Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenova U410

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,055 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Only comment on it would be the weight, 1.8kg sounds heavy for an ultrabook, but then it is a 14"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Held one of these machines today, it was a friends who had bought that exact model. It's a very snappy machine indeed, but there is some heft to it. I wouldn't get it into your head that it's an ultrabook, it's more of a thin-ish 14" laptop imo.

I really liked the feel of it, and I'm tempted by it myself, especially at those specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Finn Dub

Yeah, I'm very tempted, 1.8kg is pretty good for a 14", a good kg lighter than my current one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

If I had to choose between the U410 and the E330, I'd take the latter. ThinkPad build quality is legendary, not much between the processors and the money I save easily buys a proper 128GB SSD.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

But the E330 is fugly:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

But the E330 is fugly:P

Not a beauty, but what do you want? Something to show off or rather a companion which can take some real abuse? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭JerryHispano

I have been seriously considering buying this, but there seems to be 2 possible problems with it according to the lenovo forums, poor wifi performance (see the u310 thread on the lenovo forum, also applies to the u410) and battery life not being as advertised (ie low and checking the battery capacity in Linux reports a smaller capacity than is on the box).

It might be a case of something being too good to be true, check out the forum for yourself.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/bd-p/ideaPad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

There is a thread about the wifi on boards, Komplett confirmed their stock was from 08/08/2012 which is after the issue was fixed. I haven't had any problems with wifi since getting one last week.

The battery life is a problem for me, I removed Smart Update last night so I will keep an eye on it: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/ideapad-u410-battery-life-experience/td-p/797145

I will give an update on battery next week.

Build quality is fairly good, a couple of annoyances with the keyboard:
    - the keyboard inlay / frame is separate to the case and when I press some of the top row of keys the inlay moves.
    - the size of the shift key
    - the tracker pad is a bit annoying, I've used multiple tracker pads on Thinkpads and half a dozen Dell laptops, the U410 one is probably least favorite - it doesn't have seperate buttons which may be why I am having issues with it.

I haven't used it that much yet so can't give much more info.

One thing, if you order from Komplett be sure to select the 3 pin plug adaptor option otherwise you will get a 2 pin plug on the power adaptor. I think the 3 pin adaptor fits around the 2 pin plug.

Hi Juan, thanks for giving your experiences. Good to hear about the wifi, though if you report that the battery life is still terrible with the smart update removed, then it'd be hard to justify buying it.

That's crazy about the battery life, my mate is saying he gets 5ish hours out of his.

I noticed that my Asus zenbook came with an Asus battery manager, and on it's powersaver option it was eating through the battery, as in Windows was reporting 2.5 hours on a full charge! I removed the software, selected the standard windows powersaver option, which tbh, just sets the screen brightness down and it gave me 5+ hours, to about 20%, so another hour or so until I had to charge it.

I was happy enough with that. Nothing amazing, but daycent.

• Advertisement

Just got this last night, typing away on it now. Anyone know what language the keyboard should be in? I'm lacking any form of a backslash key, which I would consider essential.

I've tried changing to us, uk and german and still not having any luck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Just got this last night, typing away on it now. Anyone know what language the keyboard should be in? I'm lacking any form of a backslash key, which I would consider essential.

I've tried changing to us, uk and german and still not having any luck.

IS it that you can't see one or it doesn't work? If you ordered from Komplett it should have shipped with a US International layout, in which case backslash key should be near the backspace/enter keys in the top right hand side depending on the exact keyboard layout.

What gets outputted when the backslash key gets pressed in US layout?

Just got it there, had to change the language on the notification tray after adding it in keyboard settings.

It shows that I never bought a laptop online before!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Just got it there, had to change the language on the notification tray after adding it in keyboard settings.

It shows that I never bought a laptop online before!

Ah forgot about that, I have a US layout keyboard on my deskop and that setting leaving me scratching my head for a few hours as well when I first plugged it in as well :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Hi Juan, thanks for giving your experiences. Good to hear about the wifi, though if you report that the battery life is still terrible with the smart update removed, then it'd be hard to justify buying it.

Meant to respond earlier, the battery is much better now.

Mine is getting about 5.5 hours with Windows on the lowest performance setting with fairly low backlight level and doing things that are not intensive. Not all-day performance by any means.

I've also installed linux and the battery is being reported as 44Wh as opposed to the 56Wh that it's supposed to have (and is even printed on the box). There's a thread about it on the lenovo forums, gonna see how that plays out. Probably well within our rights to return in, it's not as advertised.

Advertisement