Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Preparation,water,electricity etc.

Options
  • 03-08-2013 8:44am
    Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hello Folks,

I am looking to buy a prefabricated house. I have only seen them on the net so far.
    Anyway, before I get that far I need to sort out a few other things.
    I have no idea how to go about applying for planning permission. And what do I submit,- the plans for the house direct from manufacturer?
    I need to prepare the site beforehand, the manufacturers say a strip foundation is sufficient. And bringing on water,electricity and digging a septic tank? Anyone know costs,work involved? And how will the house plans tie in with whatever site facilities are needed? Or should I erect the house and worry about things like water and electricity afterwards.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

As regards the planning you have two options,
    1 do it your self - cheaper and most difficult
    2 hire a professional to get the project through planning. -more expensive and easy

If you go with option 1. Read the relevant planning authorities web site, then go to the building regs for the info as regards treatment plants and disabled access etc..
    It really is a pain in the hole.

I'm just finishing a self build and I got an engineer to get it through planning.
    Remember you may need soak tests and depending on location possibly environmental assessments.

As regards services I'd need to see the plans of the house I.e. what type of foundation, does it sit on blocks, I'm assuming that it does not use a traditional raft or strip. If on blocks then it will be quite easy to link up services without the need to worry about them at this stage.

• Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭johneym

thanks a lot for your response Boiled.
    You are a gentleman
    They actually want a strip foundation with 20 cm block work on it.
    Do u think its possible to do without an engineer?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

johneym wrote: »
    thanks a lot for your response Boiled.
    You are a gentleman
    They actually want a strip foundation with 20 cm block work on it.
    Do u think its possible to do without an engineer?

Of course it is possible...but as your investing probably 10s of thousands if it was me Id get the engineer even if it was just to do the foundation drawing and steel schedule. You can persevere with the planning process your self.

Advertisement