Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Pox

Options
  • 24-08-2008 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭

I'm 18 and have never had chicken pox. When I was little, both my sisters got it at the same time (one got it really bad - they were in her mouth and everything! :eek:) All the kids in my class had it too, yet I somehow escaped it.

It has come up in conversation a couple of times and people were really surprised that I never got it. Is it really that unusual to not get it as a child?

Surely there's somebody else out there that has never had it?

Have you had chicken pox? 107 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    84% 90 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    15% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭claret

I got it when I was about 6/7, my little sister got it about 2 weeks after me. The coolest thing was having a bath in stuff that made the water look like a swimming pool....well, to my 6 year old brain anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Dublin_Chica

Had them when i was about 7, remember them being awful. One of my friends had them really bad when she was younger and still has scars on her body and face from them! So glad i got them tho young tho, because apparently you get shingels (sp?) instead when you’re older and they do not sound pleasant at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

I got them when I was 19. Horrible, in my mouth, ears eye lids etc. Took a fit aswell. Ive heard different things but I think you can get them a second and third time. That get them once and your fine thing is nt true, as far as I know and the net syas different things about getting them as an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

My mother had it when I was in the womb so I've always had an immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    yeah thats true alright, can damage your nervous system alot apparently and be worse for your organs. Another reason to get sick while young, and have to take a week off school:D

Got it when i was around 4-5 so i'm ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I'm a pox-bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Had it years ago, I took many a Calamine lotion baths.

Mmmmmmmm...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I seem to recall I was about 7 or 8 at the time. Further seem to recall I was fairly miserable, but not intolerably so.

My understanding is that CP is a fairly rare disease these days, and that it is no longer one of those things which one is routinely expected to get when they are under ten. Back in the early 80s when I caught them, it was more or less a rite of passage.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

I seem to recall I was about 7 or 8 at the time. Further seem to recall I was fairly miserable, but not intolerably so.

My understanding is that CP is a fairly rare disease these days, and that it is no longer one of those things which one is routinely expected to get when they are under ten. Back in the early 80s when I caught them, it was more or less a rite of passage.

NTM

don't think that's true. my son has been in creche for 2 and a half years and there's been at least 4 outbreaks in that time. he finally caught it and passed it on to his brother.

basically, if you escaped it as a kid, you'll catch it when you have kids. simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i had it when i was around 7.have a fair few scars left from it.
    even have two on the side of my stomach and it looks like the holes in an a4 pad for a folder.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

had it when i was 10-11 missed the summer exams... class! I've also had shingles when i was about 20 apart from feeling sick nowt much to say there....
    My kids have both had it when they were 4-5, my son has a small scar above his eye from where he scratched while sleeping one night... but all the girls will think he's cool when he's older...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I had it when I was about 5 when I was on holidays in Cyprus. I remember rubbing my back up against the side of a pool because they were so itchy. My sister got them really bad and has scars on her face from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,277 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'm 18 and have never had chicken pox. When I was little, both my sisters got it at the same time (one got it really bad - they were in her mouth and everything! :eek:) All the kids in my class had it too, yet I somehow escaped it.

It has come up in conversation a couple of times and people were really surprised that I never got it. Is it really that unusual to not get it as a child?

Surely there's somebody else out there that has never had it?

If you get it when you are older its curtains !:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've never had it either! My little sister and brother got it at the same time, and in retrospect I can see that my mother tried to expose me to it but it didnt work. I'm dreading it! Is it a certainty that I'll get it at some stage in life?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Never had chicken pox. I'm 24 now, so I'm looking forward to shingles! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chris d

got it as a 25 year old last year. it really really sucked.
    you can keep getting it as well, hello shingles.

a.hole of a virus.

Nightwish wrote: »
    I've never had it either! My little sister and brother got it at the same time, and in retrospect I can see that my mother tried to expose me to it but it didnt work. I'm dreading it! Is it a certainty that I'll get it at some stage in life?

Well yes unfortunately... Its a fairly prevalent and easily caught virus, so unless you bubble yourself right now, you are gonna get it...

Virus gonna get ya. nanananana!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yeah, I had it when I was 10 or 11. I still have a little scar on the side of my face from it. I don't remember a lot about it apart from my getting it during the school holidays :mad:

I think there's a vaccine for it. Might be worth looking into

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

My granny kept chickens and the fox was always taking them

The secret is good fencing really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Well yes unfortunately... Its a fairly prevalent and easily caught virus, so unless you bubble yourself right now, you are gonna get it...

Virus gonna get ya. nanananana!

oh balls... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

yup got it as a youngun!!!!

had one on me heel too, so i was limping around while i had em too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Had it once when I was about 8 really bad.

Then again when I was 12, wasnt too bad that time.

Then had them when I was 13 and barely noticed... :p

where'd you live?.... in a chickenpox leper colony?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

had chickenpox twice, once around the time of my communion and again when i was about 11. thought i was safe from all the childhood diseases after that until i got mumps three years ago when i was 26. still the week off work eating icecream was great. it was like being 8 again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

55 against 10 - so it's kinda unusual, but atleast there are others like me who'll be fcuked when the inevitable bout of shingles arrives :(
    I have a nephew who's almost 1 - if he gets it, he'll have to be kept away from me for a couple of weeks!
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    If you get it when you are older its curtains !:eek:

Thanks for those reassuring words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

NTM

Maybe you're thinking of measles?

Chicken pox overruns the infant and first classes of primary school in the first term usually, most children being back at school within ten days. It certainly is one of the routine illnesses of childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Nightwish wrote: »

Pretty much what my own mother did to me. My little sister got it and she made sure i got it off her to get it done with. If i had been old enough to understand how viruses spread i might of been pissed off.

Pox party is the way to go. Tough love and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Had them when I was about 5 or 6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Yeah i had chicken pox as a kid!

Advertisement