Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Laptop

Options
  • 18-10-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hey I was wondering what I should take into account when buying a laptop for college?, Just want it for surfing and typing,from what I can gather the netbooks are a waste of time if you plan on doing a lot of typing?

Portability is my main concern i would like to bring it to lectures to take notes, so I assume battery life is the next consideration, other than that I only require a Webcam/mic but I assume that is standard these days?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

steoin wrote: »
    Hey I was wondering what I should take into account when buying a laptop for college?, Just want it for surfing and typing,from what I can gather the netbooks are a waste of time if you plan on doing a lot of typing?

Portability is my main concern i would like to bring it to lectures to take notes, so I assume battery life is the next consideration, other than that I only require a Webcam/mic but I assume that is standard these days?

Thanks

You want to take weight and size into consideration - less than 2kg and a 13.3" or 11.6" screen size. Also consider if you will need an optical drive for CDs and various ports if you'll be doing presentations.

Battery life is of course important (though many lecture theatres have loads of sockets) so get something with a ULV processor to go easy on it.

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

You want to take weight and size into consideration - less than 2kg and a 13.3" or 11.6" screen size. Also consider if you will need an optical drive for CDs and various ports if you'll be doing presentations.

Battery life is of course important (though many lecture theatres have loads of sockets) so get something with a ULV processor to go easy on it.

What's your budget?

Preferably a 13.3 I suppose ideally a built in drive but i suppose Its not that big a deal having an external 1

My budget was €400 but I see its gonna have to be €500, Is buying 2nd hand or refurbished a big no no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Google have just leaked they will be launching a new laptop called the Chromebook which sounds exactly like what you're after.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/samsung-chromebook-series-3/4505-3121_7-35500150.html

Edit - btw this is the Samsung model which it's based on which would also be perfect for your needs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-305U-11-6-inch-Laptop/dp/B007VBBYOM

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

13.3" Tosh for €455 at LD.ie... and it's got a real processor. :D

2 GB RAM is rather low, but another 2 gig is only 20 yoyos or so.

PLKnd.jpg

Believe me, you don't want an AMD E450 processor. ;)

0NvN1.jpg

Funny here is a comprehensive review showing them performance wise to be very similar.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/657239-amd-e-350-e-450-intel-i3-2367-compared.html

You also get the extra 2GB, it's cheaper, has a matte screen and is far nicer style wise.

Personally having used the E450 it handles everything thrown at it with ease. That includes multiple tabs, HD video etc and all together without ever showing any sluggishness.

Edit - On top of that this is basically what I was trying to put across, given the outline in the OP.
    All I see here is i3 is faster at processing than the E450. Well of course it is. However, has anyone wondered that you don't need lots of processing power for surfing the web and general light usuage?

What does matter is the GPU. As multimedia is everywhere now, a decent GPU is required and this is what has been lacking.

I would go for the E450, as it will offer better battery life, better graphics for rendering websites and video.

Opr

• Advertisement

opr wrote: »
    Funny here is a comprehensive review showing them performance wise to be very similar.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/657239-amd-e-350-e-450-intel-i3-2367-compared.html

Very similar??? Please...

52277401.jpg

37724617.jpg

When it comes to number crunching and media encoding, an AMD Fusion processor cannot hold a candle to a Core i3 processor. The i3 2377M in the Tosh is even better than the one used in those benchmarks. The AMD Fusion is netbook material, comparable to an Intel Atom.

I have added an edit to my last post. What does the OP need extra grunt if all he is going to be doing is taking notes and surfing the web?

Opr

I would go for the E450, as it will offer better battery life, better graphics for rendering websites and video.

Better battery life? Hardly.

Intel Core i3 277M = 17W max TDP
    AMD E450 = 18W max TDP

Better graphics? Debatable.

Intel HD 3000
    Radeon HD 6320

I have added an edit to my last post. What does the OP need extra grunt if all he is going to be doing is taking notes and surfing the web?

Opr

well, I'd rather pay 120 yoyos more for something future proof with more steam under the hood and a better display, 11 inch is rather painful for extensive sessions, I'd much prefer 13".

Torqay wrote: »
    well, I'd rather pay 120 yoyos more for something future proof with more steam under the hood and a better display, 11 inch is rather painful for extensive sessions, I'd much prefer 13".

Yeah but again my point is why does the OP need all this for surfing the web and taking notes? It's over a hundred euro dearer, Samsung has a matte screen finish which will be perfect for note taking, better graphically and has 2GB extra, lighter more portable and is far more stylish.

You don't seem to be taking into account what the machine is going to be used for.

Opr

• Advertisement

I still think we're comparing apples with oranges. The Samsung is a netbook, a stylish travel companion if you will, the Tosh is more of a workhorse which can take on some serious workload if need be, more suitable for college work.

I still think we're comparing apples with oranges. The Samsung is a netbook, a stylish travel companion if you will, the Tosh is more of a workhorse which can take on some serious workload if need be, more suitable for college work.

Cool and I would probably agree with you if the intended use wasn't as outlined in the OP. Just to say performance wise I was quite shocked at just how good the E450 runs. It's head and shoulders above any Netbook I have used.

For example I was able to be streaming a live video online, have utorrent downloading stuff, skype open in the background with other stuff going on and still be able to surf multiple tabs on chrome without any noticeable lag.

Opr

OK for leisure computing, certainly. But requirements may change somewhat during college years, you'll never know. Better be on the safe side with a budget of 500 yoyos. ;)

I'd rather put the money saved towards sticking a SSD in the Samsung :P

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

13.3" Tosh for €455 at LD.ie... and it's got a real processor. :D

QUOTE]

Cheers for everything guys I think I will go with this option better safe than sorry, Its at the tip of my budget, also looking at the chromebook it doesnt allow use of skype which I do need gonna order it next week, can't wait.

According to Crucial's memory upgrade advisor, the little Tosh can take up to 8 GB RAM (2x4 GB). I suppose it comes with 1 x 2 GB, if you add 4 GB (~€20) you'll have 6 GB, or go for an 8 GB kit (2x4 GB, ~€36) and get two identical modules.

Advertisement