Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porcelain Tile - scuff/scratch mark

• 19-10-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Hoping someone will be able to give some advice on removal of scuff/scratch to a new polished porcelain tile. The tiles have have just been laid and it looks like the plumber caused the problem when installing the toilet. I wouldn't say that they are scratches because there is no change in the feel of the tile when I run my finger over them but they are dull so the light from the window behind really shows them up.

Is it possible to polish up a few scuff marks on a porcelain tile or is replacement the only option?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If its only scuff marks they can be cleaned. Scratches will be difficult. Can you take a photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

If its only scuff marks they can be cleaned. Scratches will be difficult. Can you take a photo.

Thanks, i'll get a photo later. What would you try to clean it with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

i know there is a mild abrasive paste available which is used for removal of metal marks or scuffs from tiles and sanitary ware. I use swarfega or cif cream with a side order of elbow grease and it usually works without damaging the tile surface

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

There is heavy duty tile grout cleaner you acn at any tile shop. That would do the trick and is designed for that type of job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

As said there is heavy duty cleaners but if i saw the mark i could nearly tell you if it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

I tried to take a photo of the marks this morning but it was actually too bright for the camera. They are very noticable when the light shines in from the window but the same light is too bright to take the photo.

I was looking again at them and while they are smooth when rubbed over with a finger, you can feel the scratch if run over with a finger nail. So they are definately scratched, just not badly scratched.

I may be able to get a picture using a light from a different direction later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 parrotbay

Hello everyone,

I had recently had my porcelain tile (shiny or glazed) layed and when the movers came they left nice scuff marks on parts of porcelain flooring. I went through several blog posts. First, I tried to clean the area with a sponge and white vinegar. What actually worked for me was Arm and Hammer toothpaste with peroxide. With a little bit of elbow grease, the dark heavy scuffs are now but gone. After that, I thoroughly rinsed the area with water as to not leave that sitting too long. So far, I am happy with the results!

Advertisement