Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Leave

Options
  • 16-02-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

hi, i work as a waitress in a busy hotel, am nearly 27 weeks pregnant and was wondering when to go on maternity leave, or what stage did other people take there's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Only you can really decide that! If you are managing fine then keep going as long as you can, it'l give you more time with the baby after its born then. If you are finding evenings difficult, ask to e put on to day shifts.

I'm a nurse/midwife and took leave from 35 weeks after being quite unwell from 33 weeks with a chest infection. I went back to work after my chest infection and after about 2 hours knew I wasn't going to make it to luchtime, never mind the 38 weeks as planned! Ended up going home half an hour later.

It was actually nice to have a few weeks off before my little lady arrived to meet with friends, have a few treatments and just generally relax before the fun of parenting began!

Congratulations and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Loadie

Legally if you are applying for maternity benefit you need to take 2 weeks off before your due date. Though you can stop work earlier than that if you need to. You are entitled to a total of 26 weeks off work. Check out the citizens information website:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

According to citizens information website you must finish work 2 weeks before your due date and take at least 4 weeks after the baby is born.

After that it's a personal decision. I felt ok up to 34 weeks but was so glad to finish up at 36 weeks. My little lad arrived 4 days early so I was also glad in hindsight I'd had the extra couple of weeks rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Im currently 35 weeks and have planned to work up to week 38 but I have to say its killing me now! I know everyones different but the pressure pains and back ache is making my life a tad miserable. You might need to factor that in if you are on your feet!

Best of luck with everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Days

I'd plan for 38 weeks and if it doesn't work out take it earlier! I hope all goes well for you!
    Eva

• Advertisement
Advertisement