Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint & Plaster... help

Options
  • 30-07-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Could do with some advise!

House is 15yrs old. Previous owners paint jobs were pretty bad and I'm trying to redecorate but running into some relatively major but minor problems.

Part1: Downstairs understairs toilet - paint was flaking off the hallway/toilet wall plasterboard, literally peeled off. On the house wall plaster, there was a wallpaper border midway up. I started stripping it away only to have the two layers of paint underneath peeling away as well. So now, I'm left with paint on the bottom half, plaster midway and paint above. I'm really reluctant to try and strip all the paint away on that wall to start with a smooth surface again but what's recommended? If I sand down the parts that haven't peeled, and repaint with two layers, will it be enough to hide any ridges? Or have I a problem where paint was applied to the plaster initially before it was dried out, so is there a primer or something I should use? Or am I faced with the horrendous task of peeling away all the paint...oh help.... :eek:

Part2: Upstairs ensuite bathroom. Ceiling pain peeling away, will be easy to strip it back, but again, what treatment should I do before applying ceiling pain on the exposed plaster?

Part3: Velux window in ensuite bathroom: Varnish is peeling away, and spots of mildew etc. Best way to treat? (more than likely condensation caused)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

carav10 wrote: »
    Could do with some advise!

House is 15yrs old. Previous owners paint jobs were pretty bad and I'm trying to redecorate but running into some relatively major but minor problems.

Part1: Downstairs understairs toilet - paint was flaking off the hallway/toilet wall plasterboard, literally peeled off. On the house wall plaster, there was a wallpaper border midway up. I started stripping it away only to have the two layers of paint underneath peeling away as well. So now, I'm left with paint on the bottom half, plaster midway and paint above. I'm really reluctant to try and strip all the paint away on that wall to start with a smooth surface again but what's recommended? If I sand down the parts that haven't peeled, and repaint with two layers, will it be enough to hide any ridges? Or have I a problem where paint was applied to the plaster initially before it was dried out, so is there a primer or something I should use? Or am I faced with the horrendous task of peeling away all the paint...oh help.... :eek:

Part2: Upstairs ensuite bathroom. Ceiling pain peeling away, will be easy to strip it back, but again, what treatment should I do before applying ceiling pain on the exposed plaster?

Part3: Velux window in ensuite bathroom: Varnish is peeling away, and spots of mildew etc. Best way to treat? (more than likely condensation caused)

Thanks!

1. Go to paint store ( and I dont mean woodies or the likes! )
    2. Tell them you want zinsser bin for your relevant areas

eg. Zinsser perma-white for your ensuite ceiling. There are plenty of products can be purchased and are used to deal with just the issues you are facing.

IMO Zinsser produce a great range of reliable pre and final coatings.

Advertisement