Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC World Clearance

• 21-10-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Was in PC World yesterday and noticed a few laptops that were on clearance that seemed to be good value. Was hoping to get some feedback before I took the plunge.

TOSHIBA C850D-107 €435
    ASUS A53U €435

The processor seems to be the weak link in these laptops but would they be fine for internet, email and watching movies.

Toshiba image
    Asus image attached

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

cooperguy wrote: »
    seemed to be good value.

Anything but good value. AMD Fusion processors just suck. You'll get Core i3 laptops for less than 400 yoyos these days, even in B&M stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Torqay wrote: »

Anything but good value. AMD Fusion processors just suck. You'll get Core i3 laptops for less than 400 yoyos these days, even in B&M stores.
    Thanks for the reply! I knew the processors weren't great but wasnt sure how bad. lll take my time and get something online so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

PCWorld/Currys have great deals on ultrabooks for the last few days.
    Got a UX32A for €650 (£530) yesterday in Ballymena. It's only reduced to €800 in the republic.
    Sony and Samsung ultrabooks for £500, but they are probably sold out of most branches by now.

Thanks for the reply! I knew the processors weren't great but wasnt sure how bad.

To give you an idea... the E1 1200 in the ASUS

201210211342.jpg

is comparable to a standard netbook processor from Intel.

201210211344.jpg

And here is the entry level Sandy Bridge Core i3.

201210211345.jpg

While the AMD Radeon HD 7310 in the AMD Fusion processor may beat the Intel GMA in a netbook, it doesn't stand a chance against Intel's HD 3000 IGP in a Sandy Bridge CPU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Torqay wrote: »
    To give you an idea... the E1 1200 in the ASUS

201210211342.jpg

is comparable to a standard netbook processor from Intel.

201210211344.jpg

And here is the entry level Sandy Bridge Core i3.

201210211345.jpg

While the AMD Radeon HD 7310 in the AMD Fusion processor may beat the Intel GMA in a netbook, it doesn't stand a chance against Intel's HD 3000 IGP in a Sandy Bridge CPU.

Where do you get those CPU mark scores from Torqay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That UX32A is a great price. Lovely laptop.

Where do you get those CPU mark scores from Torqay?

Google processor model, i.e. "2310M passmark"

201210211502.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Am I right in saying ultrabooks normally don't have CD drives. I need a cd drive which is what put me off them.

My laptop died and I'm trying to find a reasonable replacement at short notice. And because this is a surprise purchase ny budget is relatively tight.

Oh and thanks for those benchmarks Torqay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

External cd drive?

Am I right in saying ultrabooks normally don't have CD drives. I need a cd drive which is what put me off them.

My laptop died and I'm trying to find a reasonable replacement at short notice. And because this is a surprise purchase ny budget is relatively tight.

Oh and thanks for those benchmarks Torqay!

Most ultrabooks don't have optical drives (not sure about the new 15.6" "ultrabooks").

The cheapest Ultrabook has to be the Vizio Thin & Light (Ivy Core i3 ULV, a real 128 GB SSD, 600 Dollar on Amazon or €470, not available in Europe).

If you need a laptop with a DVD drive and the budget is tight, then Ultrabooks are not for you, better look elsewhere. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement