Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did Battlestar Galactica loose the plot?

Options
  • 16-03-2011 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

I think it was when Starbuck came back from the dead
    and 4 of the final 5 Cylons started hearing the music that
    lead them to be suddenly aware that they were Cylons.

Such a shame, as Season 2 was good.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

....... it was AWESOME!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Flash86

I really don't think it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

it didnt it was good right up the last episode, caprica hasnt grbbed me but i might give it another go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

It was great all the way through to the end. How the starbuck thing played out was the only flaw in my eyes but it was good wondering what was going on for a bit.

Great series.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,913 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Second half of season 3.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Stark wrote: »
    Second half of season 3.

Agreed, all the Cylon pondering about existence and there supposed
    reverence of the Final 5, it was tough to sit through, a bit like Fair City in space.

I really liked the stuff from the first and second season, with Helo and Boomer
    trapped on Cylon Occupied Caprica, and the resistance movement formed
    by the Caprica Buccaneers.

And the whole religious cult formed by Balter, that was weak. As was the
    Sam Anders "Total Recall" memory effort when he was shot in the head.

Overall I liked the series, but like Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, V
    and Star Trek: Enterprise they could have been so much better.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, this is a forum for fans after all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think it did either, but if it happened at any time it was in the series finale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i dont think it lost the plot, but alot of stuff just kinda started to go a bit... loose

the angels thing, the "lolz god did it" lost style ending, the abandoning all technology to live as dirt farmers on earth (that always bugged the crap out of me, it was a death sentence for anyone with any sort of illness that generation or the next couple of thousand). I kinda lost a bit of respect for bsg when I found out they hadn't planned out the final five from the beginning, but spent the time between one of the seasons figuring out who they would be and how they could write it in.

granted every show can't be babylon 5 but.. yeuch, for such an important plot point to be just thrown together at the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, the idea that whole fleet would unanimously decide that the best course of action was to send their ships into the sun so they could split into small groups and head into the wilderness to have sex with the natives (who probably would have skinned them and eat them alive) was utterly ridiculous.

I always felt the show should have ended with Apollo and Starbuck leading the remainder of the fleet off into space, possibly towards a new world (not real Earth), while Adama and everyone else died in the suicide mission to save Hera with just a single raptor carrying Hera and Boomer surviving. The Opera House should have been left a mystery. Same with "the messengers", but it could have been implied that they were an advanced alien species (think 2001, not Star Trek) that sought to guide humanity. Which isn't much better than what we got, but it beats angels from God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

granted every show can't be babylon 5 but.. yeuch.

Now that was a show that lost the plot big time.

The whole anti-climax of the Shadow wars - a terrible disappointment -
    Let's all be friends - yawn. I think the studio chickend out of having
    the much-prophesised massacre, as this would probably have raised the rating above PG.

When Kosh the Vorlon who lived in the poisionous gas room turns out
    to be a do-gooder angel - terrible. He was such a cool and mysterious character.

I remember your one with the black eyes who worked for the Psi division,
    now that was some scary stuff.

Mr. Chekov, Walter Koenig from Star Trek did his best to add some weight to the bad guy role.

Is this on Sky anywhere?

• Advertisement

To be fair though, B5's resolution was greatly rushed in the fourth season due to JMS's belief that show faced imminent cancellation. If not for that, the Shadow War wouldn't have been resolved until mid-5th season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

kosh wasn't a good guy though, the vorlons had spent millenia manipulating and subtly controlling the younger races, treating them as pawns in their fraternal spat with the shadows. granted kosh was a less dickish vorlon than most, but he was still kind of an asshole over all.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

It lost the plot from the very start imo.
    They took a reimagined series and that was going to be flimsy at best...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It lost the plot from the very start imo.
    They took a reimagined series and that was going to be flimsy at best...

..... and?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

..... and?
    The rest is history :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,249 ✭✭✭✭noodler

A brilliant show that sometimes dipped below brilliance?

Doesn't mean it 'lost the plot' imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

noodler wrote: »
    A brilliant show that sometimes dipped below brilliance?

Doesn't mean it 'lost the plot' imo.

+1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It lost the plot after the epic mini series, when it went to series.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i just felt the last couple of series were just thrown together with little thought put into the actual ending
    it just seemed like they had no clue how it was going to end and were writing it on a week to week basis

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

It lost the plot after the epic mini series, when it went to series.

Is this guy havin' a laugh?!

• Advertisement

irishthump wrote: »
    Is this guy havin' a laugh?!

I am almost certain he is. The mini-series was downright cheesey compared to the main series.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The only episode I didn't like was the boxing one called "Unfinished Business". Totally pointless imo. That and the weak Starbuck is an angel conclusion in the final episode.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The only episode I didn't like was the boxing one called "Unfinished Business". Totally pointless imo. That and the weak Starbuck is an angel conclusion in the final episode.

Never understood the hate on this episode.

The boxing scenes were cool and they provided some much needed insight into life on New Caprica in the year before the Cylons found them.

It also shows how Lee and Kara got together again and how Roslin and Adama's relationship progressed.

It also contained one of Bear McCreary's masterpieces in "Violence and Variations"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

This programme never lost the plot. It was ****ing epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I watched the entire series in 2 weeks, it never lost the plot I think. I know that there are places where the writers literally were pulling stuff out of their ass, but I think what they pulled out was masterful. Great dialogue, great characters. I turned into a fanboy fast. The last episode had me in awe, absolutely loved it.

I'm actually going to the Battlestar Galactica exhibit somewhere in Seattle next week when I go over to visit a friend! :) It's gonna be fantastic I think.

On the topic of Starbuck though, the coming back from the dead I still don't really understand properly (an angel maybe?), but how it played with her being the harbringer of death was awesome, given all the people of the 12 colonies did eventually die out as alluded to by Hera being Primordial Eve and a new "race" was born, us, all of whom share a common ancestry in Primordial Eve (who actually existed). So yeah, my opinion is that the show is freaking awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

from the start putting all that relgious nonsense in it. maybe sice ds9

bazz26 wrote: »

Sorry to harp on - I justgot round to watching the extended version of Unfinished Business on Blu Ray (it wasn't included on the R2 DVDs).

It is awesome - there a good 25 minutes of extra footage : some real big character points in there
    Kara told Tigh that she slept with Lee that night - it was him who (in a round about sort of way) convinced her to make a choice raegarding Lee/Anders plus she proposed to Anders that morning.

Dualla is outright told by Kara that she and Lee have slept together before - we subsequently see Lee's propoal to Dualla and she pretty much admits she knows she is merely a stopgap until Kara comes back into his life.

I have to say I think its a fabulous episode overall - watching Lee and Helo fight - Adama and the Chief etc. And the music - one of Bear McCreary's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

noodler wrote: »
    Sorry to harp on - I justgot round to watching the extended version of Unfinished Business on Blu Ray (it wasn't included on the R2 DVDs).

It is awesome - there a good 25 minutes of extra footage : some real big character points in there
    Kara told Tigh that she slept with Lee that night - it was him who (in a round about sort of way) convinced her to make a choice raegarding Lee/Anders plus she proposed to Anders that morning.

Dualla is outright told by Kara that she and Lee have slept together before - we subsequently see Lee's propoal to Dualla and she pretty much admits she knows she is merely a stopgap until Kara comes back into his life.

I have to say I think its a fabulous episode overall - watching Lee and Helo fight - Adama and the Chief etc. And the music - one of Bear McCreary's finest.

Yes, I loved that episode too - such fine character development, and I think a break was needed at the time from the main plot.

If I were to pick a single bad episode, it'd be Scar. The dialogue was weaker than it had been for much of the rest of the show, I found the premise a bit silly and there seemed to be no major impact on the rest of the series. But I still liked it - it just wasn't as good as the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

the angels thing, the "lolz god did it" lost style ending

:eek: How can you even make such a comparison ? Where to begin with how you are wrong ? Firstly - BSG finished first so if anything lost had a bsg style ending. Or it tried to. Badly. Secondly - BSG had a brilliant god did it ending that was interwined with long running themes of the show and it came together very well. Sure some didn't liek it btu you can't deny it was well drafted.

On the other hand the lost ending was the ultimate kick in the teeth to those who thought there was any semblance of a plot. It was essentially "all kinds a mad random crap happened. lolz jacob did it. lolz he didn't mother did it. lolz no she didn't. lolz everybody is actually dead. lolz. None of it bore any relation to any other of it.....lolz"

granted every show can't be babylon 5 but.. yeuch, for such an important plot point to be just thrown together at the end.

Ok so B5 started out all planned out but it didnt' end up that way. For one thing Bruce Boxleitner was brought in at the command of the network to raise the profile of the show. The original plan was to keep the original captain there. Thus rewrites ensued. Then there were cancellations and cancelled cancellations all of which brought redrafts of the arc plot. Really its just not possible to write a show 5 years in advance for various reasons of practicality

A pity Crusade didn't last. But yet another in a long line of scifi spin offs that didn't work.

lol....saw this one link someone posted and thought it was funny:
    Randomer A:
    Between Farscape and Babylon 5, which would you choose?

Randomer B:
    Babylon 5. Only one of the major characters is played by a puppet. And he doesn't look like Kermit's long lost cousin.

Hahaha

• Advertisement

BSG's finale bore absolutely no resemblance to the Lost finale. The only thing they had in common was that a lot of people were disappointed with them.

In fact, the Lost finale very carefully sidestepped many of the pitfalls that BSG fell into. There was no blatant use of deus ex machina in the Lost finale, where as there was probably at least a dozen different cases of it in the BSG finale. I don't have a problem with deus ex machina when it is used properly, but Moore just used it out of laziness. And then he almost broke the fourth wall at the end with one of the most ridiculous cameos I've ever seen. It's one thing to say "God did it", it's another to imply that "God" is the writer.

What Lost did have, however, was a big huge MacGuffin that the writers made no attempt to explain, which, given that it was a mystery show and they had promised answers, was obviously a big problem for many fans. The revelation of the final scenes are very misunderstood though, with many people ascribing far greater importance to it than was actually intended. It's true that most of the mystery wasn't tied up, but BSG was hardly any better in this regard. What was explained was explained as "God did it", while other things were just forgotten about.

Advertisement