Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen identity and keep on receiving standard Luas fares and now court sommons

Options
  • 02-10-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Long story cut short a few months ago my passport, bank details and other personal details were stolen and used for services without my permission, consent or knownledge. Which i have reported to the gardai.

Also since around the time that my identity was stolen ive been on and off receiving the standard luas fare notice thing for €45 which has my name and address on it. Each time that this happened i immediately ring up veolia and explain that it could not have been me.

I reguarly use the luas myself and i do pay the 7 day weekly flexi ticket for all stops everyweek and im sick and tired of this now its very frustrating to pay for a service everyweek and yet still occasionally get a fine in the post !!

Im guessing that veolia have stopped believing me by me saying on the phone that is not me being caught without a ticket etc. Hence the summons to court. In all honesty though last october or novemeber i was indeed actually caught with an out of date ticket myself recieved the €45 fine and paid it out of my bank account which was no problem i didnt mind that because it was me hold my hands up caught without a valid ticket on the luas.

But its now got to the stage where its actually unbelievable the amount of fines i have received without it being me. Its very disheartening as well.

Any advice on what to do in this situation please ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

I had something similar with Dublin Bus; they handled it well though, I gave them my description and they provided the description of the person. They dropped it right away.

Try again with Veoila, see if they will drop the case; ask them what their evidence is. Have a case number from the Gardaí about your thefts if you do have to go to court, and highlight how unhelpful Veoila have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Going by your posting history this is a staggeringly tall tale

Previously you have
    - Tried to void a losing bet with a big stake after the event by insisting it was an accidental bet
    - Tried to skip out on hire purchase agreements by moving house.
    - Claimed on phone insurance for a lost phone after selling it to a pawn shop.
    - Repeatedly asked for info on loan sharks
    - Asked for advise on how to make a fake ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭neiler987

Previously you have
    - Tried to void a losing bet with a big stake after the event by insisting it was an accidental bet

Excuse me but who the *** are you and why are u stalking me ????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

When you say you have contacted them, do you mean on the phone to the customer care line or via a formal letter to a senior manager?

When you say you have contacted them, do you mean on the phone to the customer care line or via a formal letter to a senior manager?

phone to customer care.. thats what ive always done when i received the letter/fine that wasnt me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if you can prove you have a seven day ticket, then arent you in the clear?

Previously you have

OP... you didn't sell your identity did you, and you're now worried about the consequences? :D

sf80 wrote: »
    I had something similar with Dublin Bus; they handled it well though, I gave them my description and they provided the description of the person. They dropped it right away.

Try again with Veoila, see if they will drop the case; ask them what their evidence is. Have a case number from the Gardaí about your thefts if you do have to go to court, and highlight how unhelpful Veoila have been.

yeah but the only problem with my situation is the havnt caught the person who stole my identity yet. There "working on it".

sf80 wrote: »
    OP... you didn't sell your identity did you, and you're now worried about the consequences? :D

No i did not !!

corktina wrote: »
    if you can prove you have a seven day ticket, then arent you in the clear?

If the fines are issued between tickets then he wouldn't be in the clear.

• Advertisement

neiler987 wrote: »

phone to customer care.. thats what ive always done when i received the letter/fine that wasnt me.

So you are saying that you call up, say "it wasn't me"and that was it, case dropped? I'm sure that you had to do more than that to prove your case.

neiler987 wrote: »
    No i did not !!

Just making a wise crack, I'll take what you say at face value. A judge won't appreciate the company wasting their time. Just have everything you can to support what you are saying. It's up to Veolia to prove it was you (security footage, a good description). If they just say they have no proof, or their only proof was an ID that you have reported stolen and have a Garda case number to support it would be wrong to do you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Neiler, I was thinking of using this excuse myself for a train fine, but decided it is more hassle than its worth so i just paid the 40 quid ! :P

If the fines are issued between tickets then he wouldn't be in the clear.

he buys a 7 day ticket every week...no gaps...if he does...

" i do pay the 7 day weekly flexi ticket for all stops everyweek"

he buys a 7 day ticket every week...no gaps...if he does...

" i do pay the 7 day weekly flexi ticket for all stops everyweek"

True. Mind you, we have established that he is talking out of his arse and making ****e up as he goes along so it probably isn't applicable in his case :D

don't beat about the bush, tell us what you really think Losty

don't beat about the bush, tell us what you really think Losty

I hate Cortinas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

An interesting thread start history all right.

Loan sharks, fake ID, selling cameras for cash, what details are on a death certificate... but I thought the best one was what fonts do banks use on statements. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Did the Op sell his ID TO a Nigerian loan shark operation with a bookie /pawn shopfor a front AND near a Luas line. Should be easy for the constabulary that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your best line of attack is having back-to-back weekly, monthly or annual tickets.

This will deal with the times that you acknowledge you received fines.

Your post history doesn't cover you in glory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Previously you have

Case closed :). Nice one Armani.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I would be thankful if my identity was stolen and the worst the perpetrator could do was gather a fine or two on the LUAS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement