conceding early goals?!! They make it so hard for themselves.

In fairness Dublin looked good yesterday and will be hard to beat. They look extremely fit, well drilled, well organised, and they've found a couple of new forwards to add into the mix aswell. There will be serious competition for places on that team this Summer.

May 19 is creeping ever closer and as always with Galway v Mayo it should be a good crowd and a good atmosphere. I can understand how Mayo supporters would be wary. Galway are hiding in the long grass in a sense, coming in to this under no real pressure and with low expectations. It will be a test of Mayo to get through this one as it's probably the most awkward first round draw ye could have got.

On a separate note I was surprised at how poor Mayo were defensively yesterday as that's always been one of the strengths of Horan teams.

Mayo backs were very loose. One time in the first half Diarmuid Connolly picked up possession in an acre of space and kicked a handy point with no more than token resistance. Maybe Mayo weren't fully fired up for this one. If the teams meet again in Summer (very possible) I'd expect Mayo to be much more tigerish than they were yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not too pushed about the result yesterday, would have been nice to win but the loss is not that important.
    Horans introduction of Gallagher, Murphy and Rgean seems to indicate as much, it's just a pity they could have not seen a bit more playing time durinmg the year.

The important thing is that in the past few weeks they won the games they needed to win to stay up in Div 1.

Of course there are problems to address, the inability to get goals is a big one even though they created a few more chances yesterday than in previous days.
    I had heard that Buckley’s key job was as a football trainer rather than a physical trainer, hopefully he can work with the forwards to improve them.

I still think they will have too much for Galway and others in Connaught, hiopefully three games in Connaugh will help them before a croke park appearence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

The lack of goals problem originates from the lack of either a physical or pace threat. A Michael Murphy/Donaghy type who can create mis matches for themselves or others.
    Alternatively a very pacy forward with intelligence.
    We don't have such a forward, our closest is Andy Moran at his peak and he will likely need a season to play back into it. Without a mismatch being created the defence remains too water tight at the back.

• Advertisement

I'd agree. Mayo have lots of skilful handy forwards but maybe are missing a target man. Someone like Michael Murphy would be an obvious example but even a player who can be a focal point of the attack. A 'go-to-guy' in a sense, the way Joyce was for Galway for so many years. Andy Moran is the nearest ye have to that and he isn't even fit at the moment. But there's a major lack of leadership when him and Dillon aren't there.

Bad news regarding Mickey Conroy. Having shoulder surgery tomorrow. Anyone reckon he has a chance to return for the rest of the season or will it likely be the first couple games in Connacht he'll be out for?

3 months anyways, I was told

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Horan dogged the boys Friday night and then had a weights test on Saturday, the day before club league games. I realise that inter-county football is his only concern, but surely to god, from being a club manager previously, he should have more respect for the club scene. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

80s Child wrote: »
    Horan dogged the boys Friday night and then had a weights test on Saturday, the day before club league games. I realise that inter-county football is his only concern, but surely to god, from being a club manager previously, he should have more respect for the club scene. Disappointing.
    Weights test might have been quite an easy session just testing power levels. Might not have been all that much in it. Horan is pretty scientific and is well aware of recovery and rest etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Anyone heading up for the challenge match between Fermanagh and Mayo this Saturday?

http://www.hoganstand.com/Mayo/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=190366

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Forgot to post this yesterday, we did a pretty good interview with Liam McHale if anyone wants to take a look:

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/livegaelic-legends/livegaelic-legends-liam-mchale/

It's a two-parter so there's a lot in it. He talks about his own career obviously but also has some great insights into the modern game. I thought it was pretty great anyway, let me know if ye like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Excellent - listening to this at the minute - tremendous insight

Brgds
    Johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Yeah very good interview with Liam McHale up there, only 16 days til Championship!

CANT WAIT

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Anyone heading up for the challenge match between Fermanagh and Mayo this Saturday?

http://www.hoganstand.com/Mayo/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=190366

Finished Mayo 3-14 Fermanagh 1-12

Goals from Donal Vaughan,Alan Murphy,Alan Freeman.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Looking good to have Moran and Dillon both back. Alan Murph played well against Fermanagh.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/mayo-hopes-rise-of-moran-return-for-bench-role-29246554.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

any one know why dillion dident play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Mayo arent going into the Galway game as they would have liked...

Theyve been hampered with injuries for the last few weeks so you'd have to imagine that preparations wont have been going exactly to plan!

I have a bad feeling about this game for Mayo, think itl be alot closer than many think, and im praying to God we dont get turned over.

If we beat Galway, we win Connaught.

Huge Game.

CANT WAIT :)

If you beat Galway you win nothing. The last two Connacht finals should remind you not to be arrogant.

If you beat Galway you win nothing. The last two Connacht finals should remind you not to be arrogant.

Agreed. While beating Galway would put us in a very strong position for 3inarow, you never know. Connacht always the potential for surprises.

• Advertisement

Agreed about last year being bit overconfident but not in 2011 in the Hyde. If anything the Rossies were the arrogant team going into that and Mayo grinded out a great win in terrible conditions.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Agreed about last year being bit overconfident but not in 2011 in the Hyde. If anything the Rossies were the arrogant team going into that and Mayo grinded out a great win in terrible conditions.

Played in terrible conditions alright however it wasn't seen as great win just thankful for O'Connor accuracy on frees and after that performance Mayo weren't given much of chance against Cork in the following game.

Played in terrible conditions alright however it wasn't seen as great win just thankful for O'Connor accuracy on frees and after that performance Mayo weren't given much of chance against Cork in the following game.

I saw it as a solid win tbh. We were playing Roscommon - who were the Connacht Champions - on their own patch, in poor conditions. Then you had the London debacle a couple of games before that. There were plenty of people writing Mayo off before that game.

LOL, remember the Rossies before last years game? Think the attitude of Roscommon going into the final last year was beyond arrogant.

We don't do arrogant, we have lost too many finals to be anywhere near that.

Salthill is a banana skin waiting to happen, Galway will be buoyed by their win last weekend also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I'm very worried about Salthill.

With both teams record in the qualifiers you'd have to say it's a make or break game.

Galway will be buoyant after the u21 win while Mayo have a lot of injuries to a lot of key players.

Hoping for a win but fearing a Galway revival of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I wouldn't be overly concerned about Mayo's previous results in the qualifiers. The years we've been good since they came in, we've generally won Connacht so haven't played in them. The years we've been bad - 2007 and 2010 being recent examples - we've been rightfully beaten in the qualifiers because that is where we were at at that point.

This year, off the back of two successive Connacht titles, we're there to be shot at in Salthill - particularly with our injury woes in the forwards. But if we get beaten, we'll be entering at Round 1 and maybe with a few of the injured players back. On that basis I think we'd give them a good run and unless we get sent somewhere particularly difficult away from home, I'd fancy us to be still standing in late July/early August.

A record breaking 45th Connacht title is obviously the preference though.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I saw it as a solid win tbh. We were playing Roscommon - who were the Connacht Champions - on their own patch, in poor conditions. Then you had the London debacle a couple of games before that. There were plenty of people writing Mayo off before that game.

You can see that by going back to the start of this thread!

I'd be more afraid of Longford than Galway lads :P

Am I right in thinking that 2005 was our best record in the qualifiers off the back of the 2004 AI beating? Austin O'Malley having a blinder in the quarters against Kerry then. Hopefully wont be following that route this year but if it happens, this team should be strong enough to do the same. Would give Moran and co extra games too would probably be minor positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's not arrogance, it's realistic expectation.
    Mayo are a gunien All Ireland contender, no one else in Connaught is.
    The last time we saw arrogance at the Connaught championship was Roscommon in 2011, they won the previous one without having to face Mayo or Galway, got hammered by Cork and then thought they would stroll at home past a team tar struggled v London, how wrong they were.

Roscommon will be no match for mayo in Castlebar comme June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

It's not arrogance, it's realistic expectation.
    Mayo are a gunien All Ireland contender, no one else in Connaught is.
    The last time we saw arrogance at the Connaught championship was Roscommon in 2011, they won the previous one without having to face Mayo or Galway, got hammered by Cork and then thought they would stroll at home past a team tar struggled v London, how wrong they were.

Roscommon will be no match for mayo in Castlebar comme June

Syferus or someone else here talking up his own team would quality as arrogance for a whole county and lets be honest Roscommon's 20 point defeat to Mayo in 2009 hardly had them arrogant going into that Connacht final.

If they U-21 championship is anything to go by Galway have habit of improving once leaving Connacht and their recent record of 7 All Ireland final wins in the last 8 finals is a fine record. For me All Ireland contender is a side that are good enough to win the All Ireland and that rules out this current Mayo team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement