Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Additional Maternity Leave

Options
  • 21-02-2011 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I intend to take 4 weeks additional maternity leave. I know I need to provide my employer with written notice of this. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and what exactly you wrote in the letter to your employer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bensboys

I availed of this last year, all I stated in the letter to my employer that I intended to take unpaid maternity leave of ... starting from the ... and finishing on ..... please note that this needs to be applied for at least 6 weeks prior to the completion of paid maternity leave.

Good luck and enjoy your time off it flies!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Coinsias

Is it six weeks or four weeks notice??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I don't know if it varies from company to company but I can take up to 16 weeks unpaid leave.

As already said, you need to inform your employers in writing in advance, but it's a simple statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

From Citizen's Info

Additional maternity leave

From 1 March 2007 you are also entitled to take up to a further 16 weeks’ additional maternity leave. This period is not covered by Maternity Benefit, nor is your employer obliged, unless otherwise agreed, to make any payment during this period - see below. If you become ill while you are on additional maternity leave you may ask your employer if you may end the additional maternity leave. If your employer agrees you will not be entitled to the remainder of the maternity leave but will be treated as being on sick leave and you may be entitled to Illness Benefit.

Also:

Return to work: You must give your employer at least 4 weeks' written notice of your intention to return to work

It is important to comply with these notice requirements, as failure to do so may cause loss of rights.

You must notify your employer as soon as possible if you wish to postpone your maternity leave (but remember, your employer can refuse this application).

from here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html

Does anyone know if you have worked for 10 years then go on maternity leave 1 year then on maternity the next year, do you get full maternity benefit(€262)?

I know m b is based on the year previous, so are you credited with a PRSI contribution while on M b?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Coinsias

I know I have to give notice. Just want to know how to word it right and how much information do I have to give i.e. just the dates or do I need to state a reason??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Just give the dates, they don't need, or have any entitlement to, anything more than that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah I just had to ring them and tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you have worked for 10 years then go on maternity leave 1 year then on maternity the next year, do you get full maternity benefit(€262)?

I know m b is based on the year previous, so are you credited with a PRSI contribution while on M b?

Yes you are credited with PRSI contributions as its meant to be deemed the same as if you were in continuous employment!

Also just a heads up with additional unpaid leave you can claim PRSI contributions at the end of it so your not left completely short handed,

Quoted from your Link!

PRSI contributions: you will automatically be awarded PRSI credits while you are getting Maternity Benefit. If you avail of unpaid additional maternity leave you must get your employer to complete an application form for maternity leave credits after you return to work.

Advertisement