Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on this laptop please

Options
  • 20-10-2012 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hey,

I am thinking to get my aunt to pick up this laptop for me tomorrow in the north. I was looking at pc world here and it works out over €60 more expensive.

Just wondering whats your opinion on this? I wont be playing games and I already bought a new samsung 256 ssd for whatever new laptop i get. I will be using it for college. Just looking for a good, reliable laptop that wont let me down - I think Asus are a good name with pc components.
    Thanks for your help :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

I've had a few ASUS and they tend to be great build quality for the price. They feel much sturdier than other brands to me. the i3 is a decent enough for most college tasks. I had a similar build laptop last year and it ran most college engineering software fine, autocad, matlab, ansys etc and the usual college stuff grand. 370 is a decent price for that, and it looks a fairly good battery life.

My biggest concern would be that it only has two usb ports, and I think they may be on either side. A 320gb hard drive, no optical bay to add a second one, means if you wanted additional storage on the go you would need an external drive and most drives of a large size will require two ports to power and access the drive. That would be a deal killer for me. Two usb ports can be quite limiting.

There's a good few laptops in the 400 euro range which might suit better, there's a few threads on here about it. But if the number of usb ports doesn't bother you, I don't think you'll find many similar spec laptops for under 400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

OP already bought a 256 GB SSD to replace the HDD (which can then be used in an external caddy). RAM is also easily upgraded.

370 yoyos is an excellent deal for a B&M store. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tdh

Thanks alot guys for the feedback.
    I was reading up on it a fair bit and there are alot of people complaining about the spacebar- apparently it takes a hard press to register and it is very common with this models of Asus. Its a shame as its really great apart from this and it would infuriate me as I will be doing alot of typing.

2 usbs is fine for me, i will only have a mouse in normally and I got a usb hub and an external dvd drive if needed. I'll keep my eyes peeled for something else. Pity cos I really wanted that one :rolleyes:
    cheers

Advertisement