Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high gloss timber flooring

Options
  • 29-07-2013 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi i want to remove carpet from my front room and replace it with 12 inch high gloss laminate flooring. There is under lay under the carpet and i am just wondering can i use this as the underlay under my flooring instead of the white stuff. If not , can you tell me why not.

Thanking You :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Carpet underlay is too thick and will move too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

mp22 wrote: »
    Carpet underlay is too thick and will move too much.

So are you saying there is no way i should use it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

IMO do not use carpet underlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    Hi i want to remove carpet from my front room and replace it with 12 inch high gloss laminate flooring. There is under lay under the carpet and i am just wondering can i use this as the underlay under my flooring instead of the white stuff. If not , can you tell me why not.

Thanking You :)
    As was said its too thick and the floating floor mating edges wouldn't have the support underneath as the sponge effect of the underlay would be ever present.
    If you wanted to keep the underlay for acoustic or thermal reasons then a competent trades person would be needed and might suggest covering the underlay in plywood first
    but this has its own considerations from extra cost to height clearance of doors etc

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭JP85

Go and buy some proper flooring underlay, perhaps a moisture barier too, spending money on a good underlay is highly recommended

• Advertisement
Advertisement